Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why the increase in teenage suicides?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
While I don't have any stats to hand, the media and the psychiatric profession both speak about the increasing numbers of teenage suicides. I'm intrigued to opinions - anyone have any ideas?

x

Erea V (long-time lurker)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Why the increase in teenage suicides?
    Originally posted by Erea Vayen
    While I don't have any stats to hand, the media and the psychiatric profession both speak about the increasing numbers of teenage suicides. I'm intrigued to opinions - anyone have any ideas?

x

Erea V (long-time lurker)
    are they less and less equipped emotionaly to deal with reality?
  • Options
    Wider admition of suicide?
  • Options
    Re: Why the increase in teenage suicides?

Kids are stupid.
  • Options
    I agree with Fiend, there is less of a stigma with suicide these days, so people are more ready to admit it when it happens in there family.

Also, some suggest that the western society of today is more detached, the family is more disjointed, traditional communities are becoming less frequent especially in cities, going to church is decline, and I read in the Guardian a few weeks back that in something like 20 years about 1/4 of people will live alone, it also says although we are prospering, most are dissatified with life. Maybe this detachment is leading to a rise in suicide in general?
  • Options
    so doesnt that just mean more people in today's world are unhappy and disillusioned........?
  • Options
    I don't say it is very good but anyway,.... it is good in some sense.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    I ,.... it is good in some sense.
    it is?
  • Options
    Didn't know there are more suicides. :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it is?
    I think… though it’s just my theory, that high rate of suicides is a side effect of an intellectual and emotional progress. As traffic accidents are a side effect of a technological progress. Primitive societies don’t know suicides. In ancient Athens there were lots of suicides while in Sparta they didn’t have them.
  • Options
    I think… though it’s just my theory, that high rate of suicides is a side effect of an intellectual and emotional progress. As traffic accidents are a side effect of a technological progress. Primitive societies don’t know suicides. In ancient Athens there were lots of suicides while in Sparta they didn’t have them.
    fantastic!
  • Options
    I've actually been thinking about this recently and I do think there are several factors. One thing that stands out to me is that kids do seem to be over-pressured on several fronts, education, the media, peers etc

With education for an example it seems that if you do well, the press start screaming your exams are too easy but anything less than ten A's and your a failure.

Another factor seems be the use of certain anti-depressants i.e seroxat, prozac etc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3675878.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3656110.stm
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab

Another factor seems be the use of certain anti-depressants i.e seroxat, prozac etc

have you seen the news about canada and parts of france banning all kinds of scents/perfumes/air fresheners in public places?
    reckoned to be worse than tobbacco smoke. apparently our chemical perfumes and stuff are triggering not only asthma but migraines and serious depression.
    if you want your living space to smell fresh ...the advice is to open a window.
    see if i can find the link.
  • Options
    Increase in pressure surrounding teenagers?
    People never used to have to do examinations repeatedly throughout their school years, aged 4-18 and then onto higher education. I mean you've got 3 sets of SATs, mock GCSES, GCSEs, ASs, As plus all the CATs and silly little tests the schools give you. I also think the economy has something to do with. Linking it with social classes and all, bullying rates are going up aswell. Well in my experience.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    so doesnt that just mean more people in today's world are unhappy and disillusioned........?

Why would people be more unhappy now, in a more accepting and open society, than at any time in history?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Why would people be more unhappy now, in a more accepting and open society, than at any time in history?
    Maybe that's why. We're so open that there is no right or wrong, no truth, no meaning to life?
  • Options
    To Morrocan Roll
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    fantastic!
    Your ‘fantastic’ sounds as ‘stupid’….
    But please think
    Which a kind of friend do you love more-
    Sensitive guys and girls with strong emotions and deep feelings who just can’t tolerate bullying, insults, any kind of injustice, who suffer more, whose nerves are on their skin, for whom life is a minefield with this all stupidity, cruelty, intolerance, all kinds of shit we go through every day… and who - yes! - tend to fall into depression and even commit suicide
    Or
    Rhino-skinned, emotionally stupid, always-optimistic idiots for whom a spit on their face is like a raindrop?
  • Options

The scary thing is...he has a point.

In primitive societies one doesn't have the time to be depressed, because oen is always looking for the next meal or fighting the next battle.

Depression and mental illness isn't a new thing, but people have the time and the understanding to admit to it now. They never used to.

