Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

really, why are drugs illegal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To me, this no longer makes sense. Now there might seem like an obvious answer, but if you look at it from another angle......

1. This is one of the main infringements on human rights, the right to do whatever the fuck you want to do within reason, drugs dont harm anyone else directly, so why does the government care so much?

2. Illegalizing something as popular as drugs only drives it underground, making it less safe and creates a black market worth billions of dollars that funds organised crime, which costs governments worldwide a lot of money and resources to combat.

3. Surely if the argument to ban drugs was based on scientific research (isnt it?) that its dangerous for you, by that reasoning alcohol and fags would also be illegal, as there are more drinking and smoking related deaths/illnesses, not to mention drunken violence and vandalism, which costs the NHS and govt.

4. But instead, they stick a tax on it (can you imagine how much money they would make from taxing all drugs, better yet making and supplying them?), and in this case respect free choice (we know what it does to us - although initially the govt failed to educate the public properly, probably cause they couldn't/can't stop it.

5. This is the messed up bit, we live in a democracy so technically any decision made by the govt is representative of the people.....so when drugs were outlawed did it go to a public vote? no, we trusted our govt was acting responsibly based on scientific research to protect us, but are they? Our opinon of drugs is based on years of propaganda (weed is one example) spread by the government and passed down the generations. They have in effect influenced/brainwashed the masses (and future politicians...) on this one so there is now a strong anti-drug sentiment among people which reinforces the popular belief that drugs are bad, fullstop. (get it?) clever thing media/propaganda is.

So, knowing all this, what could the governments real reason be for banning drugs.....

a) If more people used drugs it would probably slow the world down and make us less productive, which govts wouldnt want, but would this be so bad? some of the friendliest and most interesting people i've met are druggies/stoners, and theres no rush to wreck our planet is there?

b) People use drugs for a simple reason: to expand their mind. Using drugs promotes free and independent thinking in ways not possible through 'normal thought', activates different parts of the brain etc. So could it be that our governments are trying to stifle creativeness and independence, and what's the ultimate purpose? because we might wake up and overthrow our govt to give the power back to the people......i think the hippies were on to something in the 60s there was a hint of a revolution, must have scared the govt and i think they clamped right down on drugs since then........personally i believe the govt's (around the world) only worry is how to appease the people (Parliament was originally created as a joke to do just this) so they can get on with running the globe......

I'm aware its a bit controversial, but give it some thought there is some strange sense to it.

Basically, fighting drugs and the crime that goes hand in hand costs us all a lot of money, for what? The world economy would benefit from drug legalisation, and best of all if drugs were legal, you wouldnt need the DEA :)

Comments

• Options
    Heard it all before, theres nothing we can do due to the amount of controversy that surrounds even the tiniest tweak of the drug laws.
  • Options
    i think you miss the point doofay, although i would love drug laws to change its not gonna happen anytime soon........my point was the government's ulterior motive for banning drugs worries me, if you've heard it all before than im preaching to the converted, but i doubt most ppl see it that way.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    from my other half:

we have to remember that we're dealing with other generations that our own,who have been brought up and taught that recreational drugs are bad so it's up to us to "re-educate" them but we have to realise that WE are the minority......recreational drug users make up only a tiny percentage of the population and we will always be the minority

so this "re-education" will be an uphill battle and as long as we have "cranks" controlling the media, telling Joe Public that drugs are bad (and we have to realise that most of them are) then the legalisation of recreational drug use will never happen
    ths is not strictly true ...in the 1920's cocaine and cannabis were legit and massively popular.
    so the generations thing don't work/.
    viking boats that are dug up contain hiuge slabs of cannabis resin.
    drugs and their use are only a pronblem for society at large when they are made illegal.
    people are unfder the illusion that drugs turn you into a criminal.
    if these things were legal ...there woiuld be no exuse for criminal behaviour.
    anyway ...nmost police time seems to be taken uop dealing with alcohol related crime ...and hospitalsss are full of the victims of nicotine ...biut somehow it dont register.
  • Options
    Cannabis was originally made illegal in america due to large corporations, if i remember correctly.

Nothings changed there then.
  • Options
    lets take cannabis ...if it was legal for everyone to grow it ///
    it's a weed that will grow almost anywhere in any conditions ...how would the great drug companies deal with the favct that millions of people had it growing pon their windowsil ...headaches migraines glucoma aids spina bifida cancer arthritis ...etc etc ...all relieved and even improved ...for free?
    the only side effect being pleasant? as opposed to what the chemical comps offer wuth side effects of not being able to slreep ...agitaion ...loss of appetite etc etc ...
    how do you think the drug companies view that prospect>?
    how do you think the govs of the western world see billions of quids flooding into the third world?
    how do you see the cotton industry dealing with it?
    the nylon industry dealing with it?
    the oli/petrol industry dealing with siuch a remarkable plant?
    opium ...for centuries used to deal with old age ...your 80 ...you have opium daily ...youe appetite is minimul ...your pain is almost nion existant ...your demand s are few ...so cheaply?
    what about the brewers and distillers ...if the people were allowed the choice?
    theres no money to be made ...cos we can all grow it ourselves so easily!
    always have been able to.
  • Options
    many many legal drugs are far far more addictive/dangerous/have more sideaffects than many illegal ones. prozac for an example
  • Options
    well it only takes one party to sign international drug agreements which ties our hands for a lifetime.......besides lib dems are going in the right direction think they'll decriminalise weed......but two party politics is a bit of a joke to democracy, they only differ on the petty issues......
  • Options
    it will take a huge revlution to change any of the things we want. and i mean a war against the goverment and the people. it's on it's way. somethings gotta give.
  • Options
    afaik the only prerequisites for getting into politics is to be absolutely two-faced and able to lie at will.
  • Options
    The only people who want drugs legalised are all too often those with a hidden agenda, those who have something to hide. As for the nonsense concept of "human rights", there are also responsibilities to be considered.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    The only people who want drugs legalised are all too often those with a hidden agenda

Look, it makes no difference whether they're illegal or not to us - we do them anyway.
    It's my honest belief that the decriminalisation of drugs with a proper system in place would be of benifit to society as a whole.
    Making criminals out of drug users doesn't only serves to create more problems.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The decriminalisation of drugs would be my nightmare scenario. I do not want to walk in a street where the people are all in a trance. I do not wish to visit the town where people are always getting into fights, thanks to ghastly illegal substances. This is not something I would want to see.
  • Options
    People who wish to take drugs can do so, but don't shove it down my throat.
  • Options

We don't. Each to their own IMO.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who don't take drug that liek to ram their narrowminded opinion down our throats i.e. Drugs are bad.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't take drug that like to ram their narrow-minded opinion down our throats.

My views are my own.
  • Options
    My views are my own.

Based on what? Government and media hysteria I suppose.
    Why do you think that decriminalistaion would so bad?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    who is shoving down your throat then?
    you have voluntarily joined in this discussion ...not with any knowledge about the topic at all though from what i can see.
    i have been taking illegal substances for 36years.
    i'm 51 and extremely fit and healthy.
    my freinds of the same age who just did the usual pub routine are ...mostly fat and nackered!
  • Options
    Morrocan Roll seems to have a vendetta against me anyway ever since I joined. Now, I don't approve of your lifestyle. You probably don't approve of mine. So, we won't be able to agree on this come what may.
  • Options
    Morrocan Roll seems to have a vendetta against me anyway ever since I joined. Now, I don't approve of your lifestyle. You probably don't approve of mine. So, we won't be able to agree on this come what may.
    i don't do vendettas.
    please come up with an alternative to the massive failure of criminalising drug use.
  • Options
    Decriminalising drugs, I would in theory support. But maybe we could have allocated places for people to take these drugs in a safe environment. The drugs themselves would be purer, and maybe the Government could tax it as well.
  • Options
    Decriminalising drugs, I would in theory support. But maybe we could have allocated places for people to take these drugs in a safe environment. The drugs themselves would be purer, and maybe the Government could tax it as well.

So whats the difference between that and legalisation then?

Personally I'm not for full legalisation, I think if it were to be done over night it would be a massive nightmare. We as a society are FAR from ready from it. However we could do it, it would just take a long time.

As as for drug users 'only harming themselves' frankly thats rubbish isnt it. We live in a society, our actions reflect on others. OD's and other harm done by drugs cost the NHS a lot. Its the same as alcohol.

As I have said before, it is not that liberalisation of the drug law is a good idea. Thats not the point. It is that liberalisation is a BETTER idea than what we have.
  • Options
    The decriminalisation of drugs would be my nightmare scenario. I do not want to walk in a street where the people are all in a trance. I do not wish to visit the town where people are always getting into fights, thanks to ghastly illegal substances. This is not something I would want to see.

Er, isn't this post in politics as well,

Anyway, this is what a lot of people claim would happen if drugs were decriminalised: the world would go mad with drugged up, scary people, I really don't think this would be the case.

Firstly we already have this situation with alcohol, do you think that should be made illegal?

Many illegal drugs, cannabis, ecstacy, heroin, acid, do not make people violent, a lot of the times it is the complete opposite. They may make people a bit trippy, but dosages differ, and mostly you aren't in this trance where you don't know what you are doing, you can function well, but your perception is a bit different.

Drugs such as a cocaine are a diiferent matter, as it is highly addictive and does make some people aggresive.
  • Options
    The only people who want drugs legalised are all too often those with a hidden agenda, those who have something to hide. As for the nonsense concept of "human rights", there are also responsibilities to be considered.

Then why do top police officers, some politicians, top health professionals and most substance misuse workers want drugs legalised?
  • Options

Sounds like Croydon on a Friday night.
  • Options
    Croyden is a nightmare at any time of the week.

And as for this hidden agenda, what hidden agenda?
  • Options
    ive always said taht the best argument legalising weed and selling dope in shops was because the current state of the law on this point renders necessary connections with drug dealers.. once you have this connection, heroine is only a phone call away.

thanks,
    alex
  • Options
    Well I wouldnt go that far. There is normally a difference between cannabis sellers and heroin dealers.

BUT, I think cannabis does work as a gateway drug for MDMA and sometimes amphet and cocaine.
  • Options
    Stargalaxy

I have to say that unfortunately what this chap has posted seems to be the view of somebody who has absolutely no idea of what they are actually talking about... You are more describing the results of alcohol - which are now an everyday occurance.

Sure, everybody has an opinion - it's just I would usually base an opinion on either fact or experience... Of which I don't believe either are in evidence here... All too common in this age of tabloid doom mongering and Governmental misinformation.

I understand that you are currently on certain prescribed substances fr depression which is fair enough, but you cannot relate this to what is actually under discussion now.

G.
  • Options
    Re: Stargalaxy
    Originally posted by g_angel007
    I

I understand that you are currently on certain prescribed substances fr depression which is fair enough, but you cannot relate this to what is actually under discussion now.

G.
    well yes you can realy ...some of us self medicate very sucsessfully.
    but illegaly unfortunately.
  • Options
    Nooooooooo Rolly, I think you got my meaning wrong...

I meant even though he is taking prescribed substances, about which he could say "I take so and so, hence I know what I'm talking about here" which are NOT the subject under discussion - illegal drugs.

The effects of these illegal drugs he has no idea about, taking his "people getting into fights" etc etc etc comments which is what I was meaning about he cannot relate his experience of prescribed substances.

Groovy?

G.