Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

£50 Buffet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Perhaps someone who works in food or catering can help answer this question but if I gave you £50 to lay on a Buffet what could you do for me? And how much would you say is reasonable to spend on raw materials / food compared to profit? considering I'm also bringing in 95% of all the customers that walk in through the door that night and spending money on drinks.

The bar owner I did my Salsa thing in today did a Buffet for me, I said I'd give him £50 + a share of the entrance fees so he got £80 and make a load on the bar from all the people I brought in BUT to be honest I was totally apauled by the Buffet, it was like peanuts, crisps, tiny midget sized sausage rolls, cocktail sausages, a plate of french bread with cheese on it, spring rolls and to take the total piss a plate of hair-thin sliced cucumbers (WTF??) .. I reckon total cost of the food was less then £10 maybe even £8 and that's being generous.

And there was no additional staffing costs involved cos he made it all himself whilst we were dancing.

He's damn keen to have us back again on a regular basis but I'm not so keen if he's gonna take the piss on food!!

Comments

• Options
    that is taking the piss for £50 let alone £80.

as an example, every friday company near us orders about £60 worth of chinese food, that's off the lunchtime special menu and off the normal menu and that's for about 20-25 people, and we still make about £20 profit off of that.

so what you got offered does sound a bit pitiful to be honest
  • Options
    Problem solved. Order in Chinese next time :D
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Problem solved. Order in Chinese next time :D

mmm ... chinese :yum:

DG - I am afraid to say it but I think you were done.
  • Options
    Its funny a scotish person saying Buffet sounds like an english person saying Poofey.

My boss came back to the office and said
    "Oh we had a poofey (buffet) lunch with the accountants meeting"

Oh how I laughed
  • Options
    How many people was the £50 meant to feed?

I catered for my 21st birthday party which had about 70 - 100 people at it for £70 - which was basically lots of dips, bread and cheese and sausage rolls and some quiches etc - there was quite a big table ful of food though.

But if pushed I recon I could do a nice 3 course hot buffet meal for about 30 people for £50.

Having said that for my wedding the cheepest quote we got was £50 a head for a buffet going up to well over £100 a head and thats before VAT, drink, table hire and everything else you can think of.
  • Options
    I would expect some decent grub for 50 quid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    Having said that for my wedding the cheepest quote we got was £50 a head for a buffet going up to well over £100 a head and thats before VAT, drink, table hire and everything else you can think of.

It was to provide something to eat for like 25 people (i.e. £2 per head) - I know if you do it on a per head basis it don't seem much but when you take into account for less then £3 you can buy 2 loaves of bread, several cans of Tuna and Mayo and make about 25+ Sandwiches. Which would have been far better then what we got.

I think I'll suggest to him maybe we keep the £50 next time and order in Pizza, since he claims £50 wasn't much money!! He'd obviously done the bare minimum possible.

What really annoys me is that if I'd order £50 worth of food from his standard menu I'd have got more food and more variety, except he'd have to have taken 10 times more time to prepare it all.

£50 per head for buffet is taking the piss ..

I think these days it's cheaper to hire out an entire resturaunt then book a hall in a hotel.
  • Options
    This is his standard snacks menu off his website - I reckon I could pick out a lot better stuff from here then what he served for £50

Snacks and Nibbles
    Tomato & Avocado Salad (V) £2.75
    Sliced Tomato and avocado topped with red onion on a lightly dressed mix salad.

Soup £2.95
    Today's soup served with a chunk of baguette.

Cheese & Bacon Potato Skins £3.20
    Baked potato shells topped with melted cheese and crispy bacon

Spicy Meat Balls £3.25
    Served on a bed of salad with a chilli dip

Chicken Satay Skewers £3.50
    Marinated chicken satay served with a peanut sauce, pitta bread and a salad garnish.

Nachos (V) £3.60 (both dips £3.85)
    Large spicy tortilla chips covered with melted cheese served with garlic mayonnaise or salsa.

Falafel £4.10
    Mediterranean mildly spiced chick pea nuggets served with houmous, salad and pitta bread.

Sqid Strips £4.25
    Dusted squid strips in a crunchy style coating served with a lemon wedge and tartare sauce.

