Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bit torrent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recently downloaded the BitTorrent or whatever it's called program, and I'm using suprnova to download files, however the files are downloading at 1/2 kb/s when I'm on broadband. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Is it always like this using Bit torrent? Can someone shed some light on the situation pleeeeaaaase? :)

Comments

• Options
    BitTorrent is a p2p program, while your downloading your uploading too and the chances are other people are downloading the same file. I guess it just depends how fast the other persons connection is.
  • Options
    depends on the amount of people seeding the file and whether you're actively uploading. you need to upload faster than 2k/s to trigger more download. you might wanna patch your tcp/ip stack to support more than 10 connections per port

also try other download sites, there are some far better than suprnova...

Pirates Bay
    Torrent bits
    BTEfnet
    Empr0nium
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    depends on the amount of people seeding the file and whether you're actively uploading. you need to upload faster than 2k/s to trigger more download. you might wanna patch your tcp/ip stack to support more than 10 connections per port

also try other download sites, there are some far better than suprnova...

Pirates Bay
    Torrent bits
    BTEfnet
    Empr0nium

thats assuming he has sp2 installed, even xp for that matter

and as i believed it was no more than 10 concurrent port requests, not connections per port that were blocked
  • Options
    I get no less than 20k on Azures and it goes up to about 90/100k. Mind you I don't download off dodgy sites :).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I get no less than 20k on Azures and it goes up to about 90/100k. Mind you I don't download off dodgy sites :).

Yep, you should be using Azereus anyway (can anyone actually spell that without looking at their desktop shortcut?). IT'S LIEK, BETTAR!
  • Options
    (can anyone actually spell that without looking at their desktop shortcut?)
    I actually thought it was spelt azures untill I just checked and it's Azureus.

If you decided to use Azures then go to config and set your max download speed as high as you want. Mines on 512k/s :).

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
  • Options
    I actually thought it was spelt azures untill I just checked and it's Azureus.

It was murder trying to find it on Google before I actually knew how it was spelt :/

Edit: my typing's gone to shit recently :(
  • Options
    LOL, same here. I swore it was right untill I founf a link to on my CD.
  • Options
    Azureus > all
  • Options
    The thing I don't like about Azures is that it uploads while you download. I'm just paraniod. Untill I find away of stoping that then I will only use t for legit stuff.

[/gay boy]
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Yep, you should be using Azereus anyway (can anyone actually spell that without looking at their desktop shortcut?). IT'S LIEK, BETTAR!

I tried using that. And when I did I searched for a couple of films. I then proceeded to try and download those films. What I got was a stupid program that decided it would download on and off for hours at speed of up to 2kb/s. :-\
  • Options
    What site did you get it from? Again it depends how many people are downloading it I think???
  • Options
    The thing I don't like about Azures is that it uploads while you download. I'm just paraniod. Untill I find away of stoping that then I will only use t for legit stuff.

[/gay boy]

It is doable but not really recommended, sharing is caring and all that,
  • Options
    Unsharing is avioding getting a large fine.
  • Options
    That much is likely true,

If you really don't want to share, then....

view> configuration >click the tab that pops up > transfer > you can limit it there in the appropriate box.
  • Options

[/gay boy]

I'm sorry but thats the whole point in bittorrent....

If everyone has the attitude "oh i dont want people downloading from me" then bittorrent wouldnt exist because it RELIES on people downloading AND uploading to work.

If you want to download non legit stuff and dont want to upload then use kazaa, this is not what bittorrent is for.
  • Options
    The Fastrack network is the most dodgy P2P network there is.

Say if you got a 20 grand fine for sharing music or what ever, would sharing files realy be worth the hastle of a big fine and cort fees? A couple of thousand people not sharing will not kill a network, there are millions of people who share music every day, a few thousand people not sharing won't hurt. It's being security conscious. Then again, if you use something like Protowall it will stop badcorps from viewing what your sharing but there are doezens of IP ranges that badcoprs are on that are still not yet covered by IP blockers.