Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

SP2 - worth it?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is SP2 worth downloading? I hear you have major problems to setup/sahre a wireless netowrk and I cannot be arsed to to pee about with it.

Comments

• Options
    Erm, I dunno really. I have a wireless network and no problems whatsoever, I haven't actually seen that many actual changes, except it messed up my internet connection with this limit of 10 connections. There's a patch out there somewhere though *forgot where*
  • Options
    it comes free on magazine discs at the mo to save you downloading the monster.
    i've installed it ...not noticed anything different at all.
  • Options
    I'm gonan download it have a go tommorrow, it's only 100meg so not gonna take around 20 minutes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I'm gonan download it have a go tommorrow, it's only 100meg so not gonna take around 20 minutes.
    800meg surely?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it comes free on magazine discs at the mo to save you downloading the monster.
    i've installed it ...not noticed anything different at all.

didn't microsoft threaten to sue magazines for distributing it's service packs? o_O

maybe it was only in america.
  • Options
    Originally posted by noog
    didn't microsoft threaten to sue magazines for distributing it's service packs? o_O

I think they did, yes. But they seem to have relented as most of the service pack discs look "official".

You should install the service pack. Most of the problems it introduced, if any, are down to the automatic enabling of the firewall, and they can be worked around by any competent person.
  • Options

the discs are microsoft discs ...to save downloading and clogging up their servers.
    for someone on dial up it would take forever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I think they did, yes. But they seem to have relented as most of the service pack discs look "official".

You should install the service pack. Most of the problems it introduced, if any, are down to the automatic enabling of the firewall, and they can be worked around by any competent person.

See, i would say im relatively computer competent, when i installed sp2 it gave me nothing but grief, and i tried fidling around the the windows firewall on and off, and with norton firewall on and off but nothing worked so i gave up...

I still think im relatively pc competent but ii couldnt fix the problem.

theshyboyinthecorner mentioned a few weeks ago something about how he changed 10 something to 1000 but i currently cant remember what that was or indeed How to do that...
  • Options
    It was supposed to screw half my system, everything's fine. There are programs you can't use with it, but it comes with replacements. Like winzip Vers 6. but it comes with a zip program.

I'd go for it mate.
  • Options
    I have not had any problems with it and installed it on two machines. I have got a pop up blocker that it comes with which is rather good actually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    theshyboyinthecorner mentioned a few weeks ago something about how he changed 10 something to 1000 but i currently cant remember what that was or indeed How to do that...

shyboy patched his tcp/ip stack to support more than 10 connections per port, so that bittorrent etc worked faster

If it's an old pc you may find you have so much crap on there that it may be worth a full reinstall , personally i have a windows xp with sp2 intergrated onto it, with an unattended install so I can just put the disc in press a few buttons and in 20/30 mins i'm in windows xp
  • Options
    shyboy patched his tcp/ip stack to support more than 10 connections per port, so that bittorrent etc worked faster

If it's an old pc you may find you have so much crap on there that it may be worth a full reinstall , personally i have a windows xp with sp2 intergrated onto it, with an unattended install so I can just put the disc in press a few buttons and in 20/30 mins i'm in windows xp

I dont think i will bother with it then :/
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    800meg surely?

Even so, only about an hour and a biy ;<
  • Options
    I downloaded it and everything went fine. The Security Centre and Pop up blocker is a bit of a pain but other than that it's fine.

"It was supposed to screw half my system, everything's fine. There are programs you can't use with it, but it comes with replacements. Like winzip Vers 6. but it comes with a zip program."

What do you mean? I didn't know it came with anything else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza Bing

What do you mean? I didn't know it came with anything else.

It's not like buying a PS2 with splinter cell included. It's a intergrated part of SP2. Like you right click and zip, which for other windows versions you'd have to have a zip program installed, but SP2 includes it, like it includes minesweeper.
  • Options
    why is the pop up bloker a pain I think its really good. If you don't like it its not exactly difficult to turn off

Tools_Pop Up Blocker_Turn off Pop Up Blocker

????
  • Options
    right i just thought id come back on and mention this. A mate who knows his stuff with pc''s came here tonight, took me by surprise really it wasnt planned, anyway he came in and fiddled around with my pc ( coz its basically shite ) i mentioned to him about SP", which he then took it upon himself to download, he clicked custom, a few other things and it downloaded, Its working fine i havent found any probs so far, im not even going to bothe rmessing arounf with the system although he reckoned i should do a full system restore.

My point is he didnt tell me what he was doing so i dont know whats been changed and fiddled with:confused: but oh well its fine now :eek2:
  • Options
    Yes! Download SP2. If you don't, you're basically leaving your computer open to worms, as well as increasing the risk for everyone else on the internet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Me_and
    Yes! Download SP2. If you don't, you're basically leaving your computer open to worms, as well as increasing the risk for everyone else on the internet.

and terrorists, dont forget them! :)
  • Options
    and terrorists, dont forget them! :)

:lol:
  • Options
    On every computing forum I've been on (here, Overclockers and Apestyler) people have been orgasmic about this new update. It's just an update to Windows! I know that we're all interested in computers, but if it aint broke then don't fix! Get yourself a 3rd-party firewall and antivirus. Keep the defs up to date and you'll be fine. I installed Windows 2000 6 months ago and I've never ran an update on it. I run Sygate 5.5 and NAV 2003 with yesterday's virus defs. I run Mozilla/Firebird browser and use web-based email (no Active-X bollox). Safe.

Generally-speaking, once a service pack is part of the standard Windows update, then it is safe to install. Only when it is a beta you are at most risk. For the computer enthusiasts amongst us, only install a beta service pack on a secondary computer. Always make backups on your primary computer!

Regarding XP SP2, there is a list being maintained on the programs that are known to conflict such as Nero.
  • Options
    It totally screwed my OCR software, somehow I ended up with an ADSL that didn't work, and it ruined Zone Alarm and Adaware. I don't quite know what I managed to do, but everyone else had it easy. I had shitloads of problems. Did a restore in the end and can't be bothered to install it again.