Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

downloading

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello. has anyone ever used bot totorrent or azures? i am wondering how great the chances of me me are getting done if you use one od these programs? i use protowall as suggested by someone else on here who said about in another thread. do I have to upload on azures.bt torrent?

Comments

• Options
    Azureus is a BitTorrent client. I use it myself (for downloading legit things like Linux ISOs) and find it to be an excellent piece of software. The nature of BitTorrent is such that you do have to upload.
  • Options
    I use azereus, the chances of you getting caught using this problem is very small, the only way that you can be found out is if your ISP monitors all your internet traffic, which is VERY unlikely.

As yes, the nature of bittorrent means users DO have to upload, because think about it, Bittorrent is a Peer to Peer program, which means people download from each other, if people have the attitude that "oh i wont let people download from me" then no-one would be able to download. Peer to Peer software relies on users downloading AND uploading.
  • Options
    Also, depends if ant anti P2P people are sitting on the network looking at what peopel are downloading. If you use a client where you upload as well as download, you always run the risk on getting caught.
  • Options
    by not having centralised servers, bit torrent makes it easier to hide. For copying things amongst a bunch of mates, it will e quite difficult to spot.

However, if you go to a big warez site, things are a lot less safe. The interested parties only need to do a download to get a list of IP addresses also downloading the file, and - even better, you will get a stream of people coming to you to get bits of the file, untl the tracker goes away.

Of course, those parts that you get from a copyright holder are (arguably) actually legal, but the parts that you got elsewhere aren't.
  • Options
    It all depends really, you're certainly not "safe" , Aslong as you're sharing you're entirely visible by anyone who connects to the bittorrent tracker and trys to download. however the people who have the task of catching people for sharing copyrighted files will find it immensely difficult to make a charge stick on people using bittorrent, the way it operates is such that no one person can get a list of all the files you are "seeding", so can't establish whether you're a one-off downloader or someone who's sharing absoloutely tonnes of copyrighted material. Also, in the UK agencies such as the MPAA only have the right to contact the ISP and request the files are taken down, they're not allowed to give out your personal details (yet, although a new law is supposedly to be passed to allow such a thing)

but basically aslong as you're not sat on a big fat connection uploading "Halo 2" to hundreds of people then you're entirely safe. the lawsuits that you've probably heard about involved p2p networks of a kazaalike structure, where you can dump out all the files on offer by a certain person.

the agencies always go for the people distributing, not usually the people downloading the copyrighted stuff. so you should be fine :)

probably made no sense whatsoever but i'll be buggered if i'm going to read this again.
  • Options
    i always wondered who goes after the RIAA when they download copywrited material off people ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    It all depends really, you're certainly not "safe" , Aslong as you're sharing you're entirely visible by anyone who connects to the bittorrent tracker
    so if they can't find the tracker (because it isn't linked to on a sharing we site) they generally can't find you.

the agencies always go for the people distributing, not usually the people downloading the copyrighted stuff. so you should be fine :)
    But with bit torrent you are distributing if you download. They do report these to ISPs.
  • Options
    But with bit torrent you are distributing if you download. They do report these to ISPs.

not in the UK. they've publically stated they'll only go for the "mass uploaders" , and yes although merely downloading on bittorrent makes you a sharer it doesnt make you a "mass uploader"
  • Options
    What counts as a 'mass uploader'?

Ilora x
  • Options
    Well they said that 15% of p2p users contribute to 75% of all illegal downloads.

my impression of "mass uploader" is someone who is sharing copyrighted work above the level of about 10 gigs,
  • Options
    If you got tons of files, just move them into another folder so the one your downloads goes to is empty or only has a few in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    not in the UK.
    British ISPs get copyright violation notifications.

they've publically stated they'll only go for the "mass uploaders" ,
    but also said they could go after others. Bit like saying we'll not drop bombs on the Iraqi civilians.

and yes although merely downloading on bittorrent makes you a sharer it doesnt make you a "mass uploader"
    Don't attempt to take lawyers literally. They play with meanings.