Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Quitting college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
For the second year in a row, I'm seeing dropping out of college as the best option. I'm far behind on the work and like last year,I enjoyed it at first, but now I just hate it. I realise that qualifications are important but I'm thinking maybe I'm going to have to drop out. I've never really liked the education system and have been thinking of careers in which I can work my way up. One option I thought of was being a nurse, it's something I think I'd really enjoy. Anyone have any information on what I have to do to become a nurse, or any ideas on career paths you can work your way up?

I feel pretty stuck right now and any advice would be much appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    have you considered something like an apprenticeship, where you learn as you work?

i'm pretty sure you need a nursing qualification to get into it, but maybe something like a healthcare assistant, or a trainee in an area like sonography or audiology?

if you have a careers person at your college, i'd go have a chat. otherwise seek out your nearest connexions or whatever they're called now. a good careers advisor is worth their weight in gold.
  • Options
    a good careers advisor is worth their weight in gold.

:yes:

totally 100% agree with Kaffrin, talk to them before anyone else including your tutor.

They often have vast experience in helping you explore your options in areas outside typical academia, cant hurt to have a look.

Whatever you do, make sure you are doing something, the worst thing you can do is wait around doing nothing.:)
  • Options
    I don't know if there are any decent careers advisors in Wrexham. The last one i saw was hopeless and pathetic, and not very friendly either, but I can always look.
  • Options
    here are a few things i have dug up which may be useful

The Independant

Connexions

(would recommend this one)

You can also call connexions on this number between 8am and 2am for independant careers advice

Tel: 080 800 13 2 19
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Chaos, PM Blonde_Batman on advice about nursing as she's in training at the moment.

Okey doke. Thank you :)
  • Options
    Are you sure you WANT to be a nurse, as although it's a very rewarding job, it can also be very emotionally and physically demanding. I did a BTEC National Diploma in Care, and I did a placement at a Nursing Home. Remember before you enrol on any Uni Course, it will last for 3 years.

And to do a DipHe in Nursing you need at least 5 GCSEs A-C :)