Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Body Fat Percentage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What percentage of body fat do you have to get down to before you can see underlaying muscle on the arms, chest and abs?

I have one of those weighing scales that sends an electronic pulse through your body and tells you for your height and weight how much body fat you have.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    7-10% is ideal..

Do you train?
  • Options
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    7-10% is ideal..

Do you train?

I've only just started recently and right now concentrating more on the fat burning stage already seeing the results... not that I've discovered that music helps a lotin the gym I can easily manage 45 mins to 1 hour onthe skiing machine which I prefer a whole lot to the running machine!!!

For some reason in my head I seem to think getting down to 16% would be a good number!! i.e. not too fat / not too thin.

I have a monitor scale so I'll see how I go.
  • Options
    16% you will not be slim but not enough for your abs to be showing properly.

I'm trying to get to 10 but I'm bulking so I'm eating horse portions :D
  • Options
    7-10% is very low...like elite athlete style skinny....the average for men is around 12-15% i think...we did this testing not so long ago at uni. i reckon around 10-12% would be about right for your abs to show. mine are starting to show and im still around 18% (altho im female and the average is generally higher for females)
  • Options
    I had the proper test done yesterday. and im about 24%.

Edited to change cos i pressed the wrong button.
  • Options
    Originally posted by scarlettcloud
    7-10% is very low...like elite athlete style skinny....the average for men is around 12-15% i think...we did this testing not so long ago at uni. i reckon around 10-12% would be about right for your abs to show. mine are starting to show and im still around 18% (altho im female and the average is generally higher for females)

Not sure if abs showing on a girl is so important to look good.

I think the Birtney spears type tummy is nice!!
  • Options
    10% is bordering on the dangerously low, for the record. Professional cyclists are at about 6%, and they technically shouldn't be alive.
  • Options
    I did some body fat thing in Biology. Well muscle to fat ratio. I got 33% when everyone else was less than 10% :eek: I'm clinically obese even though I am a skinny bastard.:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    10% is bordering on the dangerously low, for the record. Professional cyclists are at about 6%, and they technically shouldn't be alive.

What??

10% isn't dangerously low at all!!

I'd say 5-6% is athlete style skinny, anything less is dangerous.

Did anyone watch that programme on 5 with that poor boy who was muscley as fuck but only had a BF% of 1.5% at one point!! :( Poor fucker was only 11!