Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sizes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so how do clothes sizes and shoe sizes compare in the UK to the US??

like if i'm a 2 over here.. what size am i over there??

and if my shoes are a 7.5.. what am i over there??

Comments

• Options
    US clothes sizes are mental, i've found. i'm a UK 8 and the conversion charts say i should be a 4. but i have a pair of jeans in a US 00 that hang off me. but then i also have US size 5 jeans that fit perfectly. most strange. generally i wear 0, sometimes 2, so i reckon you would be about a small size 10 over here, depending on the shop.

shoes are easier. i'm a UK size 3, and I wear US women's size 5.5. so 2.5 times smaller.
  • Options
    US size 2 SHOULD be about a UK 6 or 8.
    I say should, because obviously it depends on the shop.No two shops use the same sizing it seems.
    Im a UK 8 or a 10 depending on the shop, but have american clothes in either 4 or 6.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    US clothes sizes are mental, i've found. i'm a UK 8 and the conversion charts say i should be a 4. but i have a pair of jeans in a US 00 that hang off me. but then i also have US size 5 jeans that fit perfectly. most strange. generally i wear 0, sometimes 2, so i reckon you would be about a small size 10 over here, depending on the shop.

shoes are easier. i'm a UK size 3, and I wear US women's size 5.5. so 2.5 times smaller.

Your a size 3 in shoes? What teeny feet you have Kaff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Your a size 3 in shoes? What teeny feet you have Kaff.

i'm just generally midgety.
  • Options
    so our sizes over here either go in odd numbers, or even, depending on the store..
    so if i'm anywhere from a 0 to a 3... that makes me anywhere from a 6-12 over there???
  • Options
    theres no way youd be a 12.
    youll be about a 6, possibly a small 8.
  • Options
    sizes are all generally bollocks though these days.

by standard size charts i would be a UK size 8. which is pretty true. but by that i should be a US 6. which is bollocks. the US are pioneers of the vanity sizing.

so, angel, look up your size on there and find out. the UK sizes/measurements are pretty accurate. unless it's miss selfridge or certain zara items, in which case minus 4 from your UK size.
  • Options
    it didn't have my size in it?

crazzyyy

b/c our sizes start at 0? and the chart started at 6?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Angel121077
    it didn't have my size in it?

crazzyyy

b/c our sizes start at 0? and the chart started at 6?

i meant go with the measurements in the women's size chart - the bust-waist-hips one. that'll tell you your UK size.
  • Options
    Don't agree with that chart at all. My bust size is 2" smaller and waist size 4" greater than it should be for the size I take. Hmmm.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Don't agree with that chart at all. My bust size is 2" smaller and waist size 4" greater than it should be for the size I take. Hmmm.

aye, it's not perfect. but that's more because shops have mangled it recently. that's what sizes SHOULD be, and if you make clothes from patterns, that's what size they will be. if you buy them in shops, they could be pretty much anything.

also those measurements are at pretty specific points - like most people think their waist is where they wear their trousers, but that waist measurement is the natural waist, which is the narrowest part of you, and on me it's way up past my belly button. the measurement around the tops of my trousers is a good 6" bigger. and then the hip measurement is something like 8" below the waist measurement on a 5'6" woman or something silly.
  • Options
    that chart it useless.

when i was ill i went to a size 14 which is 42
    i'm now a 40/42 and i'm still big.

a 38 is a size 10, and a size 8 is a size 36.

12-40
    14-42
    16-44
    18-46

i'm sure thats right because theres no way i'm a size 10/38 and a size 42 hangs off me.