Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

HELP - Drive Data Recovery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a Seagate 120 GB Hard Drive in a removable caddy, the other day I went to take a big file off of the PC downstairs and when I put the HD back in my main PC it kept saying it's a Dynamic Drive and not Basic and couldn't mount it.

I tried everything and in the end only choice was to convert it to a basic disk which shows it's unformatted, but using a program called file Scavenger I can access the drive and see all my files in tact.

But the demo version only allows you to recover files smalelr then 64kb - anyone know of a freeware program that works with drives in NTFS format?

Comments

• Options
    I use a CD called SuperERD. It boots up using XP and allows access to NTFS drives. Not sure where the guy who gave it to me got it from but maybe someone else will know.

Failing that I could e-mail you the 650Mb nero image :p
  • Options
    Try this set the disk in question up as a slave and recover what you need.

I would recommnd creating an image of your disk so you dont have to access your slave drive directly so you lower the chance of damaging files

I use System Mechanic and use it's Seach & Recover feature to create a disk image.

You can get a fully working 30 day trial here
  • Options
    Thanks guys managed to get it sorted after many, many hours of moving stuff back and forth, didn't lose too much data in the end, now all my disk are set as Basic disks not dynamic so hopefully will work better
  • Options
    It's too late for me to say now, but I was going to point you to a program called Ontrack. The demo lets you restore 6 files of any size as opposed to the 64kb limit on other demo programs. It saved my ass after I managed to wipe out my university coursework in a virus attack.