Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Should the Queen say sorry to the Germans for Dresden?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm fed up of all this "ooh, you must apologies for random things that happened a long time ago" bollocks.

I don't know how much it would mean to those on the receiving end, I know the Aborigines in Australia have campaigned for an apology for fifty years so I can't imagine how important it is. But it is very tiring.

It's what the world has become- everyone is in moral incontinence pants, if you say sorry its all fine, lets all act like fucking children.
  • Options
    not saying sorry is better than saying sorry without meaning it IMO

like in dunkirk when a regional german armoured division was about to block the biritsh getting back, and the british had virtually notihng but themselves left, hitler pulled them out at last minute, allowing us to escape when people were questioning churchills tactics, and he then claimed the moral high ground instead of the war cabinet getting him out

anyway dr carter... the plan for operation sealion (taking britain)

1. destroy our airforce completly and military targets

2. go after major cities to dishearten

3. invade by land

they were about to do part 1, as their airforce was scarily better than ours, as ours were never trained for combat whilst hitlers had practice in spanish civil war

just when our airfields were down to a minumum and not gone, some suck up advisor told hitler itll be a good idea to stop destroying our true war infrastructure and aim for civilian targets thus giving us a chance to rebuild and eventually win the battle of britain

and i bid thee good night
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    So clearly the power that had such advanced skills as to do precision bombings on dams suddenly lost such skills overnight and decided to carpet bomb the entire city instead, just to be sure they got their factories eh?

Interesting comment.

You know the result of the "Dambusters" raid, don't you?

And the cost in terms of British lives lost in the raid. I'd hardly argue that it was much in the was of a military victory....
  • Options
    Yes, I'm aware of the cost of lives involved- not nice. I was referring more to the technical capability of bombing a target without having to destroy several square miles around it.

The point being that even if Dresden had a few targets of military importance, by no means whatsoever it was necessary to bomb the entire city. I has never been the case anywhere else. You don't send more than 1,000 heavy bombers to drop more than 2,000 tonnes of explosives to destroy a couple of factories and a railway depot. The only objective of such massive raid was to cause the maximum amount of damage and deaths possible.

Frankly, I can't believe that anyone would argue any different, given the size of the operation and the numbers involved. :confused:
  • Options
    Why of all ppl was Queenie invited, If i werer an old Dresden-ite i'd want to tar+feather her for what was a war-crime by the Allied victors -hence unpunished