Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Summer 2005

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
any ideas on where i could go/look at? im not on bad money but i cudnt go much up from £700 as id need spends, id like to go out of the usual spain/greece etc and i dont wanna stay in a hotel with kids (sorry but i dont want screaming brats on my holiday) looking to go with mates soo any ideas would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Char
xxxxxxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    italy is really nice.. especially florence
  • Options
    What sort of holiday do you want? Clubbing, chilling, sports...?
  • Options
    Malta is nice, quite calm and relaxed. Cheap too.
  • Options
    How about Croatia? It has an amazing coastline and isn't incredibly cheap, but no where near the prices in Spain etc.

It has some great islands which are a short, cheap catamaran ride away from the coastal resort of Split. I was there with some mates for about a week and got a great three bed room for about 13euro each per night.

If it's a sun holiday with a bit of a difference you want then Croatia is great. None of the yob culture either as very little of Croatia as a tourist resort is known about in the UK.
  • Options
    I've heard very good things about Croatia myself, though I've never been.

From the reports I've seen out of that area, get in while you can, the problems that caused the split are far from rectified and there are some predicting another war.

But having said that, the troubles are quite far inland and are highly unlikely to affect the tourist areas at all.
  • Options
    Depends what you want.

I don't know about the cost, but I've heard good things about the Costa Verde in Spain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I've heard very good things about Croatia myself, though I've never been.

From the reports I've seen out of that area, get in while you can, the problems that caused the split are far from rectified and there are some predicting another war.

But having said that, the troubles are quite far inland and are highly unlikely to affect the tourist areas at all.

Yeh the worst areas are in the north east of the country where there are still a lot of landmines etc. But on the coast you're a world away and you'd never have guessed there was any conflict.
  • Options
    Well, there was another report on Radio 4 yesterday about 1500 Serbs who were forced to leave and now have come back and their houses have been taken.

Aparently the EU is having a go at Croatia because they discriminate against Serbs. They wont be let in unless they sort their act out.
  • Options
    Well what kind of holiday are you after?

My two favourite holidays were in Cyprus and Corfu.
    Cyprus is so hot and has the usual nice big beaches and stuff but its not dry and barron there is mountains and tree's and stuff, historical things and clubs as well and in the capital city there uis a big fence splitting it with turkish soldiers on the other side :| I think you need a visa to travel to the Turkish side of the Island but as far as i am aware most holiday companies dont have packages there anyway.
    And Corfu is really pretty and nice, not quite as built up and overcrowded as mainland Greece and as with every holiday destination there is the clubbing towns where all the 18+ go and quiter resorts and stuff, it also has loads of greek architecture and mythololigy and stuff. Depends what you are intersted in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    How about Croatia?

yeah, I just got back from two weeks in Croatia - it was amazing. Never seen such clear water and it's just so laid back - if you want to really relax, this is your place. We actually got Easyjet flights to Italy and then got the ferry across which worked out much cheaper that flying direct to Croatia. The islands are amazing - I'd suggest getting a guidebook and reading up about each of them as they are all so different, from the relaxed, chilled' out ones to the more party islands. The only drawback is that most of the beaches are pebbly - take mats for the beach and jelly shoes to swim in!
    :)
  • Options
    Yeah, Id definately suggest Croatia. Ive been a few times, both before and after the troubles, and absolutely love it. I normally go to the southern end- Dubrovnik and Split and the Islands around there.
    If you're after chilling out, go to one of the tiny islands. Last time I went to a place called Lopud, 7 miles off the coast from Dubrovnik. Its about 2 square miles with no roads, no cars and only one village. Great for getting away from it all! It has the usual rocky beaches which are great for snorkling, but it also has gorgeous little secluded coves and a sandy beach (where I apparently made friends with a naked german when i was two... Ahh, the innocence. (and did I mention that half the beach is/was nudist?!)
    cr23.jpg
  • Options
    I've been to that beach too! Didn't see any naked people though.
  • Options
    i went to cyprus last year, was absolutely gorgeous and the best holiday so far, would like to go somewhere different, croatia sounds gorgeous *dreams* cant wait!
  • Options
    This is what the islands look like...