Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

trains with pete waterman

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
on channel just finished now, was interesting and showed the history of our railways and why its so difficult to update and modernise, and best of all showed the flaws of BR and some of the sucesses of privitisation

Comments

• Options
    on a different note, my god i cant stand pete waterman he could be reading the football scores and id fall asleep........
  • Options
    You can chuck all the money you want at transport, it still fucks up.

Look at First Great Western and their Adalante trains.:mad: You wait for 2 hours at Cardiff Central in near darkness then a fucking 5 car train packed with people rolls in, you suffocate between Cardiff and Bridgend then "get off" whether you like it or not.

Then theres those people with the roller-suitcase things.....and people who "reserve a seat for their bag" :mad:
  • Options
    The new trains are crap.

If you want someone to blame, you'd best be looking at GEC Alsthom (or whatever they are called now). They own the designs to the HST, and WILL NOT build any new ones. Even though at least three TOCs have said they'd buy new HSTs straight away, and pay more for them.

The Voyagers are just as crap for long-distance journeys. As is shown by Midland Mainline's new trains, which are Voyagers but long and good.
  • Options
    first great western trains suck big time! i completely understand about getting on a packed train at Cardiff (although i travel in the opposite direction to Bridgend!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by sadsong
    first great western trains suck big time! i completely understand about getting on a packed train at Cardiff (although i travel in the opposite direction to Bridgend!)

What can they do if none of the train builders will build trains that are suitable?

The HSTs are life-expired, that is a fact beyond question.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Kermit
    What can they do if none of the train builders will build trains that are suitable?

The HSTs are life-expired, that is a fact beyond question.

The HST's are past it now, but we need someone to make something with a similar design, none of this fancy electronic bollocks that Siemens etc are designing.
  • Options
    ok, fair enough.

i just hate trains in general!
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    The HST's are past it now, but we need someone to make something with a similar design, none of this fancy electronic bollocks that Siemens etc are designing.

And that brings me back to the point of GEC (I think now owned by the Canadian conglomerate Bombardier) who won't build any new HSTs.

Virgin looked into it before buying the Voyagers, and Chris Green was quite scathing. First looked into it for their Great Western franchise, and Midland Mainline looked into it before buying both the 170 Turbostars and their Voyager derivatives.
  • Options
    Originally posted by sadsong
    ok, fair enough.
    i just hate trains in general!

I thought the train service in Britain finished years ago.
  • Options
    Yes, 1995 to be precise.
  • Options
    :lol:

I love all this harking back to the "good old days" of British Rail.

Leaving aside the infrastructure (which should never have been privatised) the railways are in better shape now than they were in 1990.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Leaving aside the infrastructure (which should never have been privatised) the railways are in better shape now than they were in 1990.

Agreed, but surely you'll agree there's still a lot of work needed to be done on the railways?
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    Agreed, but surely you'll agree there's still a lot of work needed to be done on the railways?

Yes.

But to say that Big Bad Privatisation "ruined the railways" is to be simplistic and to wear rose-tinted glasses.

Railtrack should have remained a state body, but the TOCs being privatised hasn't made much difference, it any.

The thing that pisses me off about privatisation is the one thing nobody knows: who owns the trains.