Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Digital Cameras

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so this has been asked so many times before. I know this. But which one people?

I'm not a serious photographer. I just want a good quality one for my birthday that I can use regularly. I don't want one too expensive, ie. less than 100 quid. And it can't be too complicated lol cos I'll get confused. Oh and my parents want to get it from Argos if poss. They all look the same to me so I have no idea which one to choose.

Help please?

thank you :)

Jane

Comments

• Options
    *bump*

anyone?
  • Options
    You can get a decent kodak one with about 3.0mp for about £80. Really easy to use and a good name too.
  • Options
    cheers :thumb:

you mean the EasyShare one?
  • Options
    STAY AWAY from Argos!!! The camera I was looking for was £80 more expensive in Argos than anywhere else. Okay, it's convenient but consider it black sheep prices.

If you can, go to somewhere like Amazon on the net because it is next-day delivery anyway (for about £4).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    STAY AWAY from Argos!!! The camera I was looking for was £80 more expensive in Argos than anywhere else. Okay, it's convenient but consider it black sheep prices.

If you can, go to somewhere like Amazon on the net because it is next-day delivery anyway (for about £4).

cheers.

but which model?? any more suggestions?
  • Options
    I have the Canon A75. It's a bit more than you want to pay, around £150, but it's great and can make short films as well as photos. There's a lot of good comparison websites around. I don't think you will get a good quality one for less than £100. I suppose it depends what you want the pictures for- to print out? For websites?
  • Options
    Mintolta DImage X31 type series is a bit more then £100 but good
  • Options
    It's actually Konica-Minolta (they've ran a merger). I almost went for the Dimage Z2 (4MP, 10x zoom, £224) but it lacked a flash.

Finally went for the Olympus C765UZ (4MP, 10x zoom, £249).

Digital photography isn't mature enough in order to get a very good camera in the £100-mark. In 1999, a "good" camera was £500+.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    It's actually Konica-Minolta (they've ran a merger). I almost went for the Dimage Z2 (4MP, 10x zoom, £224) but it lacked a flash.

Who the heck told you it doesn't have a flash?

I have a Z1 and its got one of the most powerful flashes on a compact camera, goes upto 20 feet away plus you can add an external flash

z2_flash.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    cheers :thumb:

you mean the EasyShare one?

Yep the easyshare, about £80 in tesco.
  • Options
    i found the following 2 sites really useful when trying to work out what to buy:

digital photography review
    http://www.dpreview.com

steve's digicams
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

they both have good, in-depth reviews of most consumer digicams and dpreview has a side-by-side comparison option.

i agree re. not buying from argos... their digicams are often hugely overpriced.

t
  • Options
    For quality the main rule is to stick to the main brand names. There appear to be some good, well featured, bargains out there, and some of them are genuine bargains, but some are utter pants - but you won't know which until it's too late.

Get at least a 4 Megapixel camera, which will give you good file sizes to work with, and allow a bit of cropping, and still look good when printed out.

Have you budgeted for memory cards?

Ideally go to a camera shop rather than any other retailer (you wouldn't go to a greengrocer for a car, would you?) where they can let you handle the camera and try it out, even letting you take a few photos in the shop, and viewing them on a PC.
    Once you've found, and tried, a camera you like, then it's up to you if you buy it from there, or if you go and see if you can get the same model cheaper online or elsewhere.

www.ebuyer.com have a good price on memory cards.
  • Options
    cheers everyone :thumb:

So is this Kodak one RudeBwoy's on about any good?