Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Norwich Union takes another 150 jobs away from the UK

Story.

Any company that outsources it's operations to another country should have a tax bill of 900% of its profits imposed upon it, and its directors should be liable to find the money if the company cannot.

If it wants to create new jobs in India then yeah, that's brilliant, but not at the expense of UK jobs. Companies need to be forced to have a moral responsibility for the places in which they are based, because profit is the only consideration they have, and that (although fair in the company's eyes) is wrong.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit, you and GWST should really sit down and watch the 3 hour documentary (which was first aired on Canadian TV I believe) called "The Corporation".

For those of us who already condemn the endless profiteering bent of modern hegemonic corporate enitities, this documentary (featuring contributions from figures both within and without the corporate arena) will leave you cold as to the extent to which corporations will go to achieve their singular aim of control and ownership and sheer avarice.

I downloaded it from P2P filesharing but here is a site for further info on the documentary...

http://www.thecorporation.tv/
  • Options
    More corporate money grabbing in my opinion.
  • Options
    Why are the jobs earmarked for the UK? Clearly there are people that need the employment elsewhere or the jobs wouldn't be moved, why should the jobs be guaranteed for the UK?

Devils advocate that I am...
  • Options
    duty of care

"sod peoples well beings and lets just make profits"

fair enough a company is there to make profit, but how can companies complain they have had a 10% fall in revenue when they still make billions of profit yearly

as i said companies are there to make profit, but not necessarily should they do it at the expense of the well being of their workers in the UK
  • Options
    Duty of care? The jobs still exist, just not in the UK.
  • Options
    ok no pocket money for you this week

im giving it to the people who just got shafted out of a job and are having trouble getting another one
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Why are the jobs earmarked for the UK? Clearly there are people that need the employment elsewhere or the jobs wouldn't be moved, why should the jobs be guaranteed for the UK?

Devils advocate that I am...

Because a company should not be allowed to put people out of work purely in order to increase profits.

If the company is going bust then that is one thing, doing it to make more money is quite another.

I have no problem with them creating jobs in Asia, I have problems with them putting people out of work to do so.
  • Options
    The whole point of business is to make money.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    The whole point of business is to make money.

Yes. It is. How observant of you.

It is the government's job to protect its people. And that extends to protecting their employment from money-grabbing scum who should be nailed by the wrists to a tree.
  • Options
    yes and how do they make that money?

by having workers

im not saying everything should be shared equally among the workers, not a comunist proposal here

but would norwich union still be in business to be able to cut costs by moving jobs, if it wasnt for the work force that built them up in the first place