Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

alcohol/21/supermarkets

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Went into Tesco's the other day with a mate. She bought a bottle of wine, and was id-ed for it. For some reason she said she was 22 but had no id on her. The girl behind the till went on to say that that was ok, but due to a new thing brought in a few days before, you now had to be over 21 to buy alcohol in a supermarket. I was stood behind listening to the convo and i was thinking "how have i not heard anything about this?!"

Was this well publicised and i missed it?Or is it something that has been sneaked in?

Comments

• Options
    That is a dozy checkout operator misunderstanding the new rules.

The new rules are that unless you look 21 you will be ID'd, if you are under 21 either you have ID or it's no sale. But the legal age is still 18.

The checkout girl is obviously just a simpleton.
  • Options
    As far as I know its not a policy of having to be over 21, its a policy of if you look under 21 they will refuse to serve you without ID.

I was refused once while paying with a credit card! That was an odd conversation, "So you'll accept my card but not me being 18?"
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I was refused once while paying with a credit card! That was an odd conversation, "So you'll accept my card but not me being 18?"

Ah.

there must be the odd till monkey that has a functioning brain cell?
  • Options
    Yup, what the fine men have said buddy.

If you don't look over 21 then you need ID.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    That is a dozy checkout operator misunderstanding the new rules.

The new rules are that unless you look 21 you will be ID'd, if you are under 21 either you have ID or it's no sale. But the legal age is still 18.

The checkout girl is obviously just a simpleton.

That makes much more sense!
    Thanks for sorting that out for me Kermit!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    That makes much more sense!
    Thanks for sorting that out for me Kermit!

No prob.

I got ID'd the other day in Tesco, and when I have my Supermarket Face on I look about 25. And I was paying with a Mastercard.

:yeees:
  • Options
    I work at tesco and go on the tills occasionaly (grr :mad: We have these prompts that prop up on the screen when alcohol is scanned that say

'Think 21!!' If the person you are serving looks under 21 then ask for ID before the transaction can continue, If you are under the age of 18 ask another member of staff for verification before selling this product' or something.

I felt like such a fool the other day this girl came in and to be honest she looked about 18/19 but i thought i would ask her because of the 21 thing, and she showed me her drivers lisence she was nearly 24 :blush:

I have noticed the think 21 rule is being adopted by most bars and clubs around now, which i guess is not a bad idea because when you are 18+ you usually have some idea to prove it, so its not so much of a big deal.
  • Options
    Yep the 21 thing has been adopted by Lloyd's anyway. And cos i was the only one out of the three of us who had id i had to buy the drinks at the bar, else the bouncers said they'd get us thrown out... :yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by beans
    'Think 21!!' If the person you are serving looks under 21 then ask for ID before the transaction can continue, If you are under the age of 18 ask another member of staff for verification before selling this product' or something.

And oddly enough I've yet to see a 16-year-old till monkey go and get her supervisor...
  • Options
    I dont have really any ID myself, well apart from my passport, but I dont carry that around.

I've got one of the paper driving licences.

But then I havent been ID'd in years, its the grey hair and winkles, I couldnt pass for 48 let alone 18.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    Yep the 21 thing has been adopted by Lloyd's anyway. And cos i was the only one out of the three of us who had id i had to buy the drinks at the bar, else the bouncers said they'd get us thrown out... :yeees:

Well you have nice bouncers where you live then, in Leicester center they won't even let you into bloody wetherspoons if you don't have any ID, and they only accept drivers liscence or a passport, which is a bummer for the people that are not learning to/can drive.
    Thats why i enjoy going out in Loughborough because they never ask you for ID and on the rare occasion that they did my friend before he turned 18 would just hand his ID in, whihc his DOB obviously says he is not 18 yet, and the thick as shit bouncers are just like cheers mate in you go.

I'm just glad they didn't enforce the look 21 rule before i turned 18 cause i wouldn't have stood a chance of getting in anywhere!
  • Options
    Under 18s can get credit cards authorised by their parents. Just because you have a credit card, it's not guaranteed you are over 18.

I don't understand why people moan about being asked for ID, they are only doing their job. I'm 22, know I don't always look it, so carry ID with me. It's not difficult.

The younger shop staff rarely ask me anyway, they all look too scared!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    And oddly enough I've yet to see a 16-year-old till monkey go and get her supervisor...

That's my job, amongst others. Even when i'm not a supervisor, I have to sit at my till and conduct the sale for under 18 selling alcohol. It normally results in my bellowing across the store 'OK!' or 'ID!', and often involves me being effectively responsible for five sales at once.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Under 18s can get credit cards authorised by their parents. Just because you have a credit card, it's not guaranteed you are over 18.

I don't understand why people moan about being asked for ID, they are only doing their job. I'm 22, know I don't always look it, so carry ID with me. It's not difficult.

The younger shop staff rarely ask me anyway, they all look too scared!

On credit cards, that's exactly what I was going to say.

I take my passport everywhere with me when I go out because I don't have a provisional licence. However, i'm tempted to apply just so i've got manageable ID. Everyone should even if they don't intend on driving, most supermarkets only accept passport or driving licence, you should apply anyway. It's not cheap but it's worth it.

