Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

get a dog?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im watching loose women and they have just had some ceeute puppies on there which has got me thinking about getting a dog. tyler is one yr old now so can be taught not to torment and i'd like a young dog that will get use to tyler quickly. my partner wants a big dog but i want a little one as dogs scare me so thought a labrador could be a happy medium? not sure, what dogs generallyt are most friendly? plus i dont want my house to smell, my friends house stinks of dog :s i never had a dog (well my mum got one when i was four but never kept it co it bit me so i dont have much experience). anyway yeh, i have laminate flooring so would it smell? i like the idea of a faithful dog, and as i dont go out much i would feel nice and safe with a dog. hmm dont want one for the wrong reasons so gonna give it lots of thought. comments/ideas please?

Comments

• Options
    a dog is a BIG commitment. not quite the same level as a child, but on the way. since you're already a mother, you've probably a better idea about that, but you still need to think it through.

they can live anywhere from 10 - 20 years. so are you prepared to dedicate that time to daily walks, picking hair off EVERYTHING, never leaving the house for more than 4 hours at a time without arranging a dogsitter... can you afford vet bills, insurance, wormers, flea tablets, food, vaccinations?

if the answer is yes, congratulations! you're ready for a dog.

dogs do smell. it's inevitable really. although shorthaired dogs usually smell less, and if you're an avid hooverer and dog-bather, you can make your house smell a lot less. you can also get scented shampoos and sprays, but don't expect your butch male dog to like it ;)

dogs that are good with children? most, to be honest, if you raise them from a puppy and train them well. dogs are naturally friendly and gentle creatures, although if you have a little one you might want to consider a more placid breed to avoid the knocking over child every 5 minutes thing. labradors are great for that. also rottweilers are notoriously good with children. and i have a beagle, and she's brilliant with my 2-year-old nephew.
  • Options
    I would have said a labrador was quite a big dog. My ex boyfriend has one and i think they are great, lots of fun and energetic apart from the fact they malt 24/7 and hair goes everywhere.

At the minute i have 2 westies (one just died sob :() and they are small but bigger than them annoying yappy dogs and i always get awww'ed at, and people coming up to stroke them when walking them. I think they are great but and at one point we had 7 when one of my dogs had puppies, which was tonnes off fun.

But about the smell, well yeah dogs to tend to smell so you will find that hoovering a bit more and febreeze is you best friend.

You have to take in to consideration bigger dogs do need feeding and walking more often, which might be a bit more hassel if you have a young child.
    And i have always found the temperment of dogs to be good and loyal, all you have to do is treat them right. I love my dogs I can't actually imagine not having one about.
  • Options
    Here are my two, they are both a poor excuse as to what they are supposed to look like, the top one he was like the little runt of his litter he stopped growing and is always such a scruffy bean
    and the second one my mum came down in the morning to find her (her mum had gave birth to her in the middle of the night and just letf her on the floor) and thought she was dead and brought her back to live by warming her hot water :crazyeyes so she is a bit loopy so to speak

But I erm like to think it makes them more individual :|
  • Options
    they are UBER cute!!! i might get one of them :D
  • Options
    You can buy dog bathing wipes. (bit like makeup remover wipes) eventhough you will need to bath themk occasionally they get rid of the smell. mine only gets bathed about once a year and he doesnt smell.

Spaniels tend to be good with kids or labradoors/ golden retrievers.

Spaniels are mad tho.
  • Options
    You want loyalty

get a dog
  • Options
    My Dad breeds Bichons Frise. As a breed they have the friendliest temprament I've seen. They're great with kids. Hell, they're great with anyone! They grow to about the same size as a Westie. And they don't moult!!

