Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

combatting binge drinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
should we follow our european neighbours in this have legal drinking age as 16?

or should we try change perveying belief that drink is there to get blind drunk and encourage responsible?

should we clamp down with a iron rod on all people who a re drunk?

should we allow bars to open longer so they dont have everyone rushing to get drunk by time they have to go off to clubs as the pub has to close at 11

should we increase drink prices like we do with tabacco?

other sensible suggestions welcome

Comments

• Options
    24hr licences may help the concentration of drunk trouble makers.

Personally I think its a totally difference outlook france and italy look at drinking in a way that's totally difference to here. Drinking as a child is still slightly taboo... not so over there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Drinking as a child is still slightly taboo... not so over there.

ive noticed my mates families who didnt let them have odd glasses of wine or cider at xmas and family do's or on holiday, when they got 14/15 they suddenly 'discover' drinking and it begins
  • Options
    Indeedy. :yes:
  • Options
  • Options
    See the odd thing is that I don't remember what my parents attiture was toward wine for their children, but I've never had it. I don't drink, I think my friends spiraling out of control was enough of a shock for me not to want to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Lowering the age to will do absolutely nothing. Teens will drink regardless of what the law says.

Bear in mind Luke, and think about the following carefully, that the tighter you weave the net, the more holes there are.
  • Options
    I don't get you.

That the more legalistic we are, the more obvious it is what there is to do wrong, and the more people are inclinded to rebel. If we tightened up drinking laws, the only thing that would be near definate to happen is that more laws will be broken.
  • Options
    say the obvious why don't you!

I did.
  • Options
    how pathetic! gets worse.

Just because you didn't understand doesn't mean it wasn't clear. I had no problems the first time I read the analogy.
  • Options
    We have a binge drinking problem in this country and it's getting worse. So, what does our Government propose to do? Let drinking establishments open 24 hours a day. Great. This will do nothing to allieviate binge drinking, and everything to help fill the coffers of companies that produce alcoholic drinks. Yet another case of the government pandering to conglomerates.
  • Options
    Your lack of understanding totally fails to astound me.
  • Options
    Another original response from lukesh...
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    We have a binge drinking problem in this country and it's getting worse. So, what does our Government propose to do? Let drinking establishments open 24 hours a day. Great. This will do nothing to allieviate binge drinking, and everything to help fill the coffers of companies that produce alcoholic drinks. Yet another case of the government pandering to conglomerates.

if you have any knowledge of what clubbing areas are like at 11pm with people all being kicked out at once, youll know that if you let clubs close whenever, theyll normally stagger themselves out thus theyll be a steady exodus instead of a mass one where theres more confrontation and more fights
  • Options
    Alcohol, drugs, sex. Whether this liberalisation and freedom is right or wrong is another matter. But the postmodernist 'eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die' attitude, lack of accountability, declining social responsibility etc have undoubtedly created a very selfish generation.

Alcoholism should not become an aspiration for today's youth. Whether it should be more acceptable to have a glass of wine with a meal at home, or whether we should open or close bars and pubs I don't know.
    Your lack of understanding totally fails to astound me.
    Back your bags then. All you do is moan, moan and moan. If your not happy, clear off.
    Another original response from lukesh...
    Stop bickering. It's like a bloody nursery school in here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Alcohol, drugs, sex. Whether this liberalisation and freedom is right or wrong is another matter. But the postmodernist 'eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die' attitude, lack of accountability, declining social responsibility etc have undoubtedly created a very selfish generation.

is it really that bad, i think we're being led to bleieve that society is going down the tube bla bla bla, but lets face it, we're getting richer, the economy is strong, the uk is still a relatively safe place to be in, contrary to what the media says, and everything WILL be alright, i don't like negative outlooks, the good forces in this world will always out weigh the bad, even though the bad has been very vocal lately.
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    is it really that bad, i think we're being led to bleieve that society is going down the tube bla bla bla, but lets face it, we're getting richer, the economy is strong, the uk is still a relatively safe place to be in, contrary to what the media says, and everything WILL be alright, i don't like negative outlooks, the good forces in this world will always out weigh the bad, even though the bad has been very vocal lately.
    You're right of course. But it is because we are getting richer that we have spare cash to spend on booze, drugs, and girlfriends.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    But it is because we are getting richer that we have spare cash to spend on booze, drugs, and girlfriends.

good point, i think humans need to be motivated in other ways, we work, take thing for granted then get smashed or whatever there is for a buzz, we need to focus on things that matter in life, is money and luxury everything in life, nope, never has never will be. IMO
  • Options
    Quite right.
  • Options
    nothing wrong with a bit of escapism and enjoying urself, cant be expected to be thinking work all the time which some people would lead us to believe, we still have our primal instincts ;)
  • Options
    If you have limited opening hours is a pub then everyone drinks quicker than they want to, because time is running out. Then everyone is drunk, goes outside, and joins a taxi queue at the same time. People push in the taxi queues, and are taught not to in a very primitive fashion.

The problem is a social attitude. Drink is seen as "escapism" from the drudgery of a shit job; it is not seen as an excellent addition to a social situation, it is seen AS the social situation. I'm not really sure how that can change, because drinking is so ingrained in the culture, which I think is a shame. The Europeans manage to go out and have fun without drinking way too much, even the Germans do, and that is why I think a more relaxed atmosphere to drink is what is needed.

Teenagers and students go out and get hammered so much because it is a new thing, it is seen as adult, it is seen as rebellious. It's something the parentals would disapprove of; I think that's why the more traditional universities, like Durham, seem to have even more of a drinking culture.

I like going out and getting drunk every so often, but because I've been allowed to have a bit of my dad's beer since I was a toddler I don't see alcohol as something magical and adult only. I've always been allowed a bit of beer or wine, diluted loads with lemonade, and I think that is the best way to be.
  • Options
  • Options
    Interesting

well it is but where i go is full of drunk nutters, most weeknites and well the coppers normally pull up people spitting or try pulling the girl instead of actually gonig after people aboutt o start a fight

itd probably stretch them less theyd need less coppers at one time there
  • Options
    If licensees want to open 24 hours, they should be paying for nightbuses.

In Durham Walkabout only got a license because it paid for nightbuses for 18 months; the same principle should be extended to all licensees.
  • Options
    How many times do we have to say it before you grasp the concept that opinion polls do not count as proof of anything?
  • Options
    Guys there was a poll on teletext that asked people if they thought it was a good idea for pubs.clubs to be open for 24 hours.

As far as I can remember 90%+ were against the idea.

Was it taken at an AA meeting?

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Was it taken at an AA meeting?

Hehehe :p
  • Options
    no the general pu8blic voted.

guys u oughbt 2 realise that your opinions dont reflect public opinion.

So, 90% of teletext viewers who could be arsed to vote, said that it was a bad idea?

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    So how many people were involved in this poll...what was the margin of error involved...what criteria was met for those people to vote and probably, most importantly what validity can be taken from the teletext findings?

Don't seem very scientific to me...sounds a bit like one of them thar Sun polls if truth be known.
  • Options
    roughly 2,000 same as the mori...

Whats that as a percentage of 60 million?

• Options
    roughly 2,000 same as the mori...
    So has this poll been peer researched? What were the the respondents ages, sex, location, political viewpoints lukesh?

As I said...it don't sound too scientific to me.