Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

corporate shiteness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
read me

ashburton grove just sounds so much better.

and i dont know why, the first thing i thought of was osama bin laden :confused:

dont think there are any arsenal fans on here but if there are, your opinions please
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    £100m is an awful lot of money, and it's worth the tacky name for it.
  • Options
    Meh. And some people say United sell out for pure cash terms...

Personally, I would be disgusted if United renamed their home after a sponsor.

What happens when the contract expires?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    What happens when the contract expires?
    The name changes I imagine. Huddersfield used to be called McAlpine but the lease ran out and now its called something else, might be the same with the Arsenal ground.

Don't see the problem myself, its a new stadium and why not call it after the sponsor if its gonna mean £££££££££££££
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Don't see the problem myself, its a new stadium and why not call it after the sponsor if its gonna mean £££££££££££££

It's where I become the emotional football fan.

Some things are sacred - these being the club name and the name of the stadium. They are fundamental aspects of a team - identifying factors you might say.

This just smacks of another step towards franchising teams, the ultimate sell out IMHO.

Look at Elland Road, it has a history, and aura associated with it.

Now call it the "McShiteburger Stadium" - does it have the same impact?

How long before someone sells out the club name and you'll end up with O2 FC play at "Emirates Stadium"...?

I dunno, but sometimes I guess I'm just a purist.
  • Options
    Most stands are sponsored, what's the difference?

New grounds don't have any history, don't have any meaning. Personally I think Middlesbrough had it right with the "Cellnet Riverside" name, but then those names are worth less as the name is nmot remembered.

The sponsoring of stadiums is an old trick, it's nothing new. Huddersfield took "McAlpine" as the name because mcAlpine gave them a discount for it, Bolton paid for their new ground with Reebok money, Stoke paid for their new ground with Britannia Building Society's money, the list is quite long.
  • Options
    I'd take Derby's Pride Park (former railway sidings/wasteland) over a sponser. Nothing will come close to, The Baseball Ground thought. Ahhh yesterday.
  • Options
    But, of course, if Derby had got a sponsor for Gay Pride Park they might have had some more money now:p
  • Options
    For that kind of money, I couldn't care less if Pittodrie got renamed The Tampax Stadium (would we get extra sponsorship money if we went throught a bad period?)

Talk about biting the proverbial hand off.

Doesn't matter that much for new stadiums, does it?
  • Options
    The stadiuim name is only for a 15 year contract anyway. Stop fúcking whingin, you'll get your money.
  • Options
    Just part of the way the game is going now, just like the players with there image rights, what would happen if for some reason emirates went bust?
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion
    what would happen if for some reason emirates went bust?

Arsenal would find another sponsor.

If they're successful people will queue eround the block for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Arsenal would find another sponsor.

If they're successful people will queue eround the block for it.

No im talking about in the sense of what would happen with the money? is it a case of the money spread out over the duration of the deal or a one of lump sum.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    For that kind of money, I couldn't care less if Pittodrie got renamed The Tampax Stadium (would we get extra sponsorship money if we went throught a bad period?)
    :lol: I'd get your coat :D Still made me do some kind of cringing smile.
  • Options
    Originally posted by spartaalbion
    No im talking about in the sense of what would happen with the money? is it a case of the money spread out over the duration of the deal or a one of lump sum.

It's probably a combination. It normally is.

Emirates, being funded by oil, won't go bust:)