Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Downers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right now i have a really burning urge to try depressant drugs. For those of you who read my earlier post concerning my possetion of out-of-date pethidine tablets My Old Friends , this is the kind of effect that i am seeking (not so much the mild euphoria, as the relaxed warmth, if those are separable?)

Have always wanted to try Valium, and have read all the info presented by The Site on this issue (as well as perrusing Erowid) but wondered if anyone has had any experiences with recreational 'Downer' usage?

Oh by the way i didnt burn all of my Peth tabs, i found one half sheet that fell out of the box

:) / :(

Comments

• Options
    I find tranqs a little lame compared to opiates.

Valium is kind of fun, if you take the right amount. Tolerance builds up if you're constantly taking it. When you're not on em you get pretty depressed and irritable.

That's about as far as my experiance with tranqs go.
  • Options
    Just a word of warning that valium is highly addictive... (GPs now only prescribe it for really limited times because of this) and your tolerance builds up really quickly. If you do become dependent on them the withdrawal isn't pretty. Mixing with alcohol isn't advised either.
  • Options
    valium should be renamed boredom.
    if you get hooked the withdrawl is actualy dangerous in that it can be life threatening.
    you can cold turkey from heroin and boy is that grim! but it never killed anyone.
    you cannot go turkey from valium ...it's a long slow depressing process.
    mostly.
  • Options
    I've never seen the point of doing downers, they are just quite dull.

Valium just makes you feel relaxed and sleepy. And? Just get up in the middle of the night and you'll feel roughly the same.

Opiates are quite different.

Both are potentially very addictive and withdrawl from benzo's can even be fatal!
  • Options
    i would like to seek out smokable opium but as far as i am aware it doesnt exist in this country.

and going looking for the lumps of brown that we get here to smoke doesnt sound to appealing:(

really would love to try smoking opium if the chance ever arose though:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I've never seen the point of doing downers, they are just quite dull.

Valium just makes you feel relaxed and sleepy. And? Just get up in the middle of the night and you'll feel roughly the same.

Opiates are quite different.

Both are potentially very addictive and withdrawl from benzo's can even be fatal!

Yeah, they're shite lol.

Fall asleep, get up 14 hours later and feel like shit for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    i would like to seek out smokable opium but as far as i am aware it doesnt exist in this country.

and going looking for the lumps of brown that we get here to smoke doesnt sound to appealing:(

really would love to try smoking opium if the chance ever arose though:)
    the smoking of opium well may become possible and even fashionable again with the size of the current crop produced in afghanistan with american financial backing and blessing.
    opium smoking is a very unsociable thing to do on the whole. it is not the sort of drug you take in a club or in the park with your mates.
    to use opium properly you havea comfortable couch and some pillows. you smoke you pass out you dream ...you come round you smoke some more and pass out and dream and on it goes.
    my big fear ...is that opium will become fairly widely available as there is far to much currently available to supply the wests heroin needs ...unless of course more heroin addicts are to be created which would be disasterous!
    my other fear ...a pice the size of a pea can be considered an overdose.
    it is very easy to smoke just a little bit more ...i feel fine just a little bit more.
    my fear is that there is going to be an opium epidemic.
  • Options
    Well the effects of tranqs and opiates are pretty close to being the same. They're both very relaxing and don't give much of a euphoric effect.

The one thing I notice with opiates is that I feel that warm fuzzy blanket around me and I feel very close to the people I'm with. I have an urgency to talk but I usually never do because it seems so boring at the time. I get very obsessed into what I'm doing and I don't feel the analgestic effect until basically the comedown, whereas with a couple of tranqs I feel tired and bored and all I want to do is sleep.

I guess if you're like me, downers are somewhat of a good drug because of the relaxation state you're in. I've always wanted to try speed though. I've 'tried' coke, meaningthat basically some guy popped up with some coke at a party I was at once and a lot of people were afraid to do it. I just said "hell with it" and put some on my finger and a small bump on one of my keys. Long story short, I hardly felt anything (not that it was a high enough dose to really do anything) but I just kind of felt my whole face go numb and the stuff I had on my finger was in my mouth so that went numb too. I got sped up for about 5 minutes and then I came down. Kind of a lame drug for how much one purchases it for.
  • Options
    thanks for all your input, but i was wondering if there were any specific downers which people have encountered that are both available and enjoyable?

Valium doesnt sound to hot an idea

:(
  • Options
    In terms of depressants, erm, codine as alright, but no better than that.

Alcohol can be good.

I find Zopiclone is very good for insomnia.
  • Options
    got a bottle of codiene phosphate (i think thats what it is) in my cabinet at home.

