Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Last years expenses of MP's

£78 million was claimed by MP's last year in expenses, just on bbc news
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also carried by the Independent if anyone can find the link there.
  • Options
    MPs in thieving cuntness shock!

Of course, they won't sort themselves out when there's some bloke down the road who's scamming the DSS out of £50 a week.
  • Options
    The House of Commons has today revealed that MPs claimed £78 million in expenses last year.

The average amount claimed by MPs was £118,361. The average MP spent: £16,509 on staying away from home; £17,436 on offices and/or surgeries; £66,623 on staff costs; £10,640 on travel; £1,094 on stationery; and £3,343 on postage in addition to a basic salary of £57,485.

There is, however, a wide variation in these figures. Labour MP Clair Curtis-Thomas, for Crosby near Liverpool, tops the list of MPs claiming the most in expenses at £168,889. In fact all of the highest-spending MPs in a crude expenditure level come from northern or Scottish constituencies, explaining the additional costs of travel and a second home.

Tony Blair makes it into the list of MPs claiming the least in expenses with a claim of £80,836; the lowest though is Mr Michael Trend who claimed £56,657.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem that expensive to me when it's broken down, espacially if you conside about half of it is staff wages!!
  • Options
    If the basic salary is £57,485, then how can Mr Michael Trend only claim £56,657? Did he refuse some of his pay???

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    If the basic salary is £57,485, then how can Mr Michael Trend only claim £56,657? Did he refuse some of his pay???

Bopz

Expenses is on top of the salary
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Doesn't seem that expensive to me when it's broken down, espacially if you conside about half of it is staff wages!!

No, a complete bargain :yeees:

What a surprise that it was a Labour MP top of the list for expenses...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, a complete bargain :yeees:

These men and women are incharge of running one of the most powerful nations on earth worth Trillions ... these expenses work out to be about £1.30p per head for every person in the country, they spent about 20 times more then that on the dome.

£78 Million is peanuts in the grand scale of things!!

That's about the cost of a single 767 Jet Plane.
  • Options
    It's always a fine line.

But to say that they run the country is over-egging the pudding a little- the Cabinet runs the country, and the Shadow Cabinet complains about how they do so. The backbenchers do little, unless they are on their bestest behaviour and they get elected to a Select Committee.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind if they spent £150 Million on expenses and extra staff if it helped get the country in better order .. it's when they spend £1,000+ Million on the world's biggest tent in the middle of Greenwich I get offended!!

There was a report yesterday that NASA Spent $600 Million trying to prove a theory of Einstein's, whilst two italian scientists proved the theory for free using existing equipment and data.

There's nothing wrong with spending Millions or Billions on anything if it's worthwhile, it's when they spend it on dumb things we should worry!!
  • Options
    Something is always dumb to someone.

That's the trouble;)
  • Options

And a Conservative MP bottom of the list with the lowest expenses.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    And a Conservative MP bottom of the list with the lowest expenses.
    probably doesn't need the money being a director of this that and the other and
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    probably doesn't need the money being a director of this that and the other and

That's Labour isn't it?
  • Options
    That's Labour isn't it?
    probably ...i've lost faith in all of them.
  • Options
    Nice job if you can get it!

It's not the total amount that bothers me (like it's been said, in real terms it's a drop in the ocean)- it's the actual act of freeloading that pisses me off.

There are a couple of MPs who live about 10-15 miles from Central London and who yet have somehow channelled expenses to pay the mortgage for a London apartment. Because obviously no one should be made to commute for such horrendous distances.

And then the system is so open for abuse. It's all very well to say the average MP spends 16K on 'away from home expenses' or 10K on travel. How exactly was that spent? How posh where the hotels these people chose to stay in? How many first class air tickets abroad when a business class or a premium economy would have more than be enough- unlike the immense majority of their constituents who can only afford cattle class?

Sadly not many people refuse the chance to jump on the gravy train.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Nice job if you can get it!

It's not the total amount that bothers me (like it's been said, in real terms it's a drop in the ocean)- it's the actual act of freeloading that pisses me off.

There are a couple of MPs who live about 10-15 miles from Central London and who yet have somehow channelled expenses to pay the mortgage for a London apartment. Because obviously no one should be made to commute for such horrendous distances.

And then the system is so open for abuse. It's all very well to say the average MP spends 16K on 'away from home expenses' or 10K on travel. How exactly was that spent? How posh where the hotels these people chose to stay in? How many first class air tickets abroad when a business class or a premium economy would have more than be enough- unlike the immense majority of their constituents who can only afford cattle class?

Sadly not many people refuse the chance to jump on the gravy train.
    so you can fiddle travel expenses and use my money to pay your mortgage and don't even loose your job ...few people get angry ...fewer are even interested!
    but ...pretend you have a wooden leg to get fifty quid a week and your off to jail ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    so you can fiddle travel expenses and use my money to pay your mortgage and don't even loose your job ...few people get angry ...fewer are even interested!
    but ...pretend you have a wooden leg to get fifty quid a week and your off to jail ...
    Precisely!

As it has been said here in the last few days on other threads, it's the poor that's made to pay for it all while the rich and powerful defrauds the nation of far greater amounts and no one lifts a finger about it.