Mediterranean Platter £4.50
    Taramasalata, houmous, mixed olives, feta cheese, jalapeno peppers, salad and pitta bread.
  • Options
    hmm actually you dont get much food in any buffet unless you get a good caterer lol I've paid £100 for about 30 people on two occasions and that was the right amount to have some left over but £50 wouldnt ahve cut it y'know? Do you not have any family members who would be up for catering for you with a small chRge? OR even getting an independant caterer that charges by the head but with a specified menu prior? Or...lol likeing and lumping the £50 and just taking along your own nibbles to bulk it up? I'm afraid the managers don't care about the extra they make on booze as there is never any guarantee's that any expensive drinks will be bought, did you get the room for free? Because room hire is quite expensive (starts at about £40)
  • Options
    probably a bit late but in my experience, if you lay it on yourself this will allow you to put on a much larger and possibly better spread.

For 30 people you could beat that menu, with little effort and do it for beans.

I worked in a hotel for three years doing buffets for 10-350 people, so if you would like a few easy ideas for self catering PM me.
  • Options
    I had to give the owner a cut of the ticket sales on top of the £2 per head I set aside.

so he got £80 in cash in total from me and made loads on drinks cos of the way the lesson were structured with breaks inbetween which people used to buy more drinks.

I actually have no problems in keeping the £50 and making the damn buffet myself. I am also a member of two wholesale companies and can get really good party food packs for like £20 which would have given a lot more food and better quality then we got on the night.

The real point is though I'd expect him to want to do the catering cos out of the £50 he's probably made a pure £40+ profit by buying next to no food. Even the spring rolls were like 2 cm long they were tiny!!

Even things like Nacho and dip cos next to nothing to buy from the supermarket, for less then £1 you can get a big bag from Asda of Nachos
  • Options
    LITTLE effort?! lol I made a buffy for 10 people at home for an ann summers party(hehehe) and it took me aaaaaaaaages, i just couldnt do it for more people, get bored to easily!!!!

Mums and aunties tend to like catering though lol
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    I had to give the owner a cut of the ticket sales on top of the £2 per head I set aside.

so he got £80 in cash in total from me and made loads on drinks cos of the way the lesson were structured with breaks inbetween which people used to buy more drinks.

I actually have no problems in keeping the £50 and making the damn buffet myself. I am also a member of two wholesale companies and can get really good party food packs for like £20 which would have given a lot more food and better quality then we got on the night.

The real point is though I'd expect him to want to do the catering cos out of the £50 he's probably made a pure £40+ profit by buying next to no food. Even the spring rolls were like 2 cm long they were tiny!!

Even things like Nacho and dip cos next to nothing to buy from the supermarket, for less then £1 you can get a big bag from Asda of Nachos

yeh i guess you werent asking for alternatives, just to know that you werent crazy! His arguement would probably be that you got the room 'free' but if you didnt use him as your caterer would you have to pay for the room? See one room ive looked into renting before was £40 to hire or free if you used their buffet, but this started at £3 a head and minimum order had to be 75 :( sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. ANYWAY landlords can be wanksters, my parteners mum got married last year and hired the room for day and night, as she left for her honeymoon at 3, people wnet hom eintending to come back at 7 for the nightdo, when we went back they had clened up and refused to let us in....dodgy mo fo's, wouldnt care but it was a lovely venue i would have hired for future events :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by -Di-
    LITTLE effort?! lol I made a buffy

lol i wrote buffy :o
  • Options
    LITTLE effort?! lol I made a buffy for 10 people at home for an ann summers party(hehehe) and it took me aaaaaaaaages, i just couldnt do it for more people, get bored to easily!!!!

Mums and aunties tend to like catering though lol

I actually find cold finger buffet food quite fun to make.

Little Volevonts (spelling??) filled with tuna and sweetcorn or salmon

Sandwiches cut in quarters.

etc, etc
  • Options
    the only thing i can bear doing is sausage, cheese and onion sticks(YUM:D) suppose it would be a good way to pass the days anticipation whne you are waiting and worrying about it being a success? But I find the whole timing aspect a pain in the bumhole!
  • Options
    the only thing i can bear doing is sausage, cheese and onion sticks(YUM:D) suppose it would be a good way to pass the days anticipation whne you are waiting and worrying about it being a success? But I find the whole timing aspect a pain in the bumhole!

Well a lot of that stuff you can prepare several hours in advance cos it don't have to be hot, and just keep it in an airtight container!!

If we'd been at a Wetherspoons we'd have got 2 meals for £5.50 - which I'd gladly have paid the difference 50p per head to get food of that kind..

And I assume they'r stil making a good profit on it.
  • Options
    All I can say is, if that's what you get for fifty quid - hell, I'm going into catering!