Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Engagement Rings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you buy a engagement ring and go to propose and the person says "NO"

Do most places take the ring back??

Comments

• Options
    I should hope so, well unless you got it out of a 20p machine then... no.
  • Options
    If not, keep it for another one :thumb:
  • Options
    Erm i'm not sure i guess if you have the reciept and it was still in brand new condition they would, you could ask what their policy was when buying it. Or to be on the safe side ask her, then if she says yes take her ring shopping that way she can pick a pretty one she really likes if she says yes, but if the answer is an unfortunate no then, well i guess it saved spending all that money just yet.
  • Options
    I think most places do - I'm not sure if they have a time limit on how long before you can take it back though - best to check before you buy I guess and remember your supposed to spend at least a months wages on buying it

xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    and remember your supposed to spend at least a months wages on buying it

I don't like that idea at all, you should spend as much as you want/can afford. It's not supposed to be about the money :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    I don't like that idea at all, you should spend as much as you want/can afford. It's not supposed to be about the money :(
    :yes: thought that counts...
  • Options

totally agree. if i loved someone enough to marry them, they could give me a gummy ring and i'd say yes.

the kind of rings that i like are small and simple and don't cost the earth. it's not a competition.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

the kind of rings that i like are small and simple and don't cost the earth. it's not a competition.

Exactly.

If we were going on that month salary thing, that wpuld mean that my boyfriend would spend about £850 on a ring, and i think that is ludicrous i mean you can get ones that look just the same just less carrots in the diamond or whatever (who really cares too much about that anyway) for about £250. And just thinking about all the things you could buy with like 850 quid, a new car, 2 months rent, 25 meals out, a holiday, whole new wardrobe and then some etc etc.
    But then i do understand that people do have more money than i do and can afford such things like expensive rings, and if you can and want to thats great, i just don't think that people should feel that they 'have to'
  • Options
    I bet the sales people have a little giggle when they get returned engagement rings.
  • Options
    i've had return engagement rings at argos, an have had to ask why they were returnin, whats worse is cos most of them are expensive i have to ask a manager to check it to make sure its the right one an everything while the poor bugger stands there:(
  • Options
    I know a famous scam involving that in America (old)

guy goes into a jewlers at friday midday buys an expensive ring he says its to propose to his girlfriend, later that day he goes to a pawnbroker tries to sell the ring, he's hoping the pawnbroker informs the police or the jewlery store (dont know how but he worked it so they did) anyway the store owner thinks this is a duff check so calles the police and tells them they have him out in the cells for the weekend, as its after friday so they cant check with the bank, but the check is a good as gold, so monday comes around the Jewlery store owner finds the check is ok, lets the guy out of prison he then threatens the owner with being sued for deformation, the store owner pays up, the guy who made the attempt says the girl refused and he was too embarised to take the ring back, he has a girl to back up his story, apparently this guy did a number of towns
  • Options

Oh dear I think once again the internet has spoiled my sarcasum - ooopps

xx
  • Options
    It's a really tricky one, what to get? I don't envy any bloke having to decide on a ring and hope he's got one she'll like, unless he knows her VERY well, or she's dropped hints.

I love mine, it's quite a lot like this only white gold.
  • Options
    yeah, your best bet is to let the girl choose the ring herself.

my ring cost £140, and tis a diamond and sapphire half eternity ring and i chose it myself.

and i do love my ring, even if me and James have split up