Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

how much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is a cheap laptop I can use broadband net with, and word ect? how much would it cost/what spec would i need, nothing special just for the net and word docs?

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    £500-£700?
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    £500-£700?

Seriously, low spec as in 500mhz top?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Seriously, low spec as in 500mhz top?

I don't know. I doubt many main stream sellers would sell something that low spec-wise.

Try eBay?
  • Options
    i'll try and look around lol
  • Options
  • Options
    I think even a 500mhz laptop will still set you back about 2/300 quid. Have a look in Cash Converters. I think there's one in Colchester on the corner of Crouch Street.
  • Options
    Thanks Jst,

theres one on my route home so will pop in and have a look
  • Options
    if you want something that'll run xp you'll have to shell out 200 -> 400 at least, if you dont mind running windows98 and having a frazzled battery then you can probably pick one up on ebay for 100 quid
  • Options
    Thanks Jst,

theres one on my route home so will pop in and have a look
    cash converters can be expensive for what you get. very expensive ...i've seen pentium two's ...four hundred quid.
    have a look in quids in and loot if you want private secondhand bargains.
    or new ...check out DELL ...for around 400 quid you get a good little machine.
  • Options
    http://www.laptopsgoingcheap.com/ - they're low on stock at the moment but I've seen IBM Thinkpads with a PIII900 and Windows 2000 for ~£300
  • Options
    thing is you could get a cheap second hand one for like 200-300, or go into a shop and get a new one for 500 quid, that'll be better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    thing is you could get a cheap second hand one for like 200-300, or go into a shop and get a new one for 500 quid, that'll be better.

Thanks, it's just to use in college and what not,

(if I want to hook my pc upto the college network will I need the same OS as them?)
  • Options
    Thanks, it's just to use in college and what not,

(if I want to hook my pc upto the college network will I need the same OS as them?)

Just to use the internet - No, but bear in mind that some colleges and unis wont let you do that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    No, but bear in mind that some colleges and unis wont let you do that.

na I got premission to hook up to the network, just worried I might need windoze 2000 :(
  • Options
    na I got premission to hook up to the network, just worried I might need windoze 2000 :(

Shouldn't do. You can use DHCP to get a network address, which will work across a number of different OS. You would only need the specific system if you wanted to run some files or whatever.

You may also need to use IE if they have a proxy that uses windows authentication.
  • Options
    Ok thanks... I'd probably just use the network to access my user/server on there and/or the net..