Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

NetMeeting w/ WinXP SP2

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,
since I have installed Windows XP SP2 along with the new version of Netmeeting (3.01) it seems that I'm not able to send nor receive audio & video anymore.

I've tried this with a friend who has SP2 installed and one who hasn't yet. the result was the same. if I switched the windows firewall on I couldn't see nor hear my conference partner, neither could he. when I switched it off we could see each other's video but it was a really messed up (artifacts everywhere).

before I've installed SP2 it worked just fine.
all of us are on a broadband connection btw.

does anyone have the same problem and is there a solution?

Comments

• Options
    netmeeting is getting rather dated, have you tried using MSN Messenger for your voice/video conferencing?, It'll use upnp lan nat discovery and should work alot better than netmeeting ever did.

Other than turning off the firewall there Isn't much I can suggest. You could try patching your tcp/ip stack to allow more connections on a port, but I doubt this'll solve anything since netmeeting only opens up one connection. afaik capping the connections per port was one of the only main changes to the networking aspect of winxp.

I take it when you say "us all" you're implying that you're trying to have video conferencing with more than one person, hence the need for netmeeting.

It might be a problem with your network setup, perhaps something has changed during the install of sp2, are you all / some of you behind routers?

you could try running the network setu p wizard again on your XP machines.

imho if you're looking for video conferencing with video & sound to stream one cam/mic to multiple parties i'd suggest this application. Or if you've had problems establishing a connection with messenger's video conferencing then give this app a whirl!

hth,

noogness.
  • Options
    i didnt think people still use netmeeting
  • Options
    okay, then I guess we'll switch to webcamXP.
    I always thought that NetMeeting was kind of "the standard" :D
  • Options
    Okay, question:
    is it possible in WebcamXP to connect directly to another party (like in Netmeeting)? or do I have to set up a website for that?
  • Options
    you setup a webserver running on the person who's going to be broadcasting's computer and all the people who wish to view it visit that page.
  • Options
    but I can't see them can I?

I guess I should go with the MSN Messenger then, no?
  • Options
    yeah try msn first :)