I don't care how big/'hard' people look, I don't have a problem IDing anyone.

In response to the original question - it's IDed if you look under 21. However, the duty manager and I have agreed that we're going to be over 21's for alcohol on Friday nights, just because we get so much hassle from people who're blatantly 17 saying 'do I look like i'm under 18?' so I can say 'no, but you look under 21'. However, if you have ID that proves you're 18, I generally let you have it.
  • Options
    Yep! as said before Tesco have a "Think 21" policy, if the customer looks under 21 they have to be IDed.

The best ID experience i had was in a petrol station of a different tescos to where i work. I got IDed for fags after i DROVE through the empty forecourt, and parked by the kiosk! when i got asked i just looked at her stupid until the other cashier said "oh its ok, hes regular". I mean its the least of their worries if they thought i was underage, when i had a 1 ton battering ram around all that petrol!
  • Options
    The thing I hate is people who try and get fags and say 'look, you can't get this card unless you're 16' - well, you can always get your daddy to give you his, and sign it yourself....
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    However, the duty manager and I have agreed that we're going to be over 21's for alcohol on Friday nights, just because we get so much hassle from people who're blatantly 17 saying 'do I look like i'm under 18?' so I can say 'no, but you look under 21'. However, if you have ID that proves you're 18, I generally let you have it.

So it has been decided that where you work will only serve alcohol to people who are over 21 on a Friday night? If that is what you're saying surely you're going to miss out on a lot of custom.

Also, your last sentence confuses me... if someone has ID to prove they're over 18 you will generally let them have it? So does that mean sometimes you don't? If so, why not?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    So it has been decided that where you work will only serve alcohol to people who are over 21 on a Friday night? If that is what you're saying surely you're going to miss out on a lot of custom.

Also, your last sentence confuses me... if someone has ID to prove they're over 18 you will generally let them have it? So does that mean sometimes you don't? If so, why not?

The duty manager has told me, as supervisor, that we will pretend to be over 21's wherever possible. However, if someone comes up with suitable ID (passport/driving licence) that proves they are over 18, we will still sell the alcohol to them. The over 21's is just there to stop drunk little shits running around shouting abuse because they look too young. We tell them they don't look 21 and we're over 21's on Friday nights, they go away not feeling like we're a bunch of arseholes and buy their booze from the offie that'll sell to anyone out of nappies, everyone's happy.
  • Options
    The duty manager has told me, as supervisor, that we will pretend to be over 21's wherever possible. However, if someone comes up with suitable ID (passport/driving licence) that proves they are over 18, we will still sell the alcohol to them. The over 21's is just there to stop drunk little shits running around shouting abuse because they look too young. We tell them they don't look 21 and we're over 21's on Friday nights, they go away not feeling like we're a bunch of arseholes and buy their booze from the offie that'll sell to anyone out of nappies, everyone's happy.

i agree with you there, but just be careful that they dont catch wind that its just a cover

even my local offy does this but is very strict, but sells to me cause they know i have a life and dont roll around drunk on the streets
  • Options

Do you work for Tesco too?
  • Options

how is the emergency medicine course going?
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Do you work for Tesco too?

Somerfield. I've checked the sales figures actually. No change in alcohol sales since before this was instigated. This is because we are still selling to those with ID who are over 18. However, we are just telling underage people we're over 21.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    how is the emergency medicine course going?

What???? Fuck you too! What the hell has that got to do with this?
  • Options
    i thought you were on a course for that cause you were going to be a doctor

that was a simple and innocent question and you rip my head off for it
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i thought you were on a course for that cause you were going to be a doctor

that was a simple and innocent question and you rip my head off for it

My apologies. I thought you were being unnecessarily rude in response to one of my posts. It's not started yet... Hence i'm working at Somerfield.
  • Options
    Somerfield. I've checked the sales figures actually. No change in alcohol sales since before this was instigated. This is because we are still selling to those with ID who are over 18. However, we are just telling underage people we're over 21.

So you're lying to people? Surely you have a printed and advertised policy? I can't see why you don't just refuse to serve anyone who looks under 18 who doesn't have ID, instead of saying it is over 21 on a Friday. Angry underage drinkers are as likely to get annoyed because they can't prove they're over 18 as they would be because they can't prove they're over 21.
  • Options
    why should someone have to carry ID we dont live in a police state, well we almost do - if someone looks mature and wont be silly enough ill let em in

im 19 but my girl mate who 17 got turned away last week, when she dont even drink anyway she just wanted to dance the night away
  • Options
    You shouldn't 'have' to carry ID. But if you want alcohol you should have to be ID'd. Regardless of apparent age.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    i'm working at Somerfield.

When turiing away somone without ID do you still give little 'quips' about how you're doing their health a favour?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    See I don't drink.. but I'd still get IDed going into somewhere though wouldn't I?

:yes:

i get IDed at bars quite a lot trying to buy coke. coke the beverage, that is. not the hard drug.

idiots.