Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

really confused.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm downloading something which needs me to put my true download and upload bandwidth, and i don't know what it is. i know that i've got whats ment to be ADSL but is actually DSL, but i don't really know the bandwidths, i think the download is 256, but i don't know for sure. is there anyway of finding out?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    it should say the speed if you double click the icon in network connections, if not you can test your bandwidth here

im assuming your connection is 256k down 256k up or 256 down 128 up. either way it shouldent make too much of a difference to the program you intend to run.
  • Options
    Basically if you multiply your download speed (in kb/s) by 8, then that will be your kbits per second. When I downloaded Jake's broadband speed tester, I was getting 90.4 kb/s which equates to 723.2 kbps. That's a near-maximum for my connection.
  • Options
    I'm just using that Broadband speed tester thing and it says select ISP (BY Yahoo! 1mb) but I'm not sure where to find out what they tell you about the upload/download speed of my package.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    Basically if you multiply your download speed (in kb/s) by 8, then that will be your kbits per second. When I downloaded Jake's broadband speed tester, I was getting 90.4 kb/s which equates to 723.2 kbps. That's a near-maximum for my connection.

That's a very random method though, as download speed can vary greatly.

Best just to ask your provider.
  • Options
    In response to Twisted Trinity's question about ADSL and DSL: The "A" stands for assymetic which means that the upload speed is different from the download speed. Upload is normally less then download.

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is the same rate both up and down.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    In response to Twisted Trinity's question about ADSL and DSL: The "A" stands for assymetic which means that the upload speed is different from the download speed. Upload is normally less then download.

DSL (Digital Subscriber Line) is the same rate both up and down.

To be technically correct SDSL is the same rate up and down, the S being symmetric, or however it's spelt. DSL is just the general technology.