Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Freshers week

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So how have people's experiences of Freshers 2004 been?

personally i was totally underwhelmed by the whole thing. Wasnt that bad but just wasnt all that impressed.

no reflection on the people who organised it, because they pulled off an amazing week and put in some serious hours to get it done, well done the Hunter Court lot :D

So how about it people, how was freshers 2004?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    mine last year was erm dead cause it was all rnb nights :( and no pub crawls :(

only goodnight was when out with rock and metal society
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    mine last year was erm dead cause it was all rnb nights :( and no pub crawls :(

only goodnight was when out with rock and metal society

I read that as mental society...oops...made me laugh tho :lol:
  • Options
    yeah pretty good down at greenwich, makes a nice change......so many women here i can't stop ogling!......
  • Options
    The one here at Edinburgh was pretty awful, not all that much happening except a load of tacky beach party/school disco/foam party type events which take 3 hours of queuing to get into and never live up to the hype.

Did get a much better persepective of the university/nightlife from a 3rd year who showed us round the decent places though.
  • Options
    I live opposite my old uni, I left this year just gone. I'm a working girl now, so go to bed relatively early... was kept up really late by stupidly loud music both last night and the night before :( So I am very glad freshers week is over :D
  • Options
    Ah, freshers week.

The ultimate reminder as to why I hate students :razz:
  • Options
    I'm not a fresher; I'm doing year 2 now, but Freshers week is good for the following reasons:-

You get to meet a lot of new people - inc. some very good looking guys (or girls if you're a guy, or I guess both if your bi) :flirt:

You get to go out each night of the week, and not worry about attending lectures the next day

You get handed loads of free stuff
    (- or at least you do at my uni)

It's the week you get your loan cheque to blow on booze and stuff

You get to break a load of gadgets trying to figure out how things work as you start to learn how to look after yourself

You get to join loads of different clubs and societies

If you've just left home... you get away from your parents

And you learn how to make chickens explode in the microwave!:D

... ermmmm... I'm sure there are lots of other reasons... too tired to think...
  • Options
    I'm sure freshers is good for the students (although I think my freshers week passed by without too much notice), but not for the people who live in the vicinity and have to wait until 2am for their windows and doors to stop rattling before they can sleep :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    not for the people who live in the vicinity and have to wait until 2am for their windows and doors to stop rattling before they can sleep :(

- guess you are probably right there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kate1
    I'm sure freshers is good for the students (although I think my freshers week passed by without too much notice), but not for the people who live in the vicinity and have to wait until 2am for their windows and doors to stop rattling before they can sleep :(

I hate fucking students.

Especially posh ones.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I hate fucking students.

Especially posh ones.

like Cambridge or Oxford you mean?
  • Options
    I've been a fresher since Saturday and am hating it tbh.
    All the students are foreign and don't speak a word of english.
    The 'halls party' last night finished at half ten :crazyeyes:
    I've phoned home about 4 times already, bursting into floods of tears each time.
    I'm shitting myself about getting to enrolment on my own too.
    Living in London, I'm so petrified of getting mugged or something.

So far, the only plus point of being at uni is seeing my dad on thursday- he's coming down with some bits for me like a mirror
    :rolleyes:

So yes, I'm hating it. Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I've been a fresher since Saturday and am hating it tbh.
    All the students are foreign and don't speak a word of english.
    The 'halls party' last night finished at half ten :crazyeyes:
    I've phoned home about 4 times already, bursting into floods of tears each time.
    I'm shitting myself about getting to enrolment on my own too.
    Living in London, I'm so petrified of getting mugged or something.

So far, the only plus point of being at uni is seeing my dad on thursday- he's coming down with some bits for me like a mirror
    :rolleyes:

So yes, I'm hating it. Ilora x

Sometimes, I guess it can be a little bit of a rough ride going off to university. Being surrounded by people that you don't know, or feeling different because of the people that surround you. If all the students are foreign - It will probably be just in the halls you are in (if you are in halls!); if you don't like the environment of the halls that you are in, in about a weeks time, after enrollment, - you can ask to change halls: because a lot of people quit in the first few weeks and as they do - rooms become avaliable elsewhere.

