Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Browser issues

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
Since I got my new computer, with new modem and suck, there's been a strange problem with all 3 browsers I've tried (IE, Firefox, Netscape).
Sometimes I click on a link and it won't do anything, or it will display a message that the site can't be found (when I'm already on it) or the page will stop loading halfway and similar things.
After a number of times I click on the link, it eventually loads normally, but how can I make it work ok? And what's fault is it? XP, modem, ISP?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    that sounds to be like an ISP issue, I would contact the technical support department of your ISP.
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    that sounds to be like an ISP issue, I would contact the technical support department of your ISP.
    Will do, tomorrow. Thanks
  • Options
    Nope... I just called them, and they said that whatever it is that's causing this problem, it's on my computer. They suggested that it could be the Antivirus (Norton 2003), but I had the exact same program on my old computer and I never had a similar problem.
    Any ideas what it is, apart from extremely annoying?
  • Options
    I still think its an ISP issue.

it just sounds like your ISP isnt willing to accept the blame so they moving the blame onto your virus scanner.

I'd get back on the phone to them.

anyway have you done a virus scan / spyware scan e.t.c?
  • Options
    Try running a winsock fix. Google the key word "winsockfix". This kind of damage is often left behind after removing spyware.
  • Options
    Winsock fix did nothing... I guess I'll call the ISP back, though they're the same ones I had before, so it has to be about my new hardware or OS, at least partly.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Sounds like a classic denial issue

You: "I have such and such a problem with your product"

Them: "User error"
  • Options
    I think it might be the modem, as there's more than that... Sometimes when I try to connect it'll work fine, but other times it takes many tries. I click "call" on the connection window, the status displays "calling", but the sounds that the modem makes (transmitting data) just stop at one point, and after a few seconds of silence I hear a "bee-beep" sound, indicating the connection was cut. :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Sounds like a classic denial issue

You: "I have such and such a problem with your product"

Them: "User error"

Yep, thats exactly what i thought.