Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Statue records

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
My band was just given a record contract from an l.a. based record company called statue records, does anyone know anything about them?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The first email you got off them would be more or less the same as everyone else that have been contacted by them which is like half the Internet. Everything I have read about them has been negative. Remeber, dont' jump at the chance to sign with the first label that comes your way. Always research the the label before hand and if you get the contract make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb. there are so many talented people out there that think it;s their big break by signing a deal but they end up getting riped off.

Click

Click

Click

Click
    Click

If you ever get asked to give a label money for anything like recording costs, PR costs, etc. tell them to piss off. No label worth while will ever do this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    and if you get the contract make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb. there are so many talented people out there that think it;s their big break by signing a deal but they end up getting riped off.
    Better yet, get a music lawler to go over it with you, these contracts have a tendency to be more confusing than anything else with various loopholes. Many people have been screwed over by music contracts including TLC, George Michael and many more!

And don't think Digital Labels for MP3 sales are any different, we've got an issue out here with a new NZ digital label operating through another (Trackitdown - who I believe pay artists via APRA as apposed to percentage of sales) who have a clause in their contract which basically takes all potential revenue from future complilation sales - if and when they occur!
  • Options
    well as a music student and i researched alot about them and it all seems pretty dodgy, however apparently they have a few different types of contracts and since i was nothing to do with the album my band made i dont have to sign anything, but the band leader seems pretty sure of it and he's done all the same industry classes as me , i just hope he isn't star struck.