Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Symantec lables Chinese censor-busting software as a "Trojan"

Story.

It's amazing how quickly companies seem to lose all concept of morals when it comes to dealing with China. Yet again, the Chinse government gets favours from US big business and government, who couldn't actually care less about "human rights" even given the wailings in Iraq and Iran and the erst of the Arab world.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Companies dont have morals, the people running them might or might not, but the companies themselves dont. They are there to make a profit and nothing else.

It is the responsibility of society and government to set and enforce guidelines within which a company may operate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Companies dont have morals, the people running them might or might not, but the companies themselves dont. They are there to make a profit and nothing else.

It is the responsibility of society and government to set and enforce guidelines within which a company may operate.

Of course.

Profit is the reason why true free-market economics can never work- a company's only responsibility is to make more money. If that means sacking all its staff and relocating to Bongo Bongo Land then so be it.
  • Options
    You know me Kermit, I'm not a total free-market capitalist. I just believe that its not the responsibility of business to be charitable, lets look at it honestly, they are there to make profits.

If they break the law then its our responsibility to punish.
  • Options
    You know me Kermit, I'm not a total free-market capitalist. I just believe that its not the responsibility of business to be charitable, lets look at it honestly, they are there to make profits.

If they break the law then its our responsibility to punish.

:yes:

The law has to make sure they behave, otherwise they won't. same with anyone in fact- more people than would ever admit it would do horrible things if they could get away with it.
  • Options
    But, businesses being amoral isnt strictly a bad thing as such, its just the way they are. Capitalism is uneven, and does lead to huge disparities of wealth, but it also creates lots of wealth and is the best system we have.

Lets face it, the rich are getting a lot richer, but so are the poor, we've never been so well off.
  • Options
    But, businesses being amoral isnt strictly a bad thing as such, its just the way they are. Capitalism is uneven, and does lead to huge disparities of wealth, but it also creates lots of wealth and is the best system we have.

Lets face it, the rich are getting a lot richer, but so are the poor, we've never been so well off.

The only trouble is that the rich are getting richer too quickly, if that makes sense. As much as anything, if there is low employment then companies fold, as there is nobody to buy the consumer durables, and I think the big companies forget this.
  • Options
    I can see your point, but most Western countries have ok levels of unemployment, in fact our own is bordering on being too low.
  • Options
    I can see your point, but most Western countries have ok levels of unemployment, in fact our own is bordering on being too low.

I was more meaning in the US, with the implications of NAFTA.

Ours would be bordering on the too low if it was genuine. It isn't, it's a fudge of figures. There are estates around here with 80% unemployment, though these are admittedly exceptions rather than the norm.
  • Options
    Fair point but NAFTA has been rather good on Mexico from what I've heard, and the minimal trade restrictions have been a real boost for the cocaine trade.

Blair was talking about us getting involved in that at one point, though why I'm not quite sure.
  • Options
    Hmm, if any chinaman actually keeps using Norton now they know that their internet access will once again be restricted I'll be surprised.
  • Options
    Fair point but NAFTA has been rather good on Mexico from what I've heard, and the minimal trade restrictions have been a real boost for the cocaine trade.

Blair was talking about us getting involved in that at one point, though why I'm not quite sure.

actually its been screwing mexico over, as their farmers are going out of business cause they removed all farmer subsidies, whilst USA hasnt so is flooding mexico with 'cheap' grain