Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Comics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Following on from Pussykatty's magazines thread; it made me think about the comics I used to read.

I used to get Twinkle bought for me when I was about 5 - I think they were hoping it might turn me into a little girlie girl, ha - until I demanded Little Star instead. They still used to get me Bunty and Debbie though. :rolleyes:

Then I switched to Look In.. anyone remember that? It was like a tv magazine for kids!! :o I have to say I'ds never let my kids read that..... only stayed with that for a short while before I discovered Buster. Anyone else remember Clever Dick and Napoleon Dog, or Mummy's Boy?!

My football mad brother used to get Shoot! and Score.

So that was us. What comics did you read?

Oh, and I'm embarassed to admit that I went through a brief, early teenage spell of reading Jackie and Blue Jeans, before I came to my senses!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I really never liked comics!
    I guess I was a strange kid! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I used to love reading Donald Duck comics until I realized that there's absolutely no character development.
    There was never really anything else for me.

Nowadays I just browse through Mangas and other potentially interesting comics at the library.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kelly
    I really never liked comics!

neither did I. But then I didn't like many cartoons either. I think I liked more "real" things with real people in them.
  • Options
    Beano... on occasion, Dandy.

59.gif
  • Options
    I loved my Modern Boy.
  • Options
    How could I have forgotten the Beezer?!

Used to read it on Saturday mornings, lying on my bed eating penny sweets. Ah, happy days. *drifts off into a daydream*
  • Options
    Do you remember when you could get two chews for a penny? Thems were the days!
  • Options
    Edited: duplicate post

My computer had a funny five minutes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Do you remember when you could get two chews for a penny? Thems were the days!

I do. And a quarter of sweets was 10p.

I don't remember old money... I'm just too young for that. But my brother, older than me by two years, remembers getting a shilling pocket money...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Yes, I do!! And a quarter of sweets was 10p.

I once spent £5 on gummy penny chews and then ate the whole lot in one sitting, I felt SO ill afterwards.
  • Options
    but happy bunny doesn't count? :p
  • Options
    £5?!!

My nan once went to one of those posh Belgian chocolate places to get some with her sister and when they said £5 she nearly fell through the floor.

I remember when a pound was a lot of pocket money, and it was even better because it was a note.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fractal_Sutra

What?
  • Options
    Yep, I had 500 little gummy bears lined up and I just ate and ate. A truely horrid experience really, but once I'd started I couldnt give up.
  • Options
    Back in the days..... when I used to read the Beano - I used to keep all my old copies too, in date order. I had a couple of hundred until I stopped reading it and threw the lot on the fire.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yep, I had 500 little gummy bears lined up and I just ate and ate. A truely horrid experience really, but once I'd started I couldnt give up.

I would've. :/

Never liked gummy bears much myself. Mojos were my thing! And fruit salads.

Oops, I've hijacked my own thread.
  • Options
    Ahh yes, Mojo's, I liked them, though I liked fruit salads I thought them a bit tough. I prefered other fruit based chews.
  • Options
    Midget Gems!
    Jelly Beans!
    Pear Drops!
  • Options
    i used to get spirit of air (a kite flying mag) and sit with my aussie mate on hackney downs and read that while watching the robertshaws practicing the "winning" stunt routine........i was a very odd child.....:(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I still read comics. Not all the same kinds of course, but there's nothing about comics as an art that makes them any more "children only" than movies or books or anything else.

I used to read a lot of Disney things, and I still do sometimes, though not that much. Also superheroes, again not as much anymore. In the last few years I've been reading a magazine with comics of no "big, international name", simply people who make their own short stories.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fractal_Sutra

;) of course not
    Originally posted by Miffy
    What?

that was aimed at me but I only just found it :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar

that was aimed at me but I only just found it :p

Oh goody, I'm so glad someone understood! :confused::D
  • Options
    i remember vaugley litte girls magazines i used to read, usually had posters of kittens and hamsters in them, then from there i went to bliss, sugar and *just seventeen* then it became J17, im 17 now and i wouldnt dare read those now, its things like 'my friend says she has a vagina, what is that?'-amy,14,plymouth' 'i kissed a boy on holiday now im afraid im pregnant-chantelle, 12,newcastle'

the problem pages were always a laugh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i remember vaugley litte girls magazines i used to read, usually had posters of kittens and hamsters in them, then from there i went to bliss, sugar and *just seventeen* then it became J17, im 17 now

ah yes.

Which 17 year olds actually read J17? It's only read by 13 year olds who buy it in secret cos their mum's won't let them buy it cos they're not 17 yet.

And the posters of kittens and hamsters... ah yes. Every 9 year old's dream to have a barnyard of cute animals all over their bedroom walls. top stuff :thumb:
  • Options
    oh mizz who can forget mizz? they had a photo strip of twins who were always getting into tough dilemmas (one was cool, one was nerdy-the usual formula) i loved getting my free glitter with it though
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    'Sonic The Comic' :D