Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pissed off

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
At the beginning of september some bint thought it would be a good idea not to look behind her while reversing and crash in to my car.
It took almost 2 weeks to get her to pick up the phone so we could talk about insurance but then she hung up half way through the convo and didnt pick up again. A week later I get a letter from her solisiter saying that because I didnt call the accident is my fault by default.
I rang my insurance company up straight away and they were very helpfull and said they would pay for me to have a solisiter.
I got all the forms and stuff and filled them in I just had the quotes left to get. I had to wait for my mum to get them cos I dont have a licence yet so cant go on my own.
Anyway I got the quotes back today and its gonna cost £500 to fix. Thats more than my car is worth!!!!
I mean if the insurance rights off my car what do I do?
Will they pay for a new car up to a certain amount?
I'm so lost with all this.:(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    They'll give the the amount your car is insured for.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Skive
    They'll give the the amount your car is insured for.

not always correct as i was told a while back.
    Your car could be insured for 1000 but if the assessor only thinks the car would be worth 750 then thats what you get......at least thats what im led to believe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    not always correct as i was told a while back.
    Your car could be insured for 1000 but if the assessor only thinks the car would be worth 750 then thats what you get......at least thats what im led to believe.
    your right ...you only get the top book price ...if you can show all service records ...full history.
    if you cannot provide this ...then you get bottom book price for your year and model.
    my camper is insured for 28 grand ...meaningless now it's six years old and i do all the servicing myself.
    i reckon max i'd get eight grand now if it was written off.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have bothered trying to discuss it with someone as ignorant and would've just filed the insurance claim anyway. Surely her insurance company has to pay? Bah, I dunno how any of it works. :confused:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You can appeal against the claim that it was your fault. If her insurance pays then you would get the repairs done. If it is classed as your fault the insurance would pay the repair cost and you'd see an increase in the premium or you can choose not to bother.
  • Options
    If your car isn't even worth £500, and they pay out, they will consider it a financial write off. In other words, they won't pay for having it fixed, just pay out a sum that they consider to be the car's value.

When this happened to me a few years ago the other guy's insurance company actually paid out just above the top price for the car's value (about £500, when the car was really worth about £400). They said it was up to me what I did with the car, but I worked out that even if I did all the work myself, it'd cost a bare minimum of £300 to get it fixed, so I scrapped it off. As I couldn't do without a car I'd sorted myself out with another car in the meantime anyway (cost me £350), so the extra money was some sort of compensation for all the paperwork and searching for a new car.

Just a thought, but if you've called her, and spoken to her, then won't you have the call listed on an itemised phone bill? And if she's claiming you haven't called her, and if she's told this to the insurance company (especially if she's written that on the claim form - and you have that letter from her solicitor), then you can provide a copy of that and make her out to be a liar. I don't think anybody would believe anything else she has to say if that's the case.
  • Options
    Thing is my car only cost £350 in the first place.
    Its a lil F redge and has only had one prevous owner and he bought it brand new.
    Its just passed it MOT so i know its not a totally waster even tho it feels like it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Just a thought, but if you've called her, and spoken to her, then won't you have the call listed on an itemised phone bill? And if she's claiming you haven't called her, and if she's told this to the insurance company (especially if she's written that on the claim form - and you have that letter from her solicitor), then you can provide a copy of that and make her out to be a liar. I don't think anybody would believe anything else she has to say if that's the case.

Well I used my mates phone but I'll call the solisiters and ask if they want it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Well I used my mates phone but I'll call the solisiters and ask if they want it.
    Get a copy of the phone bill first (should only take a couple of days), make sure you keep that letter from their solicitor that states she said she didn't have contact from you, then contact her solicitor.

When my car was written off the damage wasn't that great as I'd slowed down when I thought he might not look, then hit the brakes when he just pulled out. By the time I hit him I was barely moving.
    When the assessor came to view my car he asked me how fast I was going at the time (I'd already said in my written statement that I thought the impact was barely 10 MPH), and he said "if that" and went on to add that the form the other guy had filled in had said that he was making out that I'd come hurtling out of nowhere and that he didn't have a chance to see me, and that I'd slammed into the side of his car at high speed on a foggy road. The assessor just knew from experience that the damage wasn't more than a minor shunt. I'd kept my statement neat and simple. Stating the facts. He "sexed" up his to try to make out it was all my fault. He didn't stand a chance.
    Oh, and the fact that the day the accident happened I was going out for the day to take some photos, and had my camera in the car, so took plenty of pictures of the scene, showing the cars, junction, road and weather conditions (including visibility - it was a light mist). :)

With your spelling and grammar, I'd get someone to help with yoru statement (if you haven't made it already), and resist the urge to try to go overboard with it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble

With your spelling and grammar, I'd get someone to help with yoru statement (if you haven't made it already), and resist the urge to try to go overboard with it.

:lol: I've already made the statment over the phone. In one of the forms they sent me they asked me to draw a pic of what happened, its clear enough but their gonna have a laugh at my pathetic attempt of drawing cars:lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    :lol: I've already made the statment over the phone. In one of the forms they sent me they asked me to draw a pic of what happened, its clear enough but their gonna have a laugh at my pathetic attempt of drawing cars:lol:

My dad had to do that. It was about 11pm one night and we drove to the carpark of our local shopping centre (of course it was dead!) and measured the road widths etc etc (my dad is a stickler for details!). Security guards came and asked us what we were doing. When we relayed what had happened to them they offered to dig out the security tapes from the carpark and copy them for us for free, since they were bored rigid watching over an empty shopping centre.