The rest of your university: - you'll probably meet people like yourself; who you can talk to and become friends with - you could try going down to the freshers fair and joining different clubs / societies - it's a great way of meeting people with similar interests to you :yes: , and gives you quite a good social life as well!

Also, although it's perfectly natural; try not to be scared of going around on your own for a bit - you're just settling down and it will take time to make friends, and get to know your new environment. Once your lectures start - they will be quite a good distraction for you - because believe me; - they require a hell of a lot of work!

- I guess, it's just about putting up with it for a little while, but don't be scared to ask for help if you need it.
  • Options
    I hate fucking students. Especially the posh ones

i sympathise.

Everyone in my flat is talking about what they did over the summer; travelling, trekking in india etc.. then i turn round and go 'Oh no sorry, i was working like a BASTARD while you were off enjoying yourselfs'. I wouldnt mind except when i said that all i did was work and get pissed i get REALLY looked down on.

All public school educated, eveyone in my block!

Oh and some cow from upstairs, who was half-pissed in our kitchen one evening told me i 'ate like a pig' (in all seriousness) because i took a forkfull of noodles while standing up. I felt like ripping her for that.

:mad:
  • Options
    I hate fucking students. Especially the posh ones

- You know this is going to sound a bit wierd. But I don't think, I've met a "posh" student! I've met complete bitches; people who think they are better than anyone else (- which is sort of similar); But mostly, I've met just ordinary people who are students - but posh??? :confused: - I don't think I've come accross that breed of student yet - sounds interesting though... "a posh student"

ermmmmm....

*drifts into deep thought *

Ah, may be... it's just my University???
  • Options
    I loved freshers week this year, probably because i wasn't a fresher, it was far more fun :p Though i completely failed to get any interesting free stuff or join any clubs/socs.
  • Options
    I hate fucking students.

Especially posh ones.

Two ways of reading that statement but I'm sure I've got the right one :p

Why is it that as soon as people graduate, they take a dislike to students?

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Two ways of reading that statement but I'm sure I've got the right one :p

Why is it that as soon as people graduate, they take a dislike to students?

;)

Because they know that in a year, these little bastard students will be entering the real world, with no actual experience, no idea of what on earth they're doing, but they think they have the right to be taken seriously because they have a degree. mostly because graduates are a bunch of hypocrites i guess.
  • Options
  • Options
    Its a lot better in the second year, spent the whole week pissed.

Sadly on the last day I fucked up something bigtime and am punishing myself by not drinking for 40 days.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Its a lot better in the second year, spent the whole week pissed.

Sadly on the last day I fucked up something bigtime and am punishing myself by not drinking for 40 days.

Kristian? Pissed? Never!!

Hows it going man? :razz:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir

Oh and some cow from upstairs, who was half-pissed in our kitchen one evening told me i 'ate like a pig' (in all seriousness) because i took a forkfull of noodles while standing up. I felt like ripping her for that.

Oh dear...I ate a whole bowl of noodles whilst standing up yesterday!!

Yeah there are some really posh people her in Bristol...but I'm quite lucky, my corridor has loads of really nice, down-to-earth girls. Even if they do seem to have a lot more money than me...oh well.

Fresher's... well, it's been ok. I don't think anything's hit me yet, so I'm still really chilled out and fine with everything...kinda worried that maybe in a few weeks I'll break down and get homesick! Or maybe the amounts of independance I've always had at home have just helped me settle in fine!

Ooooh one of the bests bits about Fresher's was they gave away free hot dogs and soup outside the Fresher's fair! And then free Domino's pizza inside!

xxx
  • Options
    There are LOADS of posh people here (in Oxford). However, they are all students, not people who actually live here.

I myself was accused of being posh last week :(