Though when you think of something as complex as the brain, it's hardly surprising that the slightest thing can fuck it up royally.
  • Options
    well fiend, society may be more open and accepting, but at the same time it is more demanding, relentless, and unforgiving......we live in a much faster society where you have to fit into the system or get squashed underfoot.......growing up we have these fantasies of what life will be like from tv, ads, celebs.........we are mollycoddled in todays society because parents are well enough off so kids are in cuckoo land, until they find out what life is really like, and boom.........too much for some people. of course bullying doesnt help either.
  • Options
    To Morrocan Roll
    Your ‘fantastic’ sounds as ‘stupid’….
    But please think
    Which a kind of friend do you love more-
    Sensitive guys and girls with strong emotions and deep feelings who just can’t tolerate bullying, insults, any kind of injustice, who suffer more, whose nerves are on their skin, for whom life is a minefield with this all stupidity, cruelty, intolerance, all kinds of shit we go through every day… and who - yes! - tend to fall into depression and even commit suicide
    Or
    Rhino-skinned, emotionally stupid, always-optimistic idiots for whom a spit on their face is like a raindrop?
    i prefer the thousands of shades inbetween your narrow types.
  • Options
    I believe the reason for the increased suicide rates in teenagers are due to the breakdown of family values and the fact that children are growing up far too quickly nowadays. There is more pressure than ever, with exams like there's no tomorrow and a deterioration in the fabric of our society. It may not be popular to say this, but it happens to be the truth.
  • Options
    Originally posted by apollo_69
    well fiend, society may be more open and accepting, but at the same time it is more demanding, relentless, and unforgiving

not in the slightest. There's a series on Channel 4 (I think) about the worlds worst century, which is actually the 1400s. Not this century, or the 1900s. It's fast but easy, I think Kermit was basically spot on that these mental illnesses only exist now because we have the time for them. It's only recently that people can afford to have time off, to have hobbies. It used to be eat, sleep, shit, work. That was it. At least for the overwhelming majority.
  • Options
    It used to be eat, sleep, shit, work. That was it.
    When did we start to piss? :D:p

I think you're over simplifying reality. It may be easy to live in the 21st century in terms of not having to hunt for food or work until dying just to make ends meet, but that doesn't explain increased incidences of suicide and mental illness in general. Increased diagnosis (and classification of personality traits into 'disorders') is one obvious explanation, but other posters have picked out media influences and outside pressures which perhaps make certain vulnerable people feel inadequate and hence get depressed.
  • Options
    Over-simplifying perhaps, but I have a point. People didn't used to talk about this sort of thing because life was too shit to.

Though increases in recognition is probably the way forward.

It's probably helps that suicides were often not covered by life insurance and that it used to be illegal.
  • Options

It's probably helps that suicides were often not covered by life insurance and that it used to be illegal.
    i think you'll find they are not now or ever have been covered by insurance.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure if they were now, which is why I was hedging my bets.
  • Options
    I wasn't sure if they were now, which is why I was hedging my bets.
    To be honest, I'm not sure it being illegal was a huge deterrent anyway.
  • Options
    Especially considering it carried capital punishment...
  • Options
    Indeed
  • Options
    when i was a kid most of our lives were spent outdoors ...in the streets. every mother in those streets were mum to every kid in the streets.
    people didn't fitted carpets or anything of real value ...if they did ...they were in a locked cabinet ...in the front room ...out of bounds.
    kids were in and out of each others houses day and night ...as were the mums ...all the dads being at work night and day.
    grannies and aunts and cousins etc all lived nearby.
    that was real comunity where if a man fell ill ...the whole street knew about it and the kids were taken in by various families to give the bloke a rest.
    babies were born at home and delivered by the midwife who lived localy or one of the nieghbours.
    that kind of comunity doesn't exist anymore.
    no i'm not saying it was somwe kind of golden age ...
    there were polio epidemics and other such shit to deal with but ...everyone was mostly in the same boat financialy and every other way.
    it meant kids always had someone to turn to ...somewhere to go ...divorce was none existant for the working classes.
    the very best of support networks existed but no one thought of them as such at the time.
    then came mass slum clearance and tower blocks ...huge roads slicing comunities in half ...populations of generations scattered far and wide ...the car ...enabling people to move ...travel further to work.
    then came books about how to be happy ...how to be a good parent ...how to enjoy sex ...all totaly unescessary but turned into essential reading.
    then came the telly etc etc ...the world of old was litteraly swept aside in the 60's.
    this new world we now inhabit is not geared toward human needs ...it's geared toward money and appearances etc.
    for all our cleverness i don't think we are designed to live like this.
  • Options
    Perhaps lack of religion is to blame?

Personally I think we're evolving too slow and society is evolving too fast for us to cope.