Have seen people carry one of these around to swig from (although obviously it would be nice to know how much you are taking) at college parties.
    Alcohol can be good

oh bong, he of knowledge, wit and dry humor :D

i used to go out and get bladdered til about 3am and have to work breakfast the next day @7am.

i'd get up, still pissed, and drop 4 co-codomol tablets. i used to love doing that because, for about 2 hours until my MONUMENTAL hangover kicked in, id be in this floaty dreamworld where i'd actually bother chatting to customers for a little while and run around generally brightening up everyones morning.

my team leader asked me once if i'd been pilled up the night before and not come down yet!:D
  • Options
    Alcohol and co-codamol tablets are NOT good to mix. Not only are you mixing alcohol with a downer (very bad news) but your compounding the problem by adding paracetmol in there too.

Dont do that, its really bad for you.

In terms of dose, I'd say about 100-150mg of codine is about a starting dose. Though probably 100mg on your first go. Having said that playing with opiates, even codine isnt all that wise.
  • Options
    yeah i forgot to add thats its been a while since i did that (at least a year) as i came by similar information about it being bad news and have not done it since, but thanks for reminding me

i have recently fallen out of love with alcohol again, and in my freshers week as well :rolleyes:

oh yeah and by the way i just thought i'd let you know that i've decided to take a Pharmacology module in my 1st year. The reason i mention this is (as well as reasons relating to Philosophy that i wont bore you with now), hanging around this board has really provoked my curiousity into the chemical workings of the brain, so thanks to everyone who's involved

:)
  • Options
    Well hopefully thats a good thing. I know a bio-chemist who got involved in it a similar way.
  • Options
    ok, having procured a bottle of Codiene Linctus from the chemist, that is of the concentration of 15mg in 5ml, i will be taking 35ml, equivilant to a dose of 105mg Codiene.

100-150mg was the dose of pethidine that i used to take, so should be ok with this.

anyone know of any serious problems with doing this?
  • Options
    Lets not be hasty here, I havent recomended you abuse an over the counter drug at all.

I said that a dose of about 100-15mg of codine can be used, but I have no idea what else is in that solution. Make sure you check.

Though having said that many of the other drugs which may have been included couldnt be active in 35ml. Paracetamol for example.
  • Options
    Lets not be hasty here, I havent recomended you abuse an over the counter drug at all.

ok sorry i didnt realise my posting could be construed in such a way and have edited my post accordingly.

This linctus contains only codiene phosphate as an active ingredient, the linctus is composed of citric acid, sodium benzoate, E110 ...etc

my (admittedl limited) research indicates that this should be ok (and yes im sure timothy leary probably sadi the same thing at some point).
  • Options
    You know I cant recomend you do something like that. I'm more than willing to tell you how to do something safely, but that doesnt mean I'm recomending it.

Where did you get this linctus anyway?
  • Options
    You know I cant recomend you do something like that. I'm more than willing to tell you how to do something safely, but that doesnt mean I'm recomending it.

no i understand and appreciate that, and i really didnt mean to that statement to be worded as it previously was.

the linctus is a standard over the counter remedy to be used as a cough supressant. bought it in a chemists today.
  • Options
    You may well find that you get really itchy with codine. That and your tolerance will sky rocket very quickly if you use it on a regular basis.
  • Options
    ok, in the end i tracked down this source via erowid Codeine information page

took 195mg initially, which fully came on after about 20-30mins. felt warm, relaxed, usual opiate stuff. went upstairs and talked to a few people from around the block (of student flats that i live in) for a while before they went out.

came back home, went on the net for a bit, talked to a mate of mine who i havent seen for ages.

supplumented the initial dose with a further 75mg about 2 hours later.

that kicked in after about 20 mins, so i just sat and played silent hill 2 until i decided that i couldnt be bothered with it anymore and just layed in bed until i went to sleep.

yes, a very boring night on the face of it, but made all the better by the codeine.

i probably will not be making too regular a habit of this, for all the reasons of enhanced tolerance and addiction potential, but also because i have work to do and this did not help that situation! (but neither does going out and getting pissed :chin: )

on the whole and enjoyable, if not amazing experience but one that will definately be practiced in extreme moderation.

oh yeah and you itch like a bastard :D

thanks for all of your advice :thumb:
  • Options
    Not a problem. As I said you will find your tolerance goes up very quickly, and the itching will get worse if you do more.

It will also give you constipation and sap your sex drive.

I think you gave an accurate description of its effects though.
  • Options
    ok, last night i did the codeine linctus thing again, but this time some other effects where apparrent.