Belle_Beau.JPG

However, they do get bored if they're left on their own a lot and then they tend to chew things.
  • Options
    awwww there well cute. do they yap tho? i couldnt cope with a dog that yaps
  • Options
    Puppies may look cute but they can be complete nightmares.
    I found it really hard work when my dog was a pup, they require a LOT of attention, its like having another child basically, the only difference being that you can leave a dog alone in the house when you go out.
    Its a pain if you want to go out for the weekend or stay out overnight somewhere because even if you can take your child certain places, you cant always take a dog.
    Can you handle picking up dogshit? Vets bills, walking it everyday, rain or shine with a child. I find this the worst bit as its incredibly stressful walking my dog when my 3 year old is with me as if one runs, the other runs after. It was ok when he had a pushchair, but they soon grow out of that.
    There are lots of things to consider, kennel fees if you go on holiday or friends who will dog-sit.
    A hell of a lot of people get puppies because theyre cute, but are not prepared for the reality of dog ownership.
    Have you considered getting an older rescue dog?
    much easier,cheaper and those dogs really need homes.
  • Options
    I never had a dog, but, if your problem is the smell... well I know a women who has that small dogs I cant remember the name and her house stinks :s... my boyfriend has a dog, a "street dog", and his house smells good... so... I don't know what to say :s

if your bigest problem is your scare of dogs... oh you definetly must have one!!!! they are sooooooooooooooo cute, and so friendly... My boy's dog is soo smart and cute and it realy loves him, and... and... oh I would love to get a dog, but i dont have the right place and the time they need :(

retriever seems a good option... ;)

Good Luck! :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by not_an_angel

if your bigest problem is your scare of dogs... oh you definetly must have one!!!! they are sooooooooooooooo cute, and so friendly...
    er not all dogs are. You get as many different personalities in dogs as you do in humans.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If you don't want your house to smell it would be worth considering a breed with short hair.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    If you don't want your house to smell it would be worth considering a breed with short hair.
    or just get a hoover and a glade plug-in.
  • Options
    Dogs are a big commitment. Ive had a dog all my life, so i dont know any different, but you need to be prepared. Puppies are cute, but they leave a hell of a mess, they arent toilet trained remember and do thier "business" anywhere, plus they enjoy chewing and are very hyper. You need to have the time on your hands and to be there for the puppy, getting one and then leaving it on its own isnt good. We have laminate flooring and its good cos its easier to clean up, only thing is the dogs slide everywhere lol, poor things!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    er not all dogs are. You get as many different personalities in dogs as you do in humans.

yes, but usually, they are better than humans...
  • Options
    Originally posted by not_an_angel
    yes, but usually, they are better than humans...
    I wish that were true but it isnt.
  • Options
    I want a lhaso-apso. SO cute. The wee puppies..AHHH Bless. I dunno if that's how you spell it, btw. But sod it..have a piccie of 'em.

LOOK AT THE PUPPY. AAAAAAH.

71954_15159.jpg
  • Options
    This is our new puppy...she's a lil devil. Alot of hardwork, but damn worth the effort
    sox.jpg 32.4K
  • Options
    nah hes ugly.
    I think you should get one of
  • Options
    Originally posted by malteser monkay
    This is our new puppy...she's a lil devil. Alot of hardwork, but damn worth the effort

Awwww! How precious. I want another doggy. :(
  • Options
    I havent even shown a pic of my dogger yet, so here ya go :)
  • Options
    nah hes ugly.
    that was in reply to 1983s post by the way.
  • Options
    nah hes ugly.

He just looks right glaikit. No tar.

I prefer fuzzy puppies :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    He just looks right glaikit. No tar.

I prefer fuzzy puppies :D
    how can you say that. Hes handsome.
    i want one.
  • Options
    this is my baby, hes a border terrier (sorry about the pic had to downsize it!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

Bless! He looks sooo cheeky!
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1983
    Bless! He looks sooo cheeky!
    i just found him on my bed, put him in his basket and hes sneaked past me again! hes so lovely with his little personality
  • Options
    i have an older version of one of those called oscar, hes a crazy little hairy bastard, who LOVES cheese
  • Options
    its a rat!
  • Options
    Originally posted by evil_dave
    i have an older version of one of those called oscar, hes a crazy little hairy bastard, who LOVES cheese

mines is called oscar!

rainbow brite- how would you like it if someone called your child a rat?! :crying: