Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I Give up...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Theyve overlooked more than his personal faults im afraid. Try his administration's entire record for the past four years!

Bare in mind that it's a choice between 'wishy washy' Kerry and Bush.
  • Options
    "wishy washy" being the label ascribed to him by an administration which has done more reversals than a driver's ed student. You need to put those labels where they truly belong, with those who can only tell more lies to cover up for previous lies at every turn.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    "wishy washy" being the label ascribed to him by an administration which has done more reversals than a driver's ed student. You need to put those labels where they truly belong, with those who can only tell more lies to cover up for previous lies at every turn.

Absolutly, the problem is perception and perspective, and it is possible and almost easy to see both.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Absolutely typical of the patronising, self-righteous dickheads at the Guardian. For a British newspaper to tell foreign people how to vote in an overseas election is ridiculous.
    But presumably for the S*n or Daily Torygraph here, as well as the NY Post and surely every other right wing media in the US and elsewhere, it is perfectly okay to 'warn' citizens of other nations not to vote for certain people or to condemn them if they do?

Go check the things that were written immediately before and after the Spanish election by the Scum and Telegraph.

And yes, I acknowledge that providing names and addresses so readers can write to the electorate is going further than writing editorial pieces- but then again, the Guardian did not ask anyone to write in support of Kerry- unlike some newspaper editors who somehow believe to be in possession of the absolute truth and who see themselves fit to judge whole nations as 'foolish' or 'appeasers' if they dare to vote to the 'wrong' candidate.

There were actually many letters sent in support of Bush- some of them from the USA itself. I presume many newspapers will be kicking themselves for not thinking about it first.

And there is one last point: the US election has (sadly) and effect on all of us. I knew whom I wanted to win in Australia on a matter of principle, but I would never think of writing to an Australian pleading him to vote certain way because it is an internal affair. But with the US is different. With the US we have a candidate who is a crazy, fundamentalist, polluting, warmongering, dangerous and unstable twat who is going to succeed in killing us all one way of another, be through global warming or global war. And we have another candidate, who to the best knowledge of everyone is nothing like that. So it's perfectly understandable if people of the world feel compelled to act.
  • Options
    As a Guardian reader I cringed when I saw this idea. To me it could be counter-productive as the American people don't need foreigners writing to them to tell them how to vote anymore than we do.

I would be outraged if an American (or any other) newspaper gave their readership my name and address and told them to write to me before an election.

Why are people surprised that they reacted like this?
  • Options
    I was never mad about Bush, still not, but watching his speech at the Republican convention there recently, I agree with Fiend_85. It is not hard to see why he is elected. He is the guy that most Americans would like to sit down and have a beer with.

Whoever wrote that particular speech knew who they were trying to get at. And s/he did it perfectly. This quote, in particular, sums up the new approach his team seem to be taking: "One thing I have learned about the presidency is that whatever shortcomings you have, people are going to notice them; and whatever strengths you have, you're going to need them"

He noticing he has faults and recognising them.

We're still all screwed if he wins though. :p
  • Options
    "Please be advised I have forwarded this to the CIA and FBI".

LMFAO!!!!

They've got enough trouble over there with people sabotaging the vote without trying to prosecute a national newspaper for trying to influence it!
  • Options
    by the way, what is it with them cussing our teeth? I have perfect teeth, cleaned and repaired for FREE.
    I don't have to pay X number of dollars to get it done.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    by the way, what is it with them cussing our teeth? I have perfect teeth, cleaned and repaired for FREE.
    I don't have to pay X number of dollars to get it done.

Obviously they think we all have bad teeth like we think they are all fat and dumb....oh wait.... ;)
  • Options
    But every tv show that comes from the US shows how fat and dumb they can be.
    The only ones I've seen about our teeth are the Simpsons and the odd Friends episode...which are American :lol: