Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paging file. . . .

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How on earth do i change it, i set it a bit high once and i cant remember how to bring it back down my mate told me its way too high.. ??

Also can you guys tell me of any dedicated computer forums that are worth joining

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Right click on "My Computer"
    Click "Properties"
    Click "Advanced"
    Under where it says "Performance" click "Setttings" then click "Advanced" then look at the bottem of the dialog windows and it will say "Change". Click that then set it to the required amount and press OK 3 times.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Right click on "My Computer"
    Click "Properties"
    Click "Advanced"
    Under where it says "Performance" click "Setttings" then click "Advanced" then look at the bottem of the dialog windows and it will say "Change". Click that then set it to the required amount and press OK 3 times.

Thank you :D
  • Options
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=what+is+a+paging+file&btnG=Search

Funnily enough the first result explains what one is...............................
  • Options
    Yes,

Now the first result is

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307886&sd=tech

now if you find about 1/4 down the page it says SUMMARY

and underneath that it says

The paging file is the area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were random access memory (RAM) This is sometimes known as "virtual memory." By default, Windows stores this file on the same partition as the Windows system files. You can increase the performance of Windows, and increase free space on the boot partition, by moving this file to a different partition.

note where it says The paging file is the area on the hard disk that Windows uses as if it were random access memory (RAM) This is sometimes known as "virtual memory."

now do you see?
  • Options
    also the Third result down has the following title...

The Windows XP Page File

and funnily enough explains what a page file is!

would you believe it!
  • Options
    you see if you actually bothered to read either the first link or even the third link that i mentioned, it explains what it is.

If after you have read it and you still dont understand, then the answer to "what is a page file" is obviously out of your intelligence and you dont need to know what it is.
  • Options
    well ive always found that if you dont know what something / dont understand what something is/does then you dont need to know what it is/does.

same thing applies to the fact if i had a car i wouldnt go into the garage and ask what every single thing in the car does, because most of the time you dont need to know.
  • Options
    It allows an operating system to use hard disk space to simulate extra memory. When your system runs low on memory, it swaps a section of RAM that an idle program is using onto the hard disk to free up memory for other programs. Then when you go back to the swapped out program, it changes places with another program in RAM.
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure what too much might be.