Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

England not ready

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Story here

You think we'd be good at terrorism by now wouldn't you?

Comments

• Options
    Re: England not ready
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Story here

You think we'd be good at terrorism by now wouldn't you?

That report is very scary, I'm not that surprised though.
  • Options
    To be fair, part of me wants to say 'so what, who gives a fart' because really Aylesbury Vale county council aren't likely to get attacked by terrorists. Really, it's a boring home-counties town of 60000. Really, not everywhere is a target, a parish council doesn't need an emergency plan because no-one's going to dirty bomb the village hall.
  • Options
    , likely target for an attack. A guarenteed target during all out war.
    I'm just glad I live and work rurally hehe.
    I've already got my plan for survival mapped out.
  • Options
    To be honest we cannot do much more than give the emergency services the best training possible. The public at large cannot be trained... If there was to be an attack on the London Underground you can be sure panic will ensue, people will stampede through and it will be utter chaos.

It is not very reassuring though when Fathers for Justice threw that purple powder balloon into the Commons chamber and rather than sealing the House until the all-clear was given, MPs were allowed to do a runner and potentially spread a dangerous agent.
  • Options
    To be fair, part of me wants to say 'so what, who gives a fart' because really Aylesbury Vale county council aren't likely to get attacked by terrorists. Really, it's a boring home-counties town of 60000. Really, not everywhere is a target, a parish council doesn't need an emergency plan because no-one's going to dirty bomb the village hall.

you forget that we have RAF Strike Command a short drive from us.
  • Options
    that's true. but they'd attack Halton or Bicester if they wanted to get at MOD and RAF stuff near us. Not central Shitebury.
  • Options
    Can anyone really be surprised to discover that Britain's emergency services would not be able to cope, thanks mainly to the incompetence and mismanagement of the last few years by failed politicians?
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    thanks mainly to the incompetence and mismanagement of the last few years by failed politicians?

Do you beleive we were better able to cope with a terrorist threat before then?
  • Options
    I live in Wrexham

Terrorists would drive through and think "oh fuck, this place has already been bombed several times" so really, I don't care.

In my opinion this whole scare mongering about terrorist attacks, trying to get votes for Tony Blair who is 'keeping us safe' by making us aware of these 'dangers'.
  • Options
    that's true. but they'd attack Halton or Bicester if they wanted to get at MOD and RAF stuff near us. Not central Shitebury.

but if they use a missile that has a large area of devestation? for example, destructive gases may well travel far!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Your country isn't safe for the 2012 olympics. They should never have given you the chance to house them.

(In case you didn't understand it already, that was a :p)
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    but if they use a missile that has a large area of devestation? for example, destructive gases may well travel far!

A missile that big must be fired from a stable launchpad. It'd be a country attacking us, not a terrorist group. Though the contamination may spread, the amount of gas needed to be at a poisonous level from somewhere as far away as halton would be near unbelievable. A dirty bomb, now that is more realistic. But if I got the components into the country, I wouldn't waste it at RAF Halton.
  • Options
    I think perhaps we should be concentrating on lowering the chances of us being attacked rather than just preparing for such an event.

Things like not annoying virtually every muslim in the world would be a good start.

That and not interning many muslims in this country on suspect charges.

Or, maybe speaking out against torture would be a good idea, in Israel, Russia and the US.
  • Options
    Well if you're going to state the obvious.
  • Options
    Well if you're going to state the obvious.
    Another profound, meaningful and not-in-the-slightest-bit-patronising comment from Fiend_85 then...
  • Options
    You know bong and I have an interesting dynamic.

You must admit that if we weren't pissing people off we'd be in a safer position now.