Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Network/net

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right, if i have a network set up through my pc to another one. if my pc is turned on connected to the net is there anyway of the person on the network using the net?

Comments

• Options
    i hope i understand you

but you can connect two computers up to the net, but they way you are describing it i think, you have to have the first computer on for the net access of the second computer to work
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i hope i understand you

but you can connect two computers up to the net, but they way you are describing it i think, you have to have the first computer on for the net access of the second computer to work

yeah thats not a problem..

I just want both pc's being able to use the net without a router, and through one modem
  • Options
    network your two pc's together (with a network card in each machine and have them connected together with crossover ethernet cable) and then run internet connection sharing software (something like ICS) on your main desktop PC. (the one that has the internet connected to it)

and for information about internet connection sharing software

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

I hope this has helped.
  • Options
    Thanks, Also how much is a Good network card these days
  • Options
    normally about a fiver to about a tenner
  • Options
    Sounds like your on a Peer2Peer network so the main PC will have to be on all the time for the other PC to get on the net. You might as well get a router and/or go wireless.. it's far better.

I don't think you can have the 2nd PC using the net if the other isn't on without using an access point.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Sounds like your on a Peer2Peer network so the main PC will have to be on all the time for the other PC to get on the net. You might as well get a router and/or go wireless.. it's far better.

I don't think you can have the 2nd PC using the net if the other isn't on without using an access point.

na i don't mind using one on when you need the other on, and we can't afford a router so we're doing this cheaply,