Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Biting point??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I passed my driving test a while ago, in a diesel car, which is really easy to drive. But I have just got a courtesey car to drive, and it's petrol. Picked it up on Friday, and I have stalled it at least 30+ times... So, what's the problem? On a straight, get clutch to biting point? Car will start to move. Take foot off clutch --> will car continue to move, or stall? Do I need to put my foot on the accelerator? Moving off uphill. Get clutch to bite, defo need to put accelerator down, but when at bite, or just after? I can't believe I'm asking this and I;ve passed my test, but a diesel is way easier to drive than a petrol car, and I just need to figure this out, cos I am getting so frustrated by it!!!

Comments

• Options
    Yes, you do need your foot on the acelorator.

You need to rev the car to about 2000rpm ish, then bring the clutch up to biting point, then ease down with the acelorator as you bring the clutch up.
  • Options
    The general way is yes to put a bit more welly in the accelerator, I didnt realise Diesel was that different.

Smothly rase the clutch when you feel the biteing point a bit more on the accelerator.
  • Options
    But then it just shudders off... I actually wheelspinned it at the lights. Had stalled it twice in quick succession, then just revved the arse off it, dropped the clutch, and WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch that Peugeot 106 fly... :rolleyes: And yeah, diesel drives so different. I stalled the diesel maybe 5 times over the entire course of my lessons, and normally because I was in 3rd trying to pull away...
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    But then it just shudders off... I actually wheelspinned it at the lights. Had stalled it twice in quick succession, then just revved the arse off it, dropped the clutch, and WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch that Peugeot 106 fly... :rolleyes:

Perhaps something in between ?
  • Options
    Just feel like I'm not getting anywhere with it... :( Stalled it again this morning at a roundabout. Getting depressing actually. Need to take it to an industrial estate with hills and stuff to get used to it...
  • Options
    I will get there! Even if I have to wheelspin it away from every junction and every set of traffic lights!! Just didn't expect there to be such a difference between diesels and petrol cars. Oh, and nearly crashed it yesterday when I thought a guy was goign left at the roundabout, and was actually going straight ahead. Cue me thinking it was safe to go... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You maybe bringing the clutch up too fast, you shouldnt dump it, bring it up slowly, so you move off slowly.
  • Options
    Then I feel like a sunday driver!!! Better than stalling though, I suppose. I feel like I am bringing it up slowly, but I think it's maybe because I'm not putting the accelerator down at all.
  • Options
    Hmm. Shouldn't have to wheel spin really. What you need is a happy medium. The stalling is most probably bringing the clutch up too fast anyhow. You should hardly need to add any power at all to move off on a flat, you can increase the power once your clutch is up and you're moving. Yarrr.
  • Options
    I don't find that much difference between petrol and diesel personalllllly, not to drive anyway... i learnt in a diesel car, and have been driving a petrol one since... not had any real problems... i guess it's just a matter of getting used to the car you are driving, some people manage it faster than others...
  • Options
    The difference between two cars is greater than the difference between petrol and diesel.

Just practise. It's the only way. After I passed my test I drove an automatic, and when I went back to manual I was always stalling the chuffin thing.
  • Options
    Got a bit better yesterday. Drove back from uni, and never stalled it. Just trying to get it straight in my head how the whole set up works. Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The difference between two cars is greater than the difference between petrol and diesel.

Just practise. It's the only way. After I passed my test I drove an automatic, and when I went back to manual I was always stalling the chuffin thing.

I had the same problem. I passed my test in a diesel, then drove a petrol car for a year, then didn't drive for four years. Then I had 2 automatics in the space of a year and then I got the diesel I drive now.

When I got the diesel it was like being a learner again for a week or so...I stalled it left right and centre! Automatics are just like driving a dodgem.

I have to drive the works pool car tommorow about 50 miles to a training course, and yes it's petrol. I'm scared I will stall it and look a pillock :( Where it's so shiny and new the engine is almost silent so I probably won't even realise I have stalled it hehe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    Yep, diesels have more torque than petrol cars, enough to pull off with no increased throttle.

^ this is correct... my dad had a relatively old rover 400 that could pull off from a stop in 4th gear with the revs only at about 2500. impressive.

you have to rev the tits off petrol engines to get decent pull.

practice practice practice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    ^ this is correct... my dad had a relatively old rover 400 that could pull off from a stop in 4th gear with the revs only at about 2500. impressive.

I can get my fiesta going in 3rd.
  • Options
    Re: Biting point??
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    Ok, I passed my driving test a while ago, in a diesel car, which is really easy to drive. But I have just got a courtesey car to drive, and it's petrol. Picked it up on Friday, and I have stalled it at least 30+ times... So, what's the problem? On a straight, get clutch to biting point? Car will start to move. Take foot off clutch --> will car continue to move, or stall? Do I need to put my foot on the accelerator? Moving off uphill. Get clutch to bite, defo need to put accelerator down, but when at bite, or just after? I can't believe I'm asking this and I;ve passed my test, but a diesel is way easier to drive than a petrol car, and I just need to figure this out, cos I am getting so frustrated by it!!!

Some car's like mine don't have a cable that is connected to the accelerator but actually connect to a computer and it determines how much fuel to give the car and on some models the computer gets used to your driving style and alters accordingly, when my dad drives my car and I drive it again it feels so different for the first day or so!!

Also maybe the car needs a tuning if it's stalling!!