Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post viral fatigue syndrome

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok my mate is a teacher-newly qulaified in forst year of proper teacvhing. She got tonsilitis at half term. had two days off school, went back was sent home for another two days before saw doctor. She had weird pains and no energy and he said she has post viral fatigue syndrome and offered her a two week sick note-she declined and is carrying on regardless.

I have never ever heard of this and wonder if she should listen to the doc-take the two weeks rest. She is worried bout having time off sick as she has only been at the school about 8 weeks, so won't rest.

What can she do to get over this-what caused it other than having a virus (i'm guessing) and how can she avoid it in future. She gets stressed and tired easily anyway-always has done through out uni.

Just thought I'd ask you guys as you always know these obscure things!

Comments

• Options
    Are you seriously asking us to diagnose your friend based on a history of "weird pains and no energy"?

It makes sense that she's going to be tired after 8 weeks of a new job, especially teaching and then having tonsillitis is not going to help.

My only suggestion would be to get plenty of sleep. Whether she takes the sick note or not is up to her, depending on what effect that would have on her career or the school.
  • Options
    kentish no-I just wondred if you guys had heard of it really-just wondered what she should be doing-resting or working!I don't think she will use her sick note-her mom is furious and says she is gonna end up even more ill-but she is an adult and its her life!

groovaybaby yeh she kinda thinks her career is the most important thing atm-esp as she has worked so hard to get where she is.

Gonna see her later see how she is coping!
  • Options
    Speaking from experience here, the absolute worst thing she could be doing is carrying on regardless. It's really difficult to try and slow down a bit, especially on the days when you feel ok but you just have to listen to your body. Took me the best part of five years to work that one out!!

It's her decision in the end but I think that by NOT taking the time off now, she's doing her career far more damage in the long-run. Poor thing :(
  • Options
    I had post viral fatigue syndrome, and it turned into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (also known as M.E), and i was severely ill for over a year with it. Trust me, the last thing you need to do when you've got it is 'work through it'. It doesn't help and it doesn't get better, if anything she'll make it worse. She needs to rest.
  • Options
    Thank you-finally I can say I know of someone else who has had it-I will point her the way of this thread now. Sar ra ra thanks for the info-If she still carries on I'll tell her mom and she can deal with her. Adelle I will try to make her realise but maybe she will have to do so herself-I'll still show her this tho. Thanks!
  • Options
    I had something like that, but it didn't include fatique, it took me almost a year fully to recover from the virus I had. Wasn't nice.