Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

an american

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my infinite wisdom has somehow led me to be seeing an american, who is 17 and lives in michigan.
i really don't know how this one is going to work...
any thoughts, tips, ideas whatsoever would be useful!

Comments

• Options
    relationships don't work unless you can see your partner regularly.

Gonna be clocking up those frequent flyer miles?
  • Options
    Its wont work
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    relationships don't work unless you can see your partner regularly.

Gonna be clocking up those frequent flyer miles?

I guess my bank balance is gonna be taking a massive hit in the bollocks then...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    Its wont work

yes it will
  • Options
    all i can say is.. good luck.. she'll be touch work is shes an americain
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    all i can say is.. good luck.. she'll be touch work is shes an americain

but worth it methinks
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    but worth it methinks

Ahhhh the americain accent is a hot thing imo,
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    thing is if your gonna post this question here your going to get the reply on the whole that it wont work. Because the majority of long distance relationships do break up. If you two are really serious and want to be with each other then its up to you to make it work. Not for others to jude if it will.

I do agree with you there, I've had a few and they didn't work but a close friend of mine is now married and she met her other half on the net, Good luck carter and see what she thinks ;) you gonna meet her before you start dating?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Ahhhh the americain accent is a hot thing imo,

my mother can't understand half of what she says when she phones...

and she's normally good with understanding people, she's a teacher who deals with black kids and parents, asian kids and parents, chinese kids and parents, as well as canadian friends, an american cousin, an australian brother and a lancastrian mother.
  • Options
    Stupidly long-distance relationships rarely work, because neither partner can abandon their life in one country and move to the other. Without regular contact a relationship will wither and die, that is the inescapable fact.

There have been several people who have met their partners on here, but crucially they have moved to where their partner is, eventually.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Stupidly long-distance relationships rarely work, because neither partner can abandon their life in one country and move to the other. Without regular contact a relationship will wither and die, that is the inescapable fact.

There have been several people who have met their partners on here, but crucially they have moved to where their partner is, eventually.

I might very well do that actually...
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_carter
    yes it will

I'll belive it when i see the wedding pictures
  • Options
    Have you actually met her yet?
    Hmm... well; not something I could do. I mean I met a lad up in LondonDerry and already have doubts it'll work as I believe even he's too far away from me as I live in Belfast.

BUT; it is known how people can make these long-term relationships work. So I do wish ya good luck with it. :)

Suggest trying to keep in touch with her by phone and letters as often as you can; and maybe arrange taking turns during the holidays who's going to visit who. Remember one day, one of you is going to have to move a great distance if ya wanna make this relationship work.
  • Options
    Long-distance relationships can and do work, but both partners have to want it to work, and you have to make lots of time to visit.

When I started going out with GWST, she lived in Cumbria and I was at uni in Durham, but we saw each other most weekends, and then she came to university in Newcastle.

I don't undwerstand hwo people can ahve internet-based relationships, because physical closeness is the most important aspect of a relationship. I can understand how people becopme mates on the interweb, because GWST and I did, but we didn't become a couple until after we had moved that friendship into real life.

The other couples on here who have met here will say pretty much the same thing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    Have you actually met her yet?
    Hmm... well; not something I could do. I mean I met a lad up in LondonDerry and already have doubts it'll work as I believe even he's too far away from me as I live in Belfast.

BUT; it is known how people can make these long-term relationships work. So I do wish ya good luck with it. :)

Suggest trying to keep in touch with her by phone and letters as often as you can; and maybe arrange taking turns during the holidays who's going to visit who. Remember one day, one of you is going to have to move a great distance if ya wanna make this relationship work.

well she's kinda coming over in a week or so, which is the generalised idea behind the whole thing - i'm giving her my own personal guided tour, introducing her to the english pub, the english curry house, showing her my homeland in the way every american should be...
    but i'd like to write to her, we are calling each other quite a bit lately... i guess my frequent flier miles will mount up sooner or later, but i guess if it really does work out one of us WILL take the plunge and move, but it's early days yet and who can say...
  • Options
    What is the point of being with someone if you cannot be wuth them physical?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    What is the point of being with someone if you cannot be wuth them physical?

Who can say - i'll be with her physically, just not very often.
  • Options
    don't decide anything until you meet her.

people are usually very very different in person. you might hate each other on sight.
  • Options
    Shit off? You gonan go over to the States or something?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Shit off? You gonan go over to the States or something?

If needs be...
  • Options
    Nylon...

Sorry. Anyway I'd say 9/10 times it doesn't work out. There has to be something really special there for it to.
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    Nylon...

Sorry. Anyway I'd say 9/10 times it doesn't work out. There has to be something really special there for it to.

Don't be rude, there is life outside that pointless little noisebox in the corner...