Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are there any Great artists anymore?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Are there really any great artists anymore, I mean great like Bob Marley, Jimi Hendrix....etc, you know the type.

Whats happened to music, its gone all shite.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree, a lot of music is just rubbish out there. But we need the passing of time to actually realise the greats of an era. Maybe in 50 years we will look back and actually realise a lot of cool shit came out of the 80s/90s/00s – hip-hop, dance, drum and bass, jungle, electronica are a few examples on the music front. As for great musicians, I admit I can’t think of anyone to rival Hendrix or Marley, but as I said before it is very hard to see it when you are in it, there was probably loads of shite music in 60s/70s, we just remember the quality stuff now.
  • Options
    I can see what you mean, there was things like the Monkey's in the 60's.

But I wasnt really just thinking about the 60's, I was thinking about those artists who had that, erm, something extra. Like Elvis, his music wasnt original or anything really but he was a performer, he had that spark.

I suppose Fredy Mercury had it too, though I never really liked his music.

I cant think of one artist now that has that. Well apart from Sharkey, but outside the Hardcore scene he's not all that well known.
  • Options
    Robbie Williams has great stage presence, joss stone could also really make her mark.

It's a different environment though, and I know you're getting on a big bong, but you've got to roll with the times.
  • Options
    I'm not getting on a bit!

I guess so, Robbie has just struck me as an arogant arse though, and I've never even heard of the other one.
  • Options
    Give it a while. She has an amazing resonant voice, such depth and feeling. Just amazing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Robbie Williams has great stage presence, joss stone could also really make her mark.

It's a different environment though, and I know you're getting on a big bong, but you've got to roll with the times.

Hmm but Robbie isn't a great artist to rival the beatles or jimi hendrix, neither is joss, Robbie is a good performer, but he isn't a great musician at all, and it is too early to see were Joss will go.

Maybe Michael Jackson or I hate to say it: Madonna will be seen as greats. They know (or knew) how to do good pop music, and know what entertains.
  • Options
    Jackson used to have it, that spark. But not for a long time.
  • Options
    Kylie?
  • Options
    I think artists generally become 'great' either once they've snuffed it or once they're finished.
  • Options
    Probably, but who has such potential?
  • Options
    Give it a while. She has an amazing resonant voice, such depth and feeling. Just amazing.

she sounds like an Anesthesia (sp?) wannabe.
  • Options
    Originally posted by O_o
    she sounds like an Anesthesia (sp?) wannabe.

Anastasia? No she doesnt!! :no:
  • Options
    Probably, but who has such potential?

Well, everyone I like for a start. Everyone you like too probably. What I mean is, I would never consider Bob Marley as one of the 'greats'. I'd imagine bong considers him as one because he thought a lot of him. That's all 'greats' generally are, artists popular to a group (usually large) of people.
  • Options
    You've obviously all forgotten Girls Aloud. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    You've obviously all forgotten Girls Aloud. :rolleyes:

Their new song is the bizz. :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    Anastasia? No she doesnt!! :no:
    course she does!!
  • Options
    Joss Stone like Anastasia? Oh please, give the girl some credit.
  • Options
    Joss Stone, likle the other 47,635 female singer-songwriters, is just bland and banal. Yet another one, like Norah Jones, who is mediocre at best yet gets adoration because, in Stone's case, she is a. 17 and b. very very pretty.

The greats from this generation? You'd be looking at RHCP, the Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Eminem, and maybe even people like Fatboy Slim. As capacity said, all a "great" is is a successful and popular person- I'm another one who doesn't think that highly of Jimi Hendrix, who was only any good when he was doing covers of Dylan songs. He could play guitar, but Clapton is better.
  • Options
    Originally posted by O_o
    course she does!!

noooooooo. Joss Stone has depth and feeling. Anastacia is an Alto, they're totally different things!
  • Options
    Joss Stone has depth and feeling.

No she doesn't.

She is only successful because men would like to give her some of their depth and feeling.

Beth Orton and Isobel Campbell are ten times better.
  • Options
    More bands like Oasis is what we need. How many bands in the last 5 or even 10 years have achieved what Oasis have apart from Nirvana? No one writes music like them any more, it's all soppy teenage wank. Oasis and Nirvana are my faves and you just don't get bands that are as good as them these days. The Libertines have got potential of becoming awseome if Pete Doherty can get of the crack.. No McFly or Busted pap.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No she doesn't.

She is only successful because men would like to give her some of their depth and feeling.

Beth Orton and Isobel Campbell are ten times better.

They've got experience! Give her a chance mr anal retentive man;)
  • Options
    Sash
  • Options
    ...sorry. just noticed this was a year old.
  • Options
    Music has been killed by the record companies.

There are still great artists out there but they're all coming to the end of their lifetime. Metallica, AC/DC, Iron Maiden - they all deserve their place up there with the best of them but sadly I can't see anyone else taking their place.

The last really great band I can think of is Guns N' Roses. I would also say U2 but I hate them.
  • Options
    Rolf Harris. He's a great artist!! heh ooh :D
  • Options
    Maybe Marilyn Manson but I only really like two of his songs. The rest all sound the same really.

Think people are basically turning to the old stuff at the moment for a reason
  • Options
    Has anybody else noticed this, but when ever anyone makes a suggestion about good artists of this generation, you all mostly dismiss artists you dont like out of hand and then suggest pretty average musical artists because you like there music.

I mean Elvis and the Beatles are legendary. Madonna and Michael Jackson will go down in history like all musical artists as been great in their prime but declined in later years. You can not dismiss Joss Stone just because she is a hot blonde, she is also hugely talented but she is a "great" yet, she has only just started out. Same goes for Katie Melua and the whole new generation of female vocal artists, give them a chance.

Robbie Williams is a great singer, performer, song-writer, but not my cup of tea but i can not deny he is a future legend.

Why did i go on so long? My God, that was a pointless ramble.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Why did i go on so long? My God, that was a pointless ramble.

You said it bucko!
  • Options
    There are still great artists out there but they're all coming to the end of their lifetime.

Rubbish. There are hundreds of bands out there making great music but they just dont get the publicity.

Music is just as good as it was 40 years ago, you just need to do a bit of digging below the major label surface.