Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

PC Wont Start

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a friend who's PC worked fine, then he added a DVD Writer so has a DVD reader and a writer but with the two pluggedin the PC won't start, I thinkt he fans turn etc but it don't POST.

When you disconnect the reader it boots fine. Could it be drawing to much power?

It's only an Athlon 1800MHz with 1 HD and the two drives and floppy!!

It is however in a small microATX case with a physically little power supply!!

Comments

• Options
    hook it up to a big psu to test?
  • Options
    Yep sounds like the power supply cant handle it. You can always upgrade the power supply although this is quite an annoying thing to do.

Try a 300w one, thats what iv got. At first it was too much power until i installed my cd-rom and dvd-rom now its all cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RudeBwoy
    Try a 300w one, thats what iv got. At first it was too much power until i installed my cd-rom and dvd-rom now its all cool.

???

that makes no sense whatsoever, the bigger the psu the better... certain chipsets draw a lot of power and put some pressure on a crappy psu, that and usb ports put even more demand on the poor thing, i wouldn't even look at anything less than 400. thing about pcs is making them 'future proof' even if the 'future' is only 6 months.
  • Options
    might be hard to get a bigger PSU, os it's a very small one inthere and nice and quiet I suspect a bigger PSu will be way louder.

Oh well I think my friend can live without the DVD reader since there is a writer.

It is an all in one motherboard so expected it to draw less power then one with seperate sound, graphics, etc