Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yippee I have a job!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am now an office administrator and I start on Monday. I'm really happy and excited about it but...

I know this is going to sound stupid but I've been told I'm going to be doing invoices, quotations, costing sheets and lots of other things, and I'm unsure about them. I know what invoices are but I'm not sure about the others. So if anyone has done this sort of thing before, could they possibly run me through what I have to do so I don't look a complete dimwit?

Any advice about this stuff will be gratefully received. Before anyone says it, I know this is in the wrong forum but I need the advice as soon as possible.

I thought all I'd be doing would be copytyping, photocopying, filing and answering the telephone, now I've got all this to think about :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, congratulations on getting your new job. Quotations could be a number of things, depending on what type of company it is. This simply means a price that something could potentially cost were someone to buy from you. For example, if I wanted to get car insurance, I would ring around and ask how much it would cost. Their replies would be "quotes".

Costing sheets are simply tables which state the income, outcome, and profit margin of the company. For example, if you buy an item for £100 and sell it on for £70, you'd make a £30 loss. The costing sheets would simply show this data in spreadsheet form. Before you ask, no, I haven't worked in an office before, but I learned about these things during a period of Work Experience I did years ago.

Copy-typing, photocopying, filing and answering the telephone may be part of administration, but these other duties must be done. You will pick up on these duties very quickly if you want to learn and are committed to your work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    Firstly, congratulations on getting your new job. Quotations could be a number of things, depending on what type of company it is. This simply means a price that something could potentially cost were someone to buy from you. For example, if I wanted to get car insurance, I would ring around and ask how much it would cost. Their replies would be "quotes".

Costing sheets are simply tables which state the income, outcome, and profit margin of the company. For example, if you buy an item for £100 and sell it on for £70, you'd make a £30 loss. The costing sheets would simply show this data in spreadsheet form. Before you ask, no, I haven't worked in an office before, but I learned about these things during a period of Work Experience I did years ago.

Copy-typing, photocopying, filing and answering the telephone may be part of administration, but these other duties must be done. You will pick up on these duties very quickly if you want to learn and are committed to your work.

I know excel and I did GNVQ Business so I know a lot of it, I guess I'm just unsure of myself. Thank you for what you said, I will keep it mind.

x
  • Options
    In that case, hunnypot, you have nothing to fear, nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    You wont look like a dimwit I promise you. Just ask things youre not sure about. They wont expect you to know how to do it all on your first day.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the new job. Beauty of the first day ina job is they don't expect much from ya then. I'ms ure they will show you what ya have to do. And if there is anything you are unsure about. Make sure you ask as someone has always ready said. End of the day it will make you look worse if ya guess what you should do and end up you have been doing it wrong, all cause you didn't ask. Ya know?

At least by asking them questions, it shows them how keen you are in the job which they will love.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    You wont look like a dimwit I promise you. Just ask things youre not sure about. They wont expect you to know how to do it all on your first day.

:yes: unless they're really mean, they'll try and help you if you don't know what to do :)
  • Options
    You'll be fine it's just a case of applying text book to real life situations:)
  • Options
    Congrats on the job...
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    For example, if you buy an item for £100 and sell it on for £70, you'd make a £30 loss
    ...but I'm only posting because I laughed out loud when I read the example above :lol:. How about an example that actually makes a profit for the company - she's got to impress her boss on Monday :D