Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

contraception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
uh, not sure whether this should go in here or in health, as i am an idiot!

but anyway, i am useless at rememebring to take the pill, and condoms are SO annoying. mid flow, mid passion, and you have to stop for the rubber.

what do people think about the injection and the implant? i got a booklet on the injection, and they seem to be a lot of possible side effects, but i dont know how likely they are.

help

Comments

• Options
    Well, depo is good if you're like me and really forgetful regarding taking your pill regularly.

However, since being on it for around 3 years I can say that my appetite has increased. About 70% of women who go on this do experience an appetite increase. However, I'm glad it did, I'm more curvy compared to my skinny self. I like it better this way.

Downside is, I get really bad bouts of PMS and a wee handful of spots on my chin - which I NEVER get - at the end of every third month. My bloke knows to avoid me. Haha, although this month hasn't been too bad. I'm due for my jag on remember, remember, the 5th of November! :D Just a wee bit spotty on the chin.

Although nothing really nasty and boil kinda looking thankfully. I think a lot of my spots I get at the third month of my jag are down to stress from my PMS.

Other than this, it's brill. You don't get a PERIOD! HOORAH!
  • Options
    The injection works really well apparently, it's the same hormonal treatment as the pill.

You will not be protected against STDs though, there's no subsitute for being careful there.
  • Options
    I didn't have good experience with the depo... as I got numerous infections and a bad over spill of unwanted weight. So the doctor had to take me off it. Though saying that, everyone is different. Best to talk to your doctor to see what she/he could recommend you.
    I'm on the pill now. Not happy with it either, only cause I keep forgetting to take it. One of the advantages of the depo: once you get it; don't have to worry about it for another 3months. Disadvantage: Once it's in your system and you decide to come of it. It takes months, even a year or two (If you're like me) before it clears out of your system.
  • Options
    Here's our contraception section and our implant factsheet.

You may also want to speak to asomeone at the fpa for more advice:

Family Planning Association
    Information service on family planning and all aspects of sexual health.
    Helpline: 0845 3101334
    www.fpa.org.uk

:)