Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Charity Fundraising Expeditions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can someone explain to me the point of these things?

Someone I met once wants help in raising money to send them to south America on some cycle trek.

I'm a bit confused cos it sounds like wanting sponsorship for a free holiday. How does camping and cycling benefit anyone??

I can totally understand it if once they get there they teach school kids for a month or something like that..

:eek2:

Below is what they say is a typical day for one particular site I found, probably not the same one cos it says wlaking but should give an idea.

What is a typical day?
Most days you will be woken up early for breakfast, pack up your kit and head off for a six to eight hours walk. There will be a picnic lunch en route with time to take in the scenery and rest your feet. Evenings are spent in camp (often with a camp fire) where the local staff will prepare a hearty evening meal with a pay bar available.

Comments

• Options
    If it was a young person (by which I suppose I mean like 16-18 or something like that)... then I suppose I can understand it in a way. I mean it'd be like a character building thing maybe? But other than that, no I can't understand it either. I'd need to know if it was actually benefitting anyone else apart from themselves really.
  • Options
    Re: Charity Fundraising Expeditions
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I'm a bit confused cos it sounds like wanting sponsorship for a free holiday.
    It's not too different to doing a sponsored bungee or parachute jump. You raise so much, you go for free. That's what it sounds like to me. Except this is on a different, bigger, scale.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Charity Fundraising Expeditions
    Originally posted by J
    money gets given to charity

Hmm. Still, I'd want to know more.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Charity Fundraising Expeditions
    Originally posted by J
    :rolleyes:

It's a personal acheivement and money gets given to charity, whats the problem?

I thinkthe question is how much of themoney goes to the charity.

I read up on some prices and it says like cost of expedition is £1750 with £100 going to your charity!!

So mean you'll have to get almost 2 Grand together from people's dnations to give you a hundred pound to your charity, sounds pretty bad to me.