Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The American take on it all

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok for those who don't know i'm living in America for the year which is interesting (as well as being an absolute piss up) for the presidential debates.

What I find most interesting is talking to Americans about it - back home we get Michael Moore and we're kind of inundated with all the stupid Bush quotes and I suppose I came out here with the impression that Bush has no possible hope of ever winning this election.

What is interesting is then talking to Americans and hearing their take on it - for example (at least to the fellas i talked about it too) Moore is a bit of a joke that is sort of the opposite pole to fox news.

Now while i knew Moore had to be taking liberties and exaggerrating I was suprised to find this out.

But its amazing how much faith Americans have in their own government system - I was talking about the Patriot act to an American friend and said how amazed i was that a country so historically proud of its inhabitants liberties and so distrustful of its own government would ever allow such an act. His response was that he knew that and disagreed with it but at the same time knew the government system would correct itself.

And another American friend was explaining why he had gone off Bush - because of Bush's way of leading through fear, that generally America runs on its optimism that whatever the problem they can overcome it. So (in a typically over-the-top-American-way) he said 'i'm just don't want to live in fear anymore' (although he hhadn't looked that scared when he was necking rum and cokes at the bar the night before but there you are).

It is pretty interesting hearing what average Americans think about it all - its amazing how much i assumed i knew about the political situation out here from what i picked up from British media and finding out Americans had a completley different take on it.

Anyway what is the impression you're left with back home . . . who seems on course to win? Most people i've spoken to seem to be of the impression that Bush is gonna take it again - and i have to say i haven't been impressed with Kerry in the debates at all.

Comments

• Options
    hmm.. what state are you in??

surprisingly... where i am, most people believe that Kerry is going to win, and that he pretty much killed Bush during the debates...

Also, money controls the voting (obviously) and with the economy not doing so well... Kerry has a very good chance..

Just out of curiosity, what's the age group of the people you were talking to??

it kind of sucks because the candidates don't really aim their campaigns toward the younger people so it's more difficult to get into politics over here...
    i mean.. while it is the youth's fault... if the candidates were to aim it toward the younger people i think more and more would vote...

but that was way off subject.. sorry.. my ADD got to me...

but liek i said, in my state, many of the people i talked to think kerry will win...
  • Options
    Illinois - all the people I spoke to are students

Hmm i definitley didn't think Kerry killed Bush - I didn't see the last one but of the others I didn't really think there was much in it.

Bush is a lot better than I would have given him credit for but again I think thats due to the impression I was given from back home.
  • Options
    Angel, what state are you in? I've been reading recently about musicians urging younger people to register to vote in the U.S is this having any effect? Also why do you think its the young peoples fault if as you say, the politicians are not focussing on them?

Nice photos btw ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Angel, what state are you in? I've been reading recently about musicians urging younger people to register to vote in the U.S is this having any effect? Also why do you think its the young peoples fault if as you say, the politicians are not focussing on them?

Nice photos btw ;)

I'm in Michigan...

It's not only musicians who are urging younger people, but it is a bunch of famous people, and to be honest i have no idea if it is taking effect or not... i don't agree with their campaign, b/c they are telling the young people to vote for anything, whether or not they are knowledgable of what is going on, they are just saying to vote... however.. seeing that Hollywood is all about Kerry.... the stars are influencing the younger people to vote for him...

i'm am not quite sure of the numbers... but i think there are 30 million people who are in the range of 18-30 years old... and only a very small percentage of that actually votes...
    if... more voted... hell yeah the candidates would aim more of their campaigns towards the young people... however, b/c the young people don't vote... there's really no need for the candidates to try to persuade the younger people...
    so it's the whole cause and effect thing...
    if more young people voted... the more the candidates would aim their campaigns towards the young people.. which in return would get more young people to vote and well.. you get it..

edit:: by the way, thanks for the compliment...
  • Options
    Would it be fair to say that the odious Patriot Act was introduced thanks to the incredible campaign of fear spread by the Republican Party?

There is a satirical video clip on their recent campaign that highlights this. Check the thread titled 'The Republican Convention Abridged' for a link to it. It's absolutely unbelievable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Angel, what state are you in? I've been reading recently about musicians urging younger people to register to vote in the U.S

Having a big, burly rapper shouting "Vote or die" is not very encouraging in my opinion. Just intimidating.
  • Options
    Another satirical but poignantly accurate animation of this conniving administration for any interested:

Get Stupid!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Having a big, burly rapper shouting "Vote or die" is not very encouraging in my opinion. Just intimidating.

True.
    I was told by my friend who spent the summer in the US, that they are really agressive with the message (as the slogan would suggest) without offering any further explanation.
  • Options
    I doubt it's aimed at you though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I doubt it's aimed at you though.

If you go by that logic then none of us should be discussing foreign politics.

Wake up, will you.

Fact is that it is made as an act to encourage people in my age-group, but doesn't really make a huge impact.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused:

I doubt that rappers trying to get people to vote in the US is aimed at you, 'cos I doubt you're a black person living in the ghetto in an American inner city.

I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Eh? :confused:

I doubt that rappers trying to get people to vote in the US is aimed at you, 'cos I doubt you're a black person living in the ghetto in an American inner city.

I could be wrong though.

The American presidential election isn't aimed at you either, being that I doubt that you live somewhere within the US or have an American citizenship.

Either way with Puff Daddy's (I refuse to call him by his new even more pathetic name) office being located in inner Manhattan and the description of the campaign sounding like this
    Citizen Change is a national, non-partisan and non-profit organization created to educate, motivate, and empower the more than 42 million Americans aged 18 to 30 that are eligible to vote on November 2nd --also known as the “forgotten ones.”
    it doesn't exactly suggest that he is solely after the ghetto youth.
  • Options
    Fairynuff, I haven't seen the campaign in question. But my point was that I doubt that 'a big, burly rapper shouting "Vote or die" ' would be aimed at someone like you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio

well.. it's not intimidating it all..
    it's supposed to be humorous, though it's not...