Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rant: chip an pin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
card transactions take ages now..

Comments

• Options
    Do they?
  • Options
    Perhaps you've just hit a busy period because I've not found card transactions to take any longer than usual.
  • Options
    Surely it is easier than having to wait for the receipts to print off then sign them etc etc etc etc
  • Options
    I prefer the good old fashioned signature I must admit, but if it cuts down on fraud, I'm sold.
  • Options
    Works fine for me.
  • Options
    It's much easier than signing a slip. Much quicker, too, now that the shop staff know what they are doing.
  • Options
    I'd rather sign my name. My signature is quite unusual whereas my pin number can be remembered by the nosy fecker behind me either at the machine in the shop or the cash point. I could even use someone elses card as long as I know their pin, and I know my parent's pin numbers.
  • Options
    Still dodgy tbh. All you gotta do is look over the other person shoulder and see what they type then mug 'em out side.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    It's the same with the signature. You just remember the signature and nick the card off them.

Yeah, someone could nick my card and then try to forge the signature, but they'd be hard pushed because it is very unusual, trust me. It would take less effort for them to look over my shoulder at the cash point or pin console.

I can forge my dad's signature easily, as well as several of my friends' who just print their name. People need to make their signatures harder to copy.

Also, the staff in the store don't even seem to look at the card anymore. Before they used to check the name matched up with who they were serving (Mrs Thelma Biggs isn't likely to be a spotty teenage boy!) whereas now they don't even seem to look but seem more bothered about putting the chip in the right way. I've never had my card checked for the name.
  • Options
    How many 16 year old shop assistants do you know who look even closely at your signature?
    So many times I've been places where they don't even bother and it pisses me off immensely.
    Which is why I like chip and pin. It's much faster than before, more secure (ie if you've got sense you don't let the person behind you see your pin) and cuts down on the amount of crappy reciept paper in my wallet.
  • Options
    If you're careless and let you PIN be known then you're an idiot, in all fairness.

I think it is better. The signature is very easy to forge (you think yours is "difficult", I seriously doubt it would be to a pro), and that is if it is ever checked anyway.

They've been using chip and PIN on the Continent for donkey's years.
  • Options
    In the states they still use a mixture. I made a mistake with the credit/debit option with my sister in law's card, and had to sign. I just signed my own name which looks NOTHING like her signature, but they hadn't looked at the card, or asked for it or anything.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Chip and Pin is a lot safer and quicker in my experience. A lot of the safety with it is common sense.
  • Options
    erm since the cards last some time, surely having your picture on them would be better :confused:

that and signiture together
  • Options
    What's the point when it's quicker and cheaper to just put the pin number on it?

Only an idiot lets someone see their pin, if you think someone standing behind you is looking tell them politely to fuck off.
    You'd do it at a cash machine, get used to doing it at a shop.
  • Options
    I think the chip and pin thing is much better, although I dont have a chip an pin card myself, where I work I have to deal with cards alot. Before all this came into play, if a signiture looked wrong or even totally different I was told to ignore it and carry on anyway because my boss said that they are likly to come back and break all our windows.
  • Options
    Chip and pin is a good idea, but personally I find it a pain.

I don't know the PIN number for my switch card, and prefer not to, as it stops me spending money on it as often. But now I keep getting asked for the PIN when I go to the supermarket, and I have to say "I don't know the PIN". Guess I'll have to find out what it is.