@ 19:40 i took 250mg, after a meal, which took about half an hour to come on.

I was in my kitchen chatting shit to my flatmate, when i began to feel the effects.

I was also conscious of my itching, which was becoming quite blatant so i decided to go back to my room.

When i got in, the itching was driving me mad, waaaay worse than any other opiate experience i have ever had.

My head was like an ants nest, i had to wash the gel out so that it would feel less irritated.

After washing my hair, i lay on my bed and i felt quite fucked. The increased dose had a noticable strength difference. The itching began to subside about 1 hour after ingestion.

After wathcing a few BBC documentaries, (i noticed that i couldnt be bothered to do anything, didnt even want to phone anyone or think, just lay their and 'be') it was 21:50 and i decided to take another dose, as the effects had all but subsided (or so i thought)

I took an additional 125mg, which came on (i think) about 30-40mins later i decided to go to sleep. As I lay my head down, just after closing my eyes i actually began to hallucenate, in the sense of my brain inventing vivid day dreams that i hadnt told it to :D . I was in the middle of a shop, but an 'impossible shop' like an Escher drawing. People were being served on the far side of the counter, and the counters formed a box around me, people were talking, but then they were the other side and waaaahhhh! Delirium. I knew this was a hallucination because i could open my eyes.

About 00:05, some IDIOT from telemarketing phoned me, got me out of my trippin half sleep and asked me if i was ok, and anounced himself as George from telemarketing. I asked him if he knew what time it was (he did) and i told him to get rid of my number and never call again.

I had a terrible and broken night of sleep. The second dose really fucked me up, and i think i may have done too much on that occasion.

I also woke up late and missed my lecture :mad:

This was a profoundly trippy experience after the second dose, is this normal or a predictable effect?
  • Options
    ok im now on my third bottle of codeine.

I just took 265mg at about 10:30pm, and i cannot get to sleep.

I feel tired but a little bit irritable (a situation did arise earlier that gave me cause for this but it wasnt anything major) and it is not that dissimilar to a very very very mild version of a pill comedown.

I have had a very poor diet over the last little while and have started smoking roll ups again, but also when i first layed my head down and started to go to sleep, i had this weird pre-sleep dream thing (its happened before as stated in previous posts above) where cakes and sweets of different colours and shapes were falling of of a conveyor belt. :confused:

this is all very weird, especially the hallucenation things.
  • Options
    Please be careful Martin, it is possible to get addicted. Masking your problems with an opiate is really not wise.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Please be careful Martin, it is possible to get addicted. Masking your problems with an opiate is really not wise.

Exactly what I was going to say, look after yourself MB

S x
  • Options

i dont think its quite that, but i understand what you are saying

i am more concerned with the hallucenogenic parts of my experience, it was'nt something i was counting on happenning:confused::)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    i am more concerned with the hallucenogenic parts of my experience, it was'nt something i was counting on happenning:confused::)

This page from the codeine information website states the following as side effects -
    Suppression of the sensation of and emotional response to pain, euphoria, drowsiness, lethargy, relaxation, dizziness, difficulty in concentrating, decreased physical activity in some users and increased physical activity in others, mild anxiety or fear, nervousness or restlessness, pupillary constriction (pinpoint pupils), confusion, blurred vision, impaired night vision, hallucinations (eg 'corner-eye' hallucinations, seeing 'spiders' and 'bugs'), suppression of cough reflex.
    So it doesn't seem unusual that you should have had hallucinations while you were in a dream-like state.
    I can only add to what Bong and Susie have said MB, please be careful, even if you plan on this being a little diversion it could so very easily turn into something you didn't intend. Take care of you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by junker

I've 'tried' coke, meaningthat basically some guy popped up with some coke at a party I was at once and a lot of people were afraid to do it. I just said "hell with it" and put some on my finger and a small bump on one of my keys. Long story short, I hardly felt anything (not that it was a high enough dose to really do anything) but I just kind of felt my whole face go numb and the stuff I had on my finger was in my mouth so that went numb too. I got sped up for about 5 minutes and then I came down. Kind of a lame drug for how much one purchases it for.
    are you saying you put the coke in your mouth?
  • Options
    I thort you could rub coke into your gums???

i have done this before but with to small an amount to really do anthing although i didnt realise this at the time.
    All that it did was really numb my gums and then procede to numb my throat when i swallowed to the point where i convinced myself i couldnt breath and then nearly choaked on the water that people were trying to force me to drink because i couldnt fully swallow it

a loverly experience by all accounts :p