Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I want to stop drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heres the thing;

i really want to stop getting drunk. I dont enjoy it, i hate the state it puts me in and the social situations created by it.

this isnt one of those post-hangover 'never again' things, i dont even drink that regularly....i just dont want it anymore.

the effects of this drug are becoming unpleasurable in their entirety, i cannot think of one thing about being drunk that i would percieve as being pleasurable.

Im not talking about never having a pint for the enjoyment of it, im talking about the use of alcohol as a drug (when you drink to get drunk you are following a behaviour pattern that conforms to my idea of drug use).

i dont have a problem with alcohol or even get drunk that much, so on paper it shouldnt be a problem. But i wonder?

Has anyone had cause to do this before, i think it would be quite an interesting social experiment if anything :confused:

Comments

• Options
    You'd be surprised by the amount of people who don't drink, people who have a good time completely sober. Personally I might stop drinking soon, not for good but for a break, as I've been drinking about once a week lately. I think it's a good idea, it can only do you good, as long as you feel you can still enjoy yourself sober (which you should, because otherwise it would be cause for concern!). :)
  • Options
    Re: I want to stop drinking
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    heres the thing;

i really want to stop getting drunk.
    i dont even drink that regularly....i just dont want it anymore.

the effects of this drug are becoming unpleasurable in their entirety, i cannot think of one thing about being drunk that i would percieve as being pleasurable.

im talking about the use of alcohol as a drug
    i dont have a problem with alcohol
    you obviously do have a problem though.
  • Options
    you obviously do have a problem though.

as i said in the other post, how so? im intrigued :confused:
  • Options
    as i said in the other post, how so? im intrigued :confused:
    someone who doesn't have a problem doesn't realy see any reason to be quitting ...doesn't realy see ...any problems.
    i'm not saying your an alcholic ...different issue.
    there are problem weed smokers ...problem foodies ...
    you talk about a problem but see that you don't have a problem ...see what i mean mate?
  • Options
    you talk about a problem but see that you don't have a problem ...see what i mean mate?

no i dont to be honest.

the only point at which i used the word 'problem' was to express the idea that relinquishing high levels of alcohol intake should not be a hard task.

i think theres a little bit of a conceptual problem here; you are saying that you only ever give up if there is a problem.

This depends on what you define as being problematic.

It is not a problem to me that i do not find a substance pleasurable anymore, this is only a motivational change in my perception of the substance which removes my desire to use it.

Is it to be percieved as a problem, that i no longer wish to take a substance i do not enjoy?

the only thing i could possibly think you are getting at is the fact that the substance effects have themselves become undesirable, but this in itself is a 'problem solved' by abstaining from them.

then all that remains is an absence of the undesirable, which in itself cannot be problematic
  • Options
    I think what Rolly is driving at is that of late you have shown signs of using drugs as an escape, in a problematic way.

The way you have described your recent drug experiences have sounded more like abuse rather than use.

The fact that you are giving up might suggest that you feel there is a problem. However it might be for other reasons.

Well, whatever it is, we worry about you thats all, you're all grown up now but we cant help but still see you as our little martin. Oh, they grow up so fast, you'll be bringing home a girlfriend any day now.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I stopped drinking for about 8 months a couple of years ago. I found there was a weird period of adjustment where I had to get used to being around my friends whilst they were getting progressively more drunk, and tbh progressively more silly... But once I realised it was actually quite fun to be around people who didn't care and wouldn't remember how you behaved, I relaxed and enjoyed myself. People do think it is a bit strange that you have stopped drinking, but they get over it - I just said I was driving/had to get up early etc until people got used to it.

But I would encourage you to try it if you are so inclined. No reason not to, is there?
  • Options
    I'm a virtual tee totaler myself actually, I only drink once a fortnight or so probably, but then have a bad habit of having 10-15 units in one go.
  • Options
    Oh, they grow up so fast, you'll be bringing home a girlfriend any day now.
    :yeees:

I think what Rolly is driving at is that of late you have shown signs of using drugs as an escape, in a problematic way

i suppose you could derrive this idea from my recent posts, and maybe there is an element of that in there, but i would whole heartedly profess the idea that its mainly a fun thing.
    I stopped drinking for about 8 months a couple of years ago. I found there was a weird period of adjustment where I had to get used to being around my friends whilst they were getting progressively more drunk, and tbh progressively more silly... But once I realised it was actually quite fun to be around people who didn't care and wouldn't remember how you behaved, I relaxed and enjoyed myself. People do think it is a bit strange that you have stopped drinking, but they get over it - I just said I was driving/had to get up early etc until people got used to it.

see thats what im getting at! i'd love to be able to do that.

I only drink once a fortnight or so probably, but then have a bad habit of having 10-15 units in one go.

mmm thats what im getting at.
  • Options
    Personally I quite actively dislike hanging around with drunkards, I find them really rather annoying, so either I'll drink with them or I wont bother.

But thats just me.
  • Options
    see thats what im getting at! i'd love to be able to do that.

So do. Just decide one night before you go out that there is absolutely no way you are going to drink, and stick to it. Just to prove to yourself that you can.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Personally I quite actively dislike hanging around with drunkards, I find them really rather annoying, so either I'll drink with them or I wont bother.

But thats just me.

Yes, but you are a grumpy old man. Some of us find it quite liberating.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Yes, but you are a grumpy old man.

There is that, it stems from just not liking people, drunk or otherwise.
  • Options

:chin:

well i dont see it can be much of a problem, given that i've hung around drunken strangers for 8 hours a day for 3 1/2 years (bar work) :confused:

i think im gonna make a go of this tbh.

oh and while we are on the topic...

Anyone heard of Vodbull in Brum? Its held at The Works club on broad street. The idea is that you buy a ticket for £4 and it opens at 8:30pm.

check out the flyer for the next one here

notice the big warning about binge drinking, and how this company have now made it single vodbull for £1 all night? and this was done 'in the light of recent binge drinking awareness' yes?

Well lets consider what happened before this; last Vodbull it was £1 for a double vodbull b4 9pm, then £1.50 for double vodbull 9pm-10pm, then £2.00 for double VB 10pm-11pm, then £2.50 all night til 2am for the same drink.

If you had seen the monumental scale of binge drinking victims in the Medical (a small room about 20ft square so im told, although i only peeked through the door as i couldnt get near it!), that spilled out of the doors into the hallways and the queue outside, i wonder what you would have thought of this.

Everywhere, people being sick into (and out of) buckets, laying half-comatose in the corridoor, no jokes it was like walking into an A+E on a saturday night about 2am.

Now; the systems in place are as follows; one customer can buy only 3 drinks at a time. Thats it. So single VB's from 9pm-2am, for a quid :eek2:

I wonder; do you think its the company that should take the initiative or the punters the responsibility?
  • Options
    Its a tough one because, well people should be able to control their own drinking.

However, drink really shouldnt be that cheap, it encorages binge and over drinking, especially when its mixed with that much caffine.

This really is a matter for the local licencing authority who should be clamping down and stopping any pub/bar/club which does things like this.

That and anyone causing drunken trouble in the streets at night should be hosed down in mace and then dumped on their doorstep.
  • Options
    That and anyone causing drunken trouble in the streets at night should be hosed down in mace and then dumped on their doorstep

:lol: agreed.

i'd love to be able to just press a button and release the gas on a room full of rowdy drunk people, or chase them with Customer pacification sticks that have rags of Cloroform strapped to them 'Just stop struggling it will all be over momentarily....' :D

Vodbull's been going six years.

Oh and we worked out that at the last Vodbull, a freind of mine (who happens to be from Milton Keynes, sight of the famous Sanctuary <RIP> complex that they tried to shut down on drug an health grounds for oh so many years <rant over>) consumed over half a litre of vodka and ingested roughly a gram of caffeine.
  • Options
    A gram of caffine! That'll do nasty things to you if your not used to it.

A large cafe late at Starbucks is normally about the 400-500mg mark.
  • Options
    chase them with Customer pacification sticks that have rags of Cloroform strapped to them 'Just stop struggling it will all be over momentarily....' :D

You couldnt use cloroform, the sedative effects of that would be increased by the alcohol and they'd be dropping dead like flies.

Where as the mace option would leave them alive, yet in misery pondering whether it really is a good idea to break a bus shelter at 3am while singing.
  • Options
    You couldnt use cloroform, the sedative effects of that would be increased by the alcohol and they'd be dropping dead like flies.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
  • Options
    Some of us still slightly have liberal tendancies.
  • Options
    and the liberation of the opressed proletariat from a corrupt capitalist system under which consumers impose their drunkeness upon the workers and force them to work in intolerable conditions for minimum wage.

This is the liberation of bar-toiling proletarians through the miricle of cloroform.
  • Options
    Commie bastard, the market is always right, the market wants drunkeness it should be supplied.

However the market dictates that drunken lout-ish actions are not wanted, so they are punished.

Simple.
  • Options
    theres a fucking huge market for anti-drunk gas/liquid i assure you :D
  • Options
    Quite probably is now you come to mention it.

I still think the mace idea is slightly more palatable though than just culling thousands of drinkers.
  • Options
    i've been thinking about this too actually.

legaly, i'm not ment to be drinking anyway, but i thought of the affect that the 1 pint or so i have has on me when i go out on the weekend, and i don't really like it. i much prefer to get stoned, it's so much of a nicer feeling and i don't feel even the slightist bit down afterwards.

why waste money on drinking when i don't really like it?
  • Options
    i much prefer to get stoned, it's so much of a nicer feeling and i don't feel even the slightist bit down afterwards.

be careful how you look at that idea. that used to be my philosophy, so i often looked at my cannabis use and justified it in terms of other's alcohol consumption, which it not entirely helpful as they are two different substances with markedly differing effects and health implications.
  • Options
    Yep, comparisons between different drugs are always troublesome because each one comes with a different set of dangers.
  • Options
    WFT? Luby and now...ROLLY! what is it new av day or something?

next thing we know skive'l have a new one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Your inbox is still full Martin, I am presuming you havent got any sent messages?
  • Options
    thats probably it :banghead: :banghead:

its the Siemens mobile syndrome