Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Thoughts on keyboards

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
and also mice.

I was thinking of getting a cordless keyboard and mouse set. Optical mouse of course.

What should I pay (saw for £20 in some PC world subsidiary) and what's worth getting?

Comments

• Options
    Not much of a fan of cordless keyboards, the batteries seem to run out too quickly and the response can be iffy. There are bluetooth ones these days but they cost £££
  • Options
    wireless isnt *too* bad. I have a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard. whenever I play first person shooters my batteries run down in less than a day though, duracells at that.

I woulden't get a wireless keyboard unless you like have a windows media edition pc or something that would allow some distance from the screen. a wireless mouse is quite decent though, for office stuff and the occasional game!
  • Options
    I've bought a couple of wireles Infra-red keyboards in the past, and they're both a bit pants.
    The first was a full size keyboard, and has a fantastic range and angle of reception, but the keys need to be fully depressed to make contact, which makes typing slow. Also, its repeat rate is slow, and it has an auto cut off after so many repeats to save power (incase you accidentally have something pressing a key) which interferes with playing games.
    The next was a compact laptop style keyboard with built in mouse device. However, it had such a poor angle of reception that you have to have it pointing right at the reciever, and therefore it's no good having it on your lap on the sofa if that means it can't point at the reciever, or if you knee gets in the way. So it's fairly useless.
    I don't think I'll be bothering with another cordless keyboard again. :no: Not unless I can give it a full test/trial first.

I have an IR cordless mouse, made by A4 Tech, and that's brilliant! Even for fast paced shooter games like Quake. Battery life is good too.