Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

"ndis.exe - Bad image" - error message

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I start up my laptop, I get the recurring message about 5 times, and keep having to click "OK" to make the message go away. Why am I getting this message, and how can I get rid of it?!

Message reads: "Ndis.exe - Bad image. The application or DLLC:\DOCUME~1\Lucy\LOCALS~1\Temp\sva.1.tmp is not a valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette."

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure, I think that ndis.exe is a Win 2000 or a ME file which I don't know a lot about.

Try deleting your temp file and do a system restore. if you have that option. I know that there is a trojan (W32/Forbot-Z) which when it's files are dropedon to your system will copy it's self as ndis.exe. If you have an antivirus then make sure you do a full system scan so that your AV checks all folders and files with a .exe extention.. it should do that natually.

If you don't have an AV then you can get one here

Also you might want to get a2 trojan & worm scanner which is free

IF your antivirus don't pick anything up then click the links below for an online virus scan.

http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
  • Options
    Thanks for those links. How do I check to see if I already have anti-virus software on my laptop before installing another one? Apparently you shouldn't run two AV programs at the same time, as they compete with one another.
  • Options
    Check in your programes menu for anything that says antivirus.
  • Options
    Luce, you're a rare breed. You realised that you shouldn't run two AVs together and not many people seem to know that when they phone me up in support.

The best thing to do is hover your mouse cursor over the little icons sitting by the clock. Go over each one of them briefly to see their pop-up description. All being well, one of them will be an antivirus. Feel free to stick your icon decriptions here in case you're unsure. Also browse through the programs section of your start menu to see if anything in there resembles an antivirus.