Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Windows 3.11 Software

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gave my cousin an old colour screen 485 Laptop with 16 of RAM to take to University .. it has windows 3.11 and runs well.

Mainly gave it to him to use to type up assignments in his bedroom which he can then put on a floppy disk and take into the main PC labs at Uni.

But wondering if anyone kows of more word / excel compatiable programs for win 3.11 and also some games, he only has Solitare and Minesweep.

Comments

• Options
    i must say old laptops thats run windows 3.11 are the bomb

and im not been sarcastic, they are so fun
  • Options
    I should be able to source you a copy of Word 2 or 6 and Excel 5ish if you want.

For the games, and anything else, try www.tucows.com and search under Windows 3. Just say if you want the old software.
  • Options
    Word 95 (part of Office 6) will be the last offering for W3.11 systems. Word 97 is probably still the most recognised version but I'm sure that even with XP the DOC files will be read o.k. If in doubt in the labs, use the drop down for file types in the save-as prompt to force an earlier Word format.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what the processor speed is, but at 16 mb it should easily have enough RAM for windows 95 which I managed to get running on an 8mb Laptop DX2 66MHz LAptop.

However that last laptop was done when I had access to a Parallel port LS120 drive don't have it anymore!! :(

And I don't think this has a PCMCIA Slot. It only has Floppy drive, no CD Rom.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    And I don't think this has a PCMCIA Slot. It only has Floppy drive, no CD Rom.

You could always get Windows 95 Floppy Disk Edition