Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Gareth Keenan from The Office - what to do?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my place of work there's a guy who chats to anyone, is a Christian (I am too) and certainly is not a nasty person.

The problem?

He irritates the crap outta me. In fact there is no-one on my team who he has not annoyed on a regular basis.

He is 35 but can be VERY immature (on a recent team training session our team leader gave us 2 bag of those 'fun sized' chocolates, we all managed to salvage about one bar each, whereas he helped himself to ALL the rest which amounted to about three quarters of each bag. In fact whenever sweets or chocolates are given out, he always ensures he gets a BIG pile of them for himself) is VERY VERY boring and selfish, for example if he is with a group of people who are approaching a door, he'll push his way through instead of maybe occasionally allowing others to go first.

We could all be having a conversation about something and he'll come out with a completely random and obscure sentence, effectively killing off the chain of discussion.

Another example, we were discussing the recent Windows XP sp2 patch. He was telling us he installed it recently and I asked him how long it took to download it and in his reply, his exact words were "One meg".

This kind of puzzled me, I assumed he was trying to tell me the size of the file (it can be different sizes for people, depending on what's already installed) so I replied "Surely it's bigger than that? It was about 75Mb for me" and his reply was "No, I meant I'm on One meg connection".

But what the **** did that have to do with what I asked him???

You can see, he's not being nasty or spiteful (if he was then I could take action at work) he's just, well, irritating.

Let me be clear that I'm aware that I'm far from perfect and quite possibly I annoy other people. But he's so bad that many people at work avoid him where possible and some would rather take the stairs than share a lift with him him (we work on the 6th floor, that should give you some idea).

The question is, what do I do? It could be called a 'clash of personalities' as he not been nasty or conventionally offensive. The best way I can describe him is like Gareth Keenan. Only not as charming or charismatic. You see where I'm going with that.

It's now at the point where I avoid him whenever I can but seeing he is on my team it's getting more and more difficult. We all have IM at work and if we're doing a project or assignment, he'll send a message around the team asking how we're doing. Is he doing that out of interest? No, not at all as he will then send a message to us all telling us how well he's doing and how fast he completed them etc - as if we give a flying ****.

I avoid him but he always actively tries to seek me out - I've never been the type of person to tell someone to **** off if they've not been nasty to me. As a Christian I know I'm to forgive but what can I do? I'm at the end of my tether!!

Comments

• Options
    We've all got people we hate at work, but as I always say, a job is a job. It's all about working as a team, even with people you feel like strangling sometimes. Remember you're only there for part of the day, not 24/7, and think about escaping to the pub or whatever afterwards, that's what I do.

You can always do what Tim does, play pranks and take the piss out of him! I don't mean spitefully, just make light of the situation.

And remember, it's unlikely you'll both be working together forever. You could be offered a job somewhere else, then you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    Maybe you could pray for him? At the very least perhaps your outlook toward him may change.
  • Options
    "But he's so bad that many people at work avoid him where possible and some would rather take the stairs than share a lift with him him (we work on the 6th floor, that should give you some idea)."
    LOL
    I've had experience of those kinds of people, the problem with them is that they don't takr subtle hints, so I say blank him cold turkey or everytime he irrates you say 'stop being such an annoying twat' and turn away from him.:)
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I don't think you've quite grasped the problem at hand here. He can't do any of those things because he's a christian.

soz Russ T Bitz, erm maybe you could explain to him kindly that some people may find his actions offensive.
  • Options
    you could say "God forgive me", then beat the crap out of him.

no seriously, that sounds like a really tough situation, and I dont have much constructive to say, just offering sympathy. Could you have a word with your manager? He/she must have noticed that this person isnt really working as a team. Maybe if other people have noticed it too then they could move him or just have a word?
    Another thought is something my aunt told me, shes a deputy head in a primary school, and she says that every year there is always at least one child who its difficult to like, theyve probably had it their whole life. She makes a point of treating this child as the favourite, however hard that may be at first. It boosts the childs self esteem, because chances are, theyve never been anyones favourite before then. It makes them a lot easier to deal with, and they usually start acting a bit nicer too.
  • Options
    Well forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here but if you're a christian aren't you supposed to love him? Um, ok, yeah he's annoying and difficult to love, but then Jesus loved some fairly unlovable people didn't he?

Don't know HOW you're going to do it, that's for you to figure out.
  • Options
    Believe me, it's my faith which has stopped me from already telling him where to go. He's just plain rude. There's not a hint of maliciousness in him, that's the thing.

Being a Christian doesn't mean you don't still get annoyed, or people wind you up. It's about having the love to tolerate them, which is what is happening now.

But I'm really at the end of my tether, a man can only take so much!
  • Options
    whats your job? Can you leave?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    Being a Christian doesn't mean you don't still get annoyed, or people wind you up. It's about having the love to tolerate them, which is what is happening now.

I don't doubt it, although it's interesting I've never seen the bit in the Bible where Jesus says "Tolerate your neighbour if you can." ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    whats your job? Can you leave?

Leaving isn't an option I'm afraid - I've waited a long time for this opportunity!
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I don't doubt it, although it's interesting I've never seen the bit in the Bible where Jesus says "Tolerate your neighbour if you can."

Although I'm sure you'll find many instances where it says we are all sinners and fall short of God's standards, and that none is perfect enough to be completely sin-free ;)

But you knew that :)

Anyway, I don't want this turning in to a thread on Christianity - anyone got any more suggestions??
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It's also about trying to do good, and to change people for the better. Are you sure he realizes how annoying he is? It's possible that he doesn't.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    It's also about trying to do good, and to change people for the better. Are you sure he realizes how annoying he is? It's possible that he doesn't.

Well this is it - how do approach him on the subject?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Well this is it - how do approach him on the subject?
    Got me there... I don't understand how people think in many cases, so I can't say. When I tried to do that, I was already "friends" with the guy.
  • Options
    I think youd have to befriend him first, before you could make critisism without offending him. Or maybe you could actually be assertive and mention it at the time when he does say offensive things, rather than let it ride because you accept hes just an annoying person. It sounds like individual annoying incidents never get challenged, he gets avoided but noone tells him why. He may not be sensitive enough to notice people dont like him, or have no idea how to act any differently. He might have been the proverbial kid in my aunties class!
    If you challenge (in a nice way) individual incidents, it might make him think what is and what isnt an acceptable behavior or comment.
    When I say challenge him in a nice way, I mean maybe saying "why did you say that" or "why did you say it like that".
    You could make it a mission to try and get him to be less annoying by gradual teaching of new ways and challenging his old ways.
  • Options
    People like that are usually oblivious to the fact they're being annoying. Even if you tell them, they still do it without thinking or realising.

The only way I can think of to get rid of the guy without hurting his feelings is to play him at his own game. Irritate the Hell outta him so he can't stand to be around you.

Personally though, I'd just tell him to fuck off :razz:
  • Options
    Thanks for that!

We've tried to be friends with him, in fact I tried to strike a conversation up with him the day we met to no avail. He seems to be very much lacking in social skills. This is then making it difficult for anyone to find a common interest with him.

That sort of situation then makes it hard for anyone to be able to feel comfortable enough to bring these things to his attention.
  • Options
    Do you think maybe hes got some kind of mild mental disorder?
    The autistic spectrum is huge and a lot of people go indiagnosed for years, people just think theyre weird.
  • Options
    You may have a valid point, and I would feel awful if this turned out to be the case but how would we find out? It's not really the kind of question you can just come out with...
  • Options
    You probably wouldnt be able to find out for sure, but maybe if you kept it in mind, it might make the situation more tolerable.
  • Options
    Everywhere you work you'll get gimps. Fortunately the guy who annoyed me (but for other reasons... such as him being nasty) has moved away.

Jus' have a quiet word with him? I mean next time he does something annoying tell him that he